• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kris327

kris327
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Travel, photography, reading, writing, romantic comedies, animals, local eateries, comedy, learning.
  • Trailer Name:Casita Retreata

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

My name is Kristin and my husband is Mike. We live in a suburb right outside of Vegas. We have a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and two cats. :)

We are currently in the research phase of deciding whether to buy a Casita travel trailer. I like the look and functionality of the 17 ft Spirit Deluxe. We intend to tow it with a Honda Ridgeline. The company referred us to a nice man in Vegas who has a Casita (Ron); he showed us their 17 ft SD yesterday and it was indeed a very nice set-up. We were happy Mike seemed to fit in it ok and move around with ease (he is just under 6'2"). I am really liking the Casita a lot and hope we can get one. RVConsumer.org gave this trailer excellent reviews, which is how I became interested in it--as well as reading positive things about the Casita in forums. Neither one of us has ever owned a motorhome or travel trailer so this will certainly be a new adventure for us! We love to travel and explore together.

Well that's a little bit about us. We're looking forward to meeting new friends out on the road. Thanks for a great website with lots of helpful information to sort through.

Sincerely,

Kristin

Sincerely,

Kristin and Mike H. :D

http://highwaytohoeftland.com/

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”  -Miriam Beard

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Welcome to the forum.  You can find everything you ever wanted to know about these great little trailers.  I'm 6'2" tall and have no problems getting around.  The bathroom is a little tight but manageable. After tent camping, just having a bathroom is fantastic. It's perfect for two people and easy to tow.

• kris327 likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

You won't regret buying a Casita. Best $$ I ever spent on an RV!

• kris327 likes this
Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#4 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:51 AM

Welcome Kristin and Mike,

I did a lot of research too and am really happy with my decision.  I was very lucky and found a used Patriot close to home that had had really good care.  The Casita and really all the FG folks we've met have been wonderful both in the forums and in person.  I've called or emailed Casita a couple of times for info and help and they could not have been more accommodating.  Best of luck in your search and travels.  See 'ya on the road.

Shirley 

• kris327 likes this

#5 kris327

kris327
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, reading, writing, romantic comedies, animals, local eateries, comedy, learning.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for your replies and feedback. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sincerely,

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”  -Miriam Beard

#6 reb54

reb54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi Kristen. I own a 1994 16 Casita and I have some thoughts for you. I did a LOT of research before we bought our used one. We looked at both the 13 foot and 17 foot trailers. We were not able to afford a 17 footer. They go swiftly and fetch top dollar here in Central California when they come up for sale, In fact we only saw one come up for sale locally and it was gone the first day.

If your husband is 6'2" then the 17 footer is your best choice. It has 4 inches more head room than the 13 and 16 footers.

The 17 footer has the larger refrigerator also ( a great feature) .

The axle on the 17 footer sits back further than the smaller trailers which allows room for that bigger fridge. It also increases the tongue weight by another 100 pounds, to about 299 pounds.

The tongue weight on mine is 199 pounds.

I believe the 17 footer weighs about 400 pounds more than our 16 footer, something to consider in when you are towing.

The bathrooms are the same in the 16 and 17 foot trailers, but the 17 footer has the BIGGER BED!

I love our Casita but I would recommend the 17 footer for you, with the couch that converts to a table.

Ours came with the captains chairs and I removed them and rebuild it into the couch/sofa/table combo which is WAY better.

If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Good luck, REB 54

• kris327 likes this

#7 kris327

kris327
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hi Reb,

Thanks for your good advice! We are going to place an order today for the 17 FT Casita Spirit Deluxe. Yay!

Sincerely,

#8 Tom & Cathy

Tom & Cathy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

Kristin

We are going to the North Rim and then on to LV to see our daughter, should be there 9/26 thru 9/30.  She lives in the southwest corner of the city if you would like to get together and see our's and talk a little?

We had a Scamp 13. The bed is not wide enough for two and the fridge was finicky to say the least.  Our 2007 Casita 17 Liberty is great.  We did change the foam out for a better nights sleep ( $150 ) and did a little work to help the fridge work better ( $25 ). :dncinban:

Tom & Cathy

• kris327 likes this

#9 kris327

kris327
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi Tom and Cathy,

I just saw this message today; sorry for the late reply. We would be happy to get together. We are pretty flexible with our schedules. Let us know what works for you. :)

Sincerely,