• Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None att :-(
  • Casita Club Directory #:3089

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

GE&H IV Update # 1

Hello every one. I trust all are well. This is the dreaded notice where I ask for help in executing the activities that we have all come to enjoy.

Before we start, Catoma Loop is sold out with the exception of a few “Walk In” sites. However I have sent a note on Saturday past to the Supervisory Park Ranger asking for permission to double up. I expect to hear back from him this coming week. IF approved the following rules must be adhered to or we risk losing this privilege for future events:

1. No more than two (2) Casitas per site.
  2. Each Casita will pay the requisite daily fees.
  3. All coordination for doubling up is an internal individual responsibility, inclusive of providing required splitters for H20, electricity, etc… We have a reporting requirement to the park manager so it is imperative that once you have identified your double up mate/site, you notify Jean or myself so we in turn can keep the park informed. We are all adults, please help us comply.
  4. I will keep you posted of the results of our request ASAP.

This year we are doing things a bit different. I will not plead with you for assistance on support these event. What I will do is list the event and ask that you respond positively to taking up the coordination of same. It only takes a few minutes of your day. Bottom line if no one volunteers to help, the event/activity will be cancelled and I’m fine with that. It’s your rally. Pretty simple. I apologize for being so curt on this, but I am getting tired of trying to get people, who enjoy the events, help make them a success. It’s always the same handful of subjects that ultimately come to the rescue… and I thank them dearly. It’s time share the wealth…

1. Nightly Campfire, coordinate for the delivery of firewood and execution of same. Location/Time-Date To Be Determined (TBD).

2. Musical Entertainment/Talent Show, play music, do magic, if you have a talent show us. instrument, magic tricks, juggling, mime, jokes, storytelling, sword swallowing, blowing smoke rings, puppetry, dance, hog calling, making faces, etc. Location/Time-Date TBD.

3. “The GE&H IV Epicurean Chili Amalgamation Project” aka “The Chili Dump!” George McDermit hates that name, sorry George. George has always hosted this event but I have not seen his name on any attendance list…? As such I would like to have a backup plan in case he cannot attend. This activity requires the coordination of cooking pot(s), stove(s) etc… I will be seeing George (I hope) in Cherokee, NC next month so I will ask if he is coming. IN the mean time I think it best to start developing and alternate plan. Location/Time-Date TBD.

4. Gumbo Dinner has become a staple of this event and I am going to go out on the limb here and say that the culinary experts of Bob and Pat Harko will again take this activity on… I hope… Location/Time-Date TBD.

5. Egg Parade anyone? Location/Time-Date TBD.

6. Pot Luck is looking for a few folks (~5) to help set up, tear down and clean up. Everyone knows what’s required for this event and quite frankly this is my favorite event of all!!! As was required last year we need folks to bring some folding tables to support this effort. Based on past years we will need around ten (10) folding tables to make this work. Location/Time-Date TBD

7. Gift Exchange is a subset of the Pot Luck. No guidance should be needed, but just in case, bring a St Patrick’s Day gift to exchange with fellow participants. Nothing expense, $5-$10 value max! Remember to get a gift; you have to bring a gift. Event will occur at the Catoma Loop Pavilion after the Pot Luck. Location/Time-Date TBD.

8. Arts & Crafts, Mrs. Pat Harko has taken on this event in the past and has always provided an enjoyable activity for all to share. I am assuming that she will share her creative talents with us once aging. Location/Time-Date TBD.  

9. Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Demo was a huge success and I thank the providers of same for this yummy, enjoyable and informative presentation. Walt (aka Trog) was a key driver in this along with others whose names escape me as I am an old, tired, soldier… Location/Time-Date TBD.

Folks this is your rally and it can be as good or as lame as you want it to be. We need your help. Will you help?

If you can help please email me ASAP @ huevo_movil@yahoo.com or place a post on this site indicating where you can help.

Thanks that’s all I got for now. More to follow.

Best. Shorty sends…

One alibi, if you have a reservation please advise Jean so we can keep the attendance list current and relevant. Also a big thank you to the web master for allowing us to post here. Thanks again.

Edited by Huevo Movil, 14 September 2014 - 04:13 AM.

Live well, life is very good!!!
Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular,  "Big Edna II"  :D

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
2007 Casita 17' FD - (R/V Huevo Movil - RIP - Died on I-75)
2006 Casita 17' SD - (Sold, but not forgotten!)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#32 IGMom

IGMom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe/17
  • Interests:Knitting, Beading, NASCAR, Water Aerobics
  • Trailer Name:Iggy House

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Mike and I will be attending GE&H again this year. We are arriving on Sunday, March 8 and leaving Sunday, March 15. We are on Site A 30. We will be glad to double up with another unit. We are willing to help with an event as needed. We also have a 4' table that can be used at the Potluck. Looking forward to this rally. See you soon.

Mike & Pam Wickham

2013 Casita SD

1999 Ford 350 Van

2004 Chevy Kodiak 4500 (If we have a heavy load) :rofl2:

:dncinban:  :danc:

• SKYTALKER likes this
Mike & Pam
Catera, Pippi, Emma, & Kodi
2013 Casita SD 17' (The Iggy House)
TV: 1999 Ford 350 Van/2012 Toyota Sienna Van

#33 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Mike and I will be attending GE&H again this year. We are arriving on Sunday, March 8 and leaving Sunday, March 15. We are on Site A 30. We will be glad to double up with another unit. We are willing to help with an event as needed. We also have a 4' table that can be used at the Potluck. Looking forward to this rally. See you soon.

Mike & Pam Wickham

2013 Casita SD

1999 Ford 350 Van

2004 Chevy Kodiak 4500 (If we have a heavy load) :rofl2:

:dncinban:  :danc:

Thank you, more to follow. Stand by. Best. Shorty sends...

Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#34 IGMom

IGMom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe/17
  • Interests:Knitting, Beading, NASCAR, Water Aerobics
  • Trailer Name:Iggy House

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Correction on our dates. We will arrive on SATURDAY, March 7 and leave on Sunday, March 15 on Site 30.

Pam

Mike & Pam
Catera, Pippi, Emma, & Kodi
2013 Casita SD 17' (The Iggy House)
TV: 1999 Ford 350 Van/2012 Toyota Sienna Van

#35 pemsit

pemsit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 277 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Travel, photography, hiking.
    Planning to see all the National Parks in the lower 48, I have visited 49 so far
  • Trailer Name:On the road again

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

After talking to the better half If approval is given for doubling up out our site is 88 feet long and 14 wide we will share a site on spot 15.

Edited by pemsit, 15 September 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#36 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks, Lou. We'll see what repines Shorty gets from the Park Manager. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#37 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

UPDATE # 2 - Doubling Up at GE&H V

Hello everyone, I trust this message finds all well. I received notice from the Supervisory Park Manager at Gunter Hill that we are authorized to double up during the GE&H V event on Catoma Loop! :danc:  :dncinban:  :danc:

However, apparently last year there were some real or perceived issues and I as host have been tasked with some actions to try and mitigate same. :huh:  I trust that I will have everyone's support in executing same.

As you can read in the Parks message below they want a listing of who is doubling up with whom and at what site. In order to comply I have to have the finalized list to the park no later than (NLT) close of business (COB) on Monday, 23 February 2015. As such I need to know from you via email what site you are in and who you are doubling up with. This seems like a pretty simple request and one that all can accomplish... I need this info NLT Friday, 20 February 2015. I will compile it and send to the park by the deadline. If by chance you need further explanation please contact me via email, PM or phone.

Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Request for assistance - Exception to policy request (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

Mr. Fernandez (Shorty),

We are looking forward to your group visiting our campground again this year.  I hope it continues to be a successful event.  I would like to get a list of those that will be doubling on a site prior to the event.  I think we may have had some confusion last year due to the 2nd camper would arrive before the reservation or vice versa.  It would head off any confusion if could get this list.  Please keep me posted as the event draws closer.

Thanks,

Frank McIntosh

Supervisory Park Ranger

Alabama River Lakes Site Office

Remember that finding and coordinating for a double up partner is YOUR responsibility. Respectfully I suggest that you go to either web site and post a request that you are looking for a double up site partner and I'm sure someone will respond. Upon consummation of this action please let me know via email at huevo_movil@yahoo.com of your plans. PLEASE help me complete this requirement so that we do not lose the privilege of doubling up. Remember it is not a right, but a gracious action by the park manager. 

On a separate issue we have had a lot of folks step up to volunteer to support the events. I will be posting a separate missive addressing same. There are still open actions and we still need portable tables for the pot luck. We need about ten tables and I think we have two so far... I just wanted to get this out so that interested parties can start their quest. Happy trails and I'll talk you all soon.

Best. Shorty sends...

Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

- Ronald Reagan

#38 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

Attached are five (5) participants with confirmed sites that have expressed a willingness to share their site on Catoma Loop; Pemsit, igmom, muttmaster, thetravelkids, huevo_movil . The next move is on you. :unsure: 

Best. Shorty sends... ;) 

Edited by Huevo Movil, 23 September 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

- Ronald Reagan

#39 pemsit

pemsit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 277 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Travel, photography, hiking.
    Planning to see all the National Parks in the lower 48, I have visited 49 so far
  • Trailer Name:On the road again

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hey Shorty, when and how much will you be needing for the trip to Tahiti, uh I mean to help cover the cost of the gathering?  LOL 

#40 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Apparently Gunter Hill, or Corp of Engineers, is experiencing computer problems. The computer shows I have no reservation, and have never had one. Pretty sure we were there last year. And I have printed reservations for GE&H 2015 .

Anybody got any insight concerning this?

Thanks,
Kip
In God we Trust!

#41 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hey Shorty, when and how much will you be needing for the trip to Tahiti, uh I mean to help cover the cost of the gathering?  LOL

Message to follow with rig fee.

Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

- Ronald Reagan

#42 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

OK folks here are some updates to questions that some of you have been asking.

Rig Fee: The fee will remain the same at a $5.00 minimum per rig fee to help offset the costs of setting the event up. This year we will have a two tier system for payment. If payment is received between now and Friday, 20 February 2015 the cost is $5.00. Any payments received after Friday, 20  February 2015 will be $10.00. This is necessitated to prevent coordinators and volunteers from having to fund purchases out of there own funds.

Funds can be sent at any time to:

Carlos M. Fernandez
PO Box 391
Madison, AL 35758

Please write your site number on the check and send us your email addy! You will receive a confirmation of payment email.

Activities Update

Nightly Campfire, potentially filled by John (aka roader ). We will collaborate during the Cherokee rally and advise on outcome.

Musical Entertainment/Talent Show, Steve (wilco) has stepped up to coordinate.

“The GE&H IV Epicurean Chili Amalgamation Project” aka “The Chili Dump!”  I don't know if George is coming since I do not see his name on the participants listing. In an effort to have a back up plan, Todd (aka Todd987) and another gentleman who's name I cant recall have volunteered to step in. Will the mystery man please refresh my memory? I plan on seeing George at Cherokee in a few weeks and we can finalize the issue then.

Gumbo Dinner, The King of Gumbo Bob Harko has steppted up for a repeat performance.

Egg Parade anyone? Still open. Location/Time-Date TBD.

Pot Luck... Sill open. We are looking for a few folks (~5) to help set up, tear down and clean up. Everyone knows what’s required for this event and quite frankly this is my favorite event of all!!! As was required last year we need folks to bring some folding tables to support this effort. Based on past years we will need around ten (10) folding tables to make this work. So far we only have two tables; thanks Trog and igmom. If you can bring a table please let me know. Still need 8 tables...

Gift Exchange is a subset of the Pot Luck. No guidance should be needed, but just in case,bring a St Patrick’s Day gift to exchange with fellow participants. Nothing expense, $5-$10value max! Remember to get a gift; you have to bring a gift. Event will occur at the Catoma Loop Pavilion after the Pot Luck.

Arts & Crafts, Mrs. Pat Harko (aka thetreavelkids) has volunteered to take on!  More info will be coming out as the time nears.

Dutch Oven Camp Cooking, Walt (aka Trog) has stepped up to lead this effort.

Things I have to do, contact Larry Gamble and ask if he would be willing to provide one  of his informative classes sometime during the event. Larry what say yee? No pressure here... :-)

Well that's about all I got for now. If I have missed something let me know. Remember, if you come with an idea, come with a potential solution as well. Think about maybe going into town for a group breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. Also there has been zero interest in commemorative T-Shirts so far. We need at least 15 folks to make it cost effective. Please let me know if you are interested. You'alls call. I'll do want you want.

Best, Shorty sends...
  • SKYTALKER likes this

Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

- Ronald Reagan

#43 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Kip, they record stuff based on your email address so if you made the reservatioinm on your phone and someone wrote it down wrong it won't be in your records. This happened earlier this month to me, never got t he confirmation for my 10 day stayers and called them. Nice man found it and corrected the email address so I got th e con fir action, which I never had gotten, and it shows up when I check my reservations now.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#44 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hey Jean,

Thanks for your reply.

Reservation were made on line.  Got Payment Ponformation within a few minutes and printed it.  

I looked at my account to see how many places I had been in the Federal Park system. .

"Current Reservations" showed 0-0. Which was expected as transactions were likely still being processed.

Just below that was a listing of past reservations, including 3 years of GE&H and others. A while later I received reservation confirmation and printed it. I then checked again and everything was there, current and past.

On 9/22 there were no reservations showing at all. No currant & no past. Everything was 0-0.
Yesterday I talked with the Gate at Gunter Hill. They looked  up my conformation number and all seems in order. They also said the computer system had been acting up for a couple of weeks, and they had been getting many calls, regarding this. 

Meanwhile "Robert" replied to my above post with an E-Mail.  I asked that he check his reservations.  Apparently he did and had the same "0-0" result, because he then contacted the main reservation office (Rec.gov) and found that his reservations were intact, and Rec.gov were not aware of any glitches.

Hopefully they are aware now. Although my account still shows all 0-0.

Thanks,
Kip

In God we Trust!

#45 Gourdamental

Gourdamental
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Avid crafter...especially gourds
    Retired 9-1-1 Calltaker

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thank you Shorty for the information about the electricity. I don't imagine we will be needing are air conditioners in March in Alabama but you never know with this wonky weather we have had the past few years. I have the adpter plug to 20 amp so that outta work.

Jean and Kip thank you for giving me some insight about the ReserveAmerica website. I didn't know I could look at all my reservations past and future. All is well with my reservations.

Gourdamentally yours,

Shelly 

2014 Calista 17' Liberty "Podette", towed by 06 Toyota Sienna