Charley in Tennessee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 05:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Photography, Hiking, Reading, Scuba Diving, Sailing

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

First to Euphoria, Thanks for the update for the thermostat. I recently researched getting one since the one I have runs the furnace over the set temp by at least 5-6 degrees and then drops back some before coming on. I got to use it a couple weeks ago for the first time for real when it dropped down to 19 outside. My question is, does the digital run down the battery when it is not being used...display, etc. ? I am not sure I am ready to break into all the wiring, but had considered a digital thermostat just for the furnace.

For jimrex, I would have had to take my furnace to the local Camping World place for professional troubleshooting if it had been a gas valve or solenoid that was bad. Fortunately I found the problem and it was easy for me to fix. Good luck with your unit. The "sail switch" has to close before it will release gas, but I suspect it also releases the gas just before the spark goes off for the ignitor, so I would strongly suspect a gas valve. Do you get gas to your stove ? If not, it might be the regulator at the tanks. It helps to run the stove and makes sure there is gas in the lines over to where the furnace is before you start the furnace.

#17 jimrex

jimrex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

First to Euphoria, Thanks for the update for the thermostat. I recently researched getting one since the one I have runs the furnace over the set temp by at least 5-6 degrees and then drops back some before coming on. I got to use it a couple weeks ago for the first time for real when it dropped down to 19 outside. My question is, does the digital run down the battery when it is not being used...display, etc. ? I am not sure I am ready to break into all the wiring, but had considered a digital thermostat just for the furnace.

For jimrex, I would have had to take my furnace to the local Camping World place for professional troubleshooting if it had been a gas valve or solenoid that was bad. Fortunately I found the problem and it was easy for me to fix. Good luck with your unit. The "sail switch" has to close before it will release gas, but I suspect it also releases the gas just before the spark goes off for the ignitor, so I would strongly suspect a gas valve. Do you get gas to your stove ? If not, it might be the regulator at the tanks. It helps to run the stove and makes sure there is gas in the lines over to where the furnace is before you start the furnace.

Hey Charley,

Yes, the stove and water heater both get gas, so with the furnace being in the middle it shouldn't be the issue.  The fact that there is a lever on the gas valve makes me wonder if there is any other control in place for gas flow.  I've tried the startup procedure with the gas valve lever at 3:00 and 6:00 without any luck.

#18 Charley in Tennessee

Charley in Tennessee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

Wow, there is not a valve lever anywhere in line that I know of in my gas set up except at the tanks, and the "on" switch on the side of the furnace. Call Casita or someone with Camping World since the furnaces have changed over the years. Surburban is here in Tennessee, but I don't think they will talk to you. They never responded to an e-mail inquiry I sent them on mine. I have found that mine fires up pretty quickly when I flip the on switch and set the thermostat. Maybe only a full minute when it is working well before the gas fires up. Good luck.

#19 jimrex

jimrex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hey Charley!

You inspired me to check the wires and right away, I found a connector that grounds the electronic valve had broke. Once I jumpered it to test, it worked fine. The manual gas valve needs to be in the horizontal position to operate. Probably no hardware or car places open today, but I'll have it fixed tomorrow!

#20 Charley in Tennessee

Charley in Tennessee
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

Fantastic ! I hope this fixes your problem. Unless there is something wrong with the electronics, I think that the rest of it should be pretty robust. Good luck and let us know if it works.