7 replies to this topic

#1 dmilztravels

dmilztravels
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17ft liberty Deluxe

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi all, I have a 100 watt portable solar panel I want to add to my system. It includes a charge/controller that came with the panel and 2 "Watts Up" watt meters. One to read the solar panel input and the other to read power usage. I found a wiring diagram that I think will work but am not sure where to attach the red and black wires to monitor the power usage. As indicated on the diagram, the wires to the INVERTER (disregard all the switching stuff) I would think should be connected to the Casita's power panel where the battery leads come in. If someone with good wiring insight has some input it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Dave. 

Solar Panel Wireing big.JPG

Edited by dmilztravels, 04 September 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#2 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

If you already know this accept my apology......

Red (positive) and black (negative) are on your solar panel....... On the Casita Black is the positive, and the white wire and the green wire are the negative..... Your picture is way too small for me to read it

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#3 dmilztravels

dmilztravels
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Joe, I changed the original pic to a much larger one, didn't know it was so small. I do know about wiring polarity. the real question is where to apply the solar feed so It can be monitored with the second watts up meter.

thanks Dave

#4 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Over the years i've seen many mount it to that divider board on the spirit deluxe but being you have a Liberty i would keep it as close to the battery as feasable and probably one of the overhead cabinets above the battery ,,,,, fish the wires behind the wall rug or run it alongside one of the windows nice and neat..... I'm just guessing but they probably want 10 gauge wire or better?

That picture is nice and big and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along. This site is very helpful

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#5 dmilztravels

dmilztravels
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Joe, good suggestions.

#6 dmilztravels

dmilztravels
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

I have a second concern with adding the new 100 watt panel and that is there is an existing very small roof top mounted (maybe 16"x16") solar panel with a Go Power charge/controller mounted between the closet and the bathroom which is wired to the umbilical cables that go out to the tow vehicle. The wires the controller hook to are (I think) 10 ga and also run back to the trailers power panel attaching where the battery cables come in. Which is where I want to attach the new 100 watt system. SO NOW THE QUESTION will there be any problems having two separate solar systems powering up my Casita? Assuming all the wiring has been done proper. 

#7 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

While I have an Escape, it has a built in 95 watt Go Power solar panel with a 25 amp controller.  Because I often use over 40 amp hours per day, I added a portable 160 watt panel with built in controller that I feed using the 7 pin trailer connector.  

The problem - When the batteries were moderately discharged, it seemed the output from the 95 watt panel & the GoPower controller "fooled" the inexpensive controller built into the folding portable panel & limited its output to the float level.  While the portable panel was capable of producing 8.5 amps, the best I would see was 1 - 2 amps.  If I had a heavy load on the system (for example, running the inverter) each panel & controller put out their full output.

I modified my portable panel by bypassing the built in controller, and directly connected the panels to the input of the GoPower controller.  I use a Bogart TM 2025 battery monitor to keep track of what goes into & out of the batteries, but do not directly monitor the output of the panels themselves.

Edited by vermilye, 05 September 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm not positive but would think if you want to monitor power usage you would hook it directly to the battery. That's how it is shown in your diagram also. It can be physically connected anywhere the two battery wires are connected.   That means you don't have to connect it to the battery post but can connect to anywhere those battery wires are connected. So, yes I believe you would be fine hooking them to the power panel.  Just make sure you get polarity right at all connections.  In the diagram one Wattsup is wired on the Line side of the charge controller and the other Wattsup is on the Load side.  Didn't it come with instructions?

2014 17' Casita SD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar