• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

We're firing up the engines and will be leaving for a "Casita Trip" Sept 21 ,2014

Itinerary:

From Cocoa Beach FL

Rainbow Springs SP FL

Oleno SP  FL

Andersonville GA

Chattanooga TN

Knoxville TN

Pigeon Forge TN

Cherokee NC (Rally!!!!)

Greenville SC

Savannah GA

Cocoa Beach FL

We really need campground  suggestions for Chattanooga TN, Corbin KY, Pigeon Forge TN, and Greenville SC.

When we trip generally we look for a NON resort kinds of campgrounds. We love state parks and ACE (Army Corps of Engineers) parks and National Parks! We find these kinds of parks are usually less expensive than RV Parks per se. And we generally find the public parks to be more woodsy, spacious and natural.

Our definite list is: Water and Electric and a dump station (or sewerage hook ups a plus!). And we need pet friendly as we travel with Dover our cat!

I've done some research:

In Andersonville GA there is a campground right next to the Historical Site. Anyone been there?

and near Chattanooga TN seems to be the stickler!

In Corbin KY I found Daniel Boon Nat'l Forest: "Grove"? Anyone been? How is it?

Pigeon Forge I was thinking Walden's (I realize in Pigeon Forge sites will be close and they are all RV parks. So be it...unless someone has another suggestion!)

Greenville SC I found Paris Mountain SP SC. Anyone been here?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. We like to make reservations and with Fall Foliage season approaching reservations are probably a good idea!  So the sooner the better on those great ideas! And YES I've done searches here and there. Thanks for your responses! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#2 Paul and Michelle

Paul and Michelle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

KokomoJoe,

Sounds like a nice trip.  SC has very nice state parks including Paris Mountain SP.  Another choice about 30 miles from Greenville, SC is Table Rock State Park off the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway (SC 11).  Beautiful views, great hiking, quiet and inexpensive with water, electricity and dump station.  Safe travels to you!

Paul 

#3 RADAR1

RADAR1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Scamp 16 SD
  • Interests:Scamping, kayaking, biking, hiking, picture taking.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Sounds fun!

We stayed at Paris Mountain SP last year. Nice park, and if you have bikes you're not far from a bike trail that takes you all the way downtown. They rebuilt the downtown, so it now has a river walk that's scenic, and the downtown area is nice too. Or you could jump in the car and check out some scenery, hiking, and waterfalls NW of the park.

In the Chattanooga area, we like staying at Cloudland Canyon state park. Beautiful views of the canyon and close to Chattanooga and Lookout Mountain civil war sites.  Second choice for us would be Chester Frost county park just NE of Chattanooga.

We're headed to TN, MD, PA, RI, ME, NH, NY and Ontario Canada but will be back just in time for the NC rally.

John/Dave and Marilyn

2004 Dodge Dakota V8
2017 Dodge Durango V6
2005 Scamp 16 SD

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com

#4 Pearl2

Pearl2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17"

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

In Chattanooga,  if you want to stay on course and not too far off the beaten path.....Harrison bay State park.  We have not camped there for several years but it was very nice and pet friendly.   If you are sight seeing and going to stay around for a few days,  Cloudland Canyon state Park is beautiful.

The Camping World in chattanooga has a pretty decent campground also and is very easy to get to and it is centrally located.

Happy trails to you!  

#5 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

http://rvparkreviews.com/

I usually consult this website when searching for camping sites.  The information is only as good as the folks who wrote the reviews but I have always found it helpful.

#6 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

Depending on the time of year you can stay at Camp Jordan right off I75 at exit 1.  They have water and electric and there was a dump station.  It is a county park and the camping is in an open area usually associated with events at the park.  On the plus side it is FREE but check ahead because it is not open year around.

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com