26 replies to this topic

#1 Theduckguru

Theduckguru
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

I have been snooping around the internet for used Casitas. I see very few 13ft models for sale. Has Casita sold many of these?

#2 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

THIS would be a better place to pose that question. 

#3 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

I see very few 13ft models for sale. Has Casita sold many of these? 

compared to the other trailers in their lineup the patriot (13 footer) is the least popular.  there are folks that swear by them as the coolest trailer of all...then there are those that swear at them for being so small.  i camped in one for several years before moving upstream to the palatial 16 footer.  i've no idea how many they've sold but that behemoth 17 footer if by far the most popular.

p@

• ArizonaEileen and NASA42 B like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

the choice of casita model is best decided by doing a lot of research on all the ones available. my first consideration was my tow vehicle capability, but other issues came in to play, such as total weight of the unit, gas mileage, how comfortable i would be towing and managing by myself, etc. for me the patriot deluxe made the most sense, but others prefer the extra room, larger refrigerator with freezer, etc that the larger units offer. your needs/preferences are unique and your choice of casita will be based on them. it would be good if you could attend a rally and see all of the models and meet the owners or take a factory tour in rice, texas.
i made the right choice for merlin and me and i'm sure you'll make the right choice for your needs. i don't think you can go wrong with any of the casitas, i was offered more than i paid for sassie cassie on my 3rd camping trip out solo and she generates much interest wherever we go. good luck on your search, let us know which model/style/year you end up with, safe travels, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

Couldn't agree more with Claire. We've owned our 13-footer for 8 yrs. It's a '98. We've gone around the US 2.5 times. It tows easily with a 4 cylinder car, except of course uphill, but we're not in a hurry. We use the same vehicle for daily use so we wanted reasonable mileage. Neither of us wanted a bathroom. We just wanted a place to sleep and a place to cook and a place to eat indoors if the weather was inclement. We modified the front bunk area to a dinette and that has made camping life perfect. We also looked at price. Didn't want to spend too much. We bought ours used for a decent price, modified it to our liking with help from handy friends. One of the other considerations is your height because the bed is not big and you sleep widthwise across the back of the trailer. My husband is 5'8" and so it's perfect for him. I think he used to be 5'9" and it still worked. If you're a single person, there should be no problem.
Good luck in your search. Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#6 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

I love my 2000 13 footer it has everything, Just winterized it--but I keep the power to it-Battery out -so everything still works,,I still campout in my Field where it is sitting.
NOPE sorry not for sale.
sparky1 in southern Va.

#7 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Golf, Travel

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

I want to buy a Patriot. I mostly camp alone. It will have everything a solo traveler would need. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Taco 6 4x2 with tow package.

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

I want to buy a Patriot. I mostly camp alone. It will have everything a solo traveler would need. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Taco 6 4x2 with tow package.

place ads, check ads and you'll find one, especially in the dfw area. sometimes the factory gets one in on trade, but it will sell almost immediately so you have to be quick. i love full timing in mine. you'll love yours too, best of luck in your search...................

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

How tall are you? :D

2014 17' Casita SD

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

How tall are you? :D

per the casita website, the 13 and 16 ft trailers all have interior height of 5'10". the 17 ft trailers have interior height of 6'1 1/2", if that makes a difference to you. you might want to attend some gatherings/rallies and visit the factory if you haven't already done so. your location is perfect for really checking out all the models before making your decision. best of luck, hope you find what you are looking for soon so you can begin your adventure~

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

I've owned all three sizes the 13',16',and 17'.....

My personal preference out of all three is the 16'SD Deluxe just because of the tongue and total weight compared to the 17'....... The 17' is by far the roomiest feeling of all three.

Tongue weight on a 17' is approx 420 lbs the 16' and 13' are around 250 lbs and i have a tow vehicle which has no problem with any of them.

If you like the thought of a 13'  the 16'gives you the side table for eating and computering and the weight between the two is fairly close, also the rear of the trailer behind the tires rises up which gives you super clearance out in the trails.....

Many/Most prefer the 17' so it's a matter of going to a Rally near you and personally make your own decision as any of them are really great trailers and i prefer it over a "stickie" any day

Edited by Joe Z, 30 March 2016 - 09:34 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#12 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

i traveled in a patriot for several years before moving up to a 16sd.  while the patriot had everything i "needed", the 16er provided some things i wanted.  my bed (same size as the patriot) remains a full time bed because i have the side dinette for sitting activities. since the bed doesn't transform i've been able to install a large plastic bin that slides for lightweight foodstuffs.  the seating at the dinette was not great.  it was, in fact, dismal.  those oem cushions positioned 90 degrees to each other were a backache waiting to happen.  i've been thru several mods in an attempt to get comfy.  i'm now using a pair of overstuffed event seats from west marine and am quite pleased with this arrangement (they even have arm rests).  all the appliances in the 16er are the same as the patriot's. it's been pointed out to me that the 17er actually has less room in the "isle" due to the larger fridge being deeper.  i camp host several times a year and a month or two sitting in one place is made a lot more comfortable with the extra space.  it's very nice to be able to roll out of bed, make coffee and have a place to sit and consume it while winston the wander dog continues to snooze.  why, on slow days i can even easily sneak to the bed for a quick nap.  i did loose about an mpg with the 16'er.  some of that may be a result of the hi lift axle and 15" wheels sitting taller behind the truck.  i try to never say never, but...at this point i'm not the least bit tempted to try on one of those huge 17' versions unless a great deal comes along on a bigfoot or escape....

p@

• clairemr1 likes this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#13 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:07 AM

I am 5'8" . I am a Minimalist. 

#14 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:08 AM

I will be putting a topper on my Tacoma to store my gear.

#15 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:38 AM

I am 5'8" . I am a Minimalist. 

i am a minimalist as well and full timing in my PD. it's perfect for me and my little schnoodle dog, merlin. i bet you'd really enjoy the 13ft PD. also i have a 2015 toyota tacoma prerunner SR5 4 by 2 V6 with tow package and it can tow any of the casitas if need be. i put a leer topper on it and am very satisfied with the combination of truck and trailer.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host