Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi Charley,

If the previous owners were diligent about draining the tank between uses it may not be too bad. Electrolysis will only occur if there is water in the water heater's tank. No water - no electrolysis, and draining the tank will make your anode last virtually forever...well OK, at least several years anyway. As a rule I always pull my anode out between trips and set it aside and let the tank drain out. Without water to act as an "electrolyte" there is no path for stray galvanic current to flow so no damage occurs. If you do decide to replace the Hot Rod with a sacrificial anode, (which would be a good idea,) You really don't have much of a problem because you'll be strictly on propane. I would recommend the magnesium one over the aluminum one. I never liked the thought of having dissolved aluminum in my water, and there have been several medical studies done which at least partially blame leached aluminum (including aluminum from cooking pots) for early Alzheimer's onset. That's just my take on it, but health concerns aside, the magnesium one will also last longer, and they are the same price. FWIW, I don't use Teflon pans either, but I digress... :P

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 14 September 2014 - 12:35 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#17 Charley in Tennessee

Charley in Tennessee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 03:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Photography, Hiking, Reading, Scuba Diving, Sailing

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I just got off the phone with the previous owner and he says that he only put it in about a year ago and has used it only once last May, so I may be good for now. He drained it always to winterize it, but I don't know if it had much water left in it before I filled it up to check everything out. Thanks for the tip on the magnesium anode. More as it develops.