#1 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Eggcetera

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

I apologize in advance if this posts twice-tried earlier but I don't think it worked!
We are picking up our 04 Casita SD on Wednesday and plan to camp on our way home to familiarize ourselves with our new baby.

We need to purchase a drinking water hose. What length is most practical? We will use an rv park this time but generally prefer NFS and state park campgrounds.

We have a regulator for city water left over from camping adventures years ago. My dad gave us a large filter to attach to the outside faucet which uses replaceable cartridges. How necessary is it to filter the water, and is there a smaller unit that works well?

Thank you in advance for hose and filter advice!

#2 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

I apologize in advance if this posts twice-tried earlier but I don't think it worked!
We are picking up our 04 Casita SD on Wednesday and plan to camp on our way home to familiarize ourselves with our new baby.

We need to purchase a drinking water hose. What length is most practical? We will use an rv park this time but generally prefer NFS and state park campgrounds.

We have a regulator for city water left over from camping adventures years ago. My dad gave us a large filter to attach to the outside faucet which uses replaceable cartridges. How necessary is it to filter the water, and is there a smaller unit that works well?

Thank you in advance for hose and filter advice!

Hose length -  20'

Filter - many here use either bottled water or a small Brita type container/filter for drinking water.  

Edited by Dex, 04 August 2014 - 08:55 AM.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#3 MarksAlot

MarksAlot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Escape 19 Trailer
  • Interests:Camping to help battle stage 4 cancer.
    (and it's working!) :)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Also, be sure to use a water pressure regulator with your water hose. Some parks water pressure is high and can damage your RV. They'e cheap, under $20 at most RV stores. An in-line water filter is a good idea also. The water quality will vary from park to park.

Congrats and enjoy!  :)

#4 pemsit

pemsit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 277 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Travel, photography, hiking.
    Planning to see all the National Parks in the lower 48, I have visited 49 so far
  • Trailer Name:On the road again

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

• I have a 25 and a 50 foot hose, one time I had to hook both up so I could have water, also get a good 12ga. electrical cord incase you power hook  up is too short, a good addition is also a 30 amp female to 15 amp male as well as a 30 amp female to 50 amp adaptor also. Water regulator is very good idea, as for filtering I have found that 95% of the parks have safe water, although it may not be tasty. A good funnel with flex spout will help you get water into the tank if you are using 5 gal container to fill. Keep in mind that very few National parks/forest have water hook ups. 

#5 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

The other good reason for the inline water filter is some campgrounds and even you own well water can have enough sand or grit in it that could shorten the life of your water pump. Camco has one that is pretty cheap and available at most of not all Walmart stores you can get one for $14+ with the short bendable hose attachement or 2 for $20

http://www.walmart.c...h-Hose/14504321

http://www.walmart.c...2-Pack/14504322

here is the water regulator

http://www.walmart.c...ulator/14504323

The question on hose length. As mentioned 25' is a good length for most campgrounds. I have had a couple that we had to go further because it was setup a bit odd for big rigs and another time the water was turned off at our sight, broken. I have (2) 10', 20' and a 50'. A combination of forgot the hose, to distance to the faucet and the main reason is we boon-dock 85% of the time and some are extended stays, so I have to haul water in. I have various sizes of fresh water tanks I can put in the bed of the truck up to 55 gallon. I do not try to get that physically close to the back of the Casita to transfer the water to the fresh water tank in the back. I use a 12 volt water pump from Harbor Freight and fill it up in less that 5 minutes. This eventually maybe a consideration for you if you plan to continue using NF campgrounds, IMHO some of the best ones have no water or electric.

Clover

Edited by clover, 04 August 2014 - 03:16 PM.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#6 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Eggcetera

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Got my shopping list made from all the wonderful suggestions and plan to get all the items tomorrow! Thank you, everyone! I think we will have an electrical and plumbing bucket of goodies to take care of most situations!

#7 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 09:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Casita supplies you with your first white fresh water fill hose and a brand new pressure regulator.  You may want to get filter to attach to the hose. It will keep particulate matter out of the water system.  Important for the water pump. This is the one I use>  http://www.amazon.co...rv hose filters

2014 17' Casita SD

#8 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

Wally Z, that's the same one we use and I was wondering if there is any way to  1. replenish the innards and or 2. recycle any of it  I hate throwing plastic into the landfill w/o at least trying to recycle it.  3. How long should one last A season?  a year?etc. 

#9 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

The first time you use a new Camco filter you should let water run through it for a few minutes, before hooking up to your water system, to flush out any loose carbon. Initially you will see some black stained water coming out.

Edited by flcoxjr, 22 October 2018 - 03:49 PM.

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,259 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

I have a 10' hose and a 25' hose.  Often I'm close enough to be able to just fit the 10' hose without having to coil the remainder.  Also, both hoses can be fit together for a 35' length.  Be sure to buy the white hose, specified for drinking water.  I also use the blue filter sold at Walmart.

Dutchman

• Zimm likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

Wally Z, that's the same one we use and I was wondering if there is any way to  1. replenish the innards and or 2. recycle any of it  I hate throwing plastic into the landfill w/o at least trying to recycle it.  3. How long should one last A season?  a year?etc.

there isn't any way to replenish the innards. i throw mine in to the recycle bin. info that comes with it states it's good for 3 months. i've found when it is at end of life, it will clog up and no water will go through. one also cracked in freezing weather one night. i always carry a spare

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#12 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

I carry 2 10' hoses & a 20'.  In many cases one 10' will do the job, and there is less hose to heat up / freeze, etc than a single 20'.  The 20' stays coiled most of the time - I attach the 2 10' hoses together when I need more than the 10',  and rarely need to add the 20' hose into the mix. 

I use a screened washer in the hose, which helps prevent sand, etc from clogging the filter, or at least slows it down.  I replace filters at around 6 months.

#13 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

Here's an article I wrote recently on water hoses, filters, and regulators.

http://thehandycampe...grey-and-black/

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#14 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

I put the filter on the faucet, then the pressure regulator, then the hose. Some will say you risk splitting the filter if you have a faucet with extremely high pressure, but you are more likely to ruin the pressure regulator with grit if you put the pressure regulator upstream of the water filter.
  • NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this