1 reply to this topic

#1 Daisy May

Daisy May
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1991 Freedom 16

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

I have a '91 Freedom 16. The original a/c is leaking water through from under the closet when

I have it on. The carpet is always soaked to a foot out from the unit.I have vacuumed the tiny drains

under trailer at a/c, and have cleaned the filters. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing

the problem...and how I can fix it? My next step is to pull it out. Thanks!

#2 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

As old as your unit is and if it's never been cleaned the tube(s) carrying the condensate from the evaporator catch tray to the condenser tray are probably clogged with scale and slime. The attached simplified diagram shows how the condensate from the evaporator travels to the tray beneath the condenser coils. Most window units have a slinger ring attached to the condenser fan blades. The ring picks up the water from the tray beneath the condenser coils and throws it onto the condenser coils to aid in cooling the hot gas from the compressor.

When the unit has been running for a while pull the cover from the front of the unit and look along the bottom of the evaporator coils. If you see standing water at the top edge of the evaporator condensate catch tray then it's  a safe bet the tubes are clogged and the water is overflowing onto the carpet behind the panel beneath the unit. The only way to clean the clog is to slide the unit out. Normally you will find a few screw along the front edge that holds the unit inside the case. Some of the cheaper units do not have the tray beneath the condenser coil and just dump the water onto the metal bottom pan that everything is attached to. The principal is the same. It's much easier to clean the unit if you take it outside of the trailer.

jwpark 

Attached Thumbnails

• window unit condensate drain.jpg