#1 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Eggcetera

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

We are picking up our new to us 04 SD next weekend and would love advice on whether a sway bar is needed. If so, any recommendations as well as instructions and/or pictures on how to attach it would be appreciated!

#2 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

I do not know the answer to that question but I know that the first question you will be asked is"what are you towing with"

Be ready for that..

Jim

Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#3 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Honda Pilot EX 2007. Thanks, I should have included that!

#4 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

I'm sure that someone can, but I can't speak to your particular vehicle as I tow with something quite a bit heavier. I ordered my '03 SD with the sway bar and used it whenever I pulled the trailer. Then, several years ago, I lost the bar. (How do you "lose" a sway bar? Talent!) At any rate, I never noticed a bit of difference between with and without. I did not replace the lost bar and don't feel that I need it. Just my 2¢.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#5 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

I do have the sway bar for my 16'FD towing with a 6 cylinder RAV.  Going across wide open areas with heavy cross winds the trailer is rock steady.  Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska, etc all can have very sudden gusts from all directions.  I am not a very fast driver, though.  My usual towing speed is roughly 53 mph.

Susan

Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#6 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,703 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Anti Sway bars are great and should be used all the time in our opinion.  It is cheap insurance.

I don't think a particular brand is better over another. 

Casita installed ours, I don't know if they still offer that service.

If you are picking up at Casita they will show you how to attach.  You can probably find a video on You Tube if you want to look.

Congratulations on your new Casita!

Sue and Sandy

post-176-0-54687300-1405271931_thumb.jpg

2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4

#7 rplante

rplante
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit Deluxe/17'

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I know many are anti-sway bar enthusiasts but I opted to tow without one first and add it latter if necessary.   At this point, I see no reason to add one as my set-up has been rock solid in some pretty extreme conditions.   Keep in mind, anti-sway bars have their issues as well.   The manufacturer even recommends disconnecting the bar on wet or slippery roads - heck this is precisely when I would want the darn thing.

Tow without first and use your best judgement.  You may decide it's necessary or you may not.

#8 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

We are picking up our new to us 04 SD next weekend and would love advice on whether a sway bar is needed. If so, any recommendations as well as instructions and/or pictures on how to attach it would be appreciated!

You won't need it until you need it, and then it'll be too late. Just driving down the highway doesn't require one, but in a possible emergency situation, you'll be glad it's there.

All installation instructions and measurement requirements will be included with most any new friction style sway control. For example, see THIS

Edited by Us burros, 26 July 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• SKYTALKER, NASA42 B and Go Faster like this

#9 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

I don't care what size tow vehicle I drive, I use a sway bar on all of them.Once that trailer starts swaying from maybe a dog that ran in the road etc It's almost impossible to stop swaying.... I did a test towing a 16'casita with a full size four door 4x4 dodge Ram at 60 mph and did a quick maneuver with and without the sway bar..... The sway bar was a noticeable improvement. The reason to loosen a sway bar in rain/snow is the bar tries to keep the tow vehicle and the trailer in a straight line thru friction, well on a wet road going around a curve may want to keep the tow vehicle going straight.... backing up is so you don't get into a Jack position and bend the bar.

If you don't have one on a larger tow vehicle just be careful not to get into a quick maneuver that can start it to sway...... Little tow vehicles really need them more.

Just yesterday i seen a Ford F-250 towing a very small trailer. He had to change lanes real quickly and once the sway started the truck and trailer rolled and totaled both. I stopped to help and no sway bar on the trailer

• Sue and Sandy and Tampa Rick like this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#10 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Since you are buying the trailer used have you talked with the seller about the hitch at all? Often when selling a trailer the hitch is included and with that would be the sway bar, if not a full WDH set up. My Casita came with all that and I have used the sway bar and WDH from day one, wouldn't be wit out either. As someone said, if you don't have it when you need it it is too late afterwards. Talk with the seller to find out what if anything to do with the hitch is included. I never loosen or remove my sway bar, for any sort of driving conditions or backing up and have never had a problem.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#11 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi,

We tow with 2 sway bars. You may wonder why it is because our 2007 16' FD Casita is almost the same weight as our

1995 Volvo Tubo Sedan. We had some trouble in Austin one year when a pick-up pulling a long lowboy trailer cut us off

and if we have had only 1 sway bar we would have rolled the car and trailer but we didn't and we all ways run 2 now.

Dann and Karan

2007 16'FD, Snowball

1995 Volvo Tubo Sedan.

• ArizonaEileen likes this

#12 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input! We have decided to go with a sway bar, they are not expensive insurance and peace of mind is priceless! Just hoping the parts for that, the tranny cooler, brakes, etc. arrive soon so we can install and get to camping! We truly appreciate all the advice and tips.

#13 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 02:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

You will find that the majority of Casita owners use an anti-sway bar.

I can tell the difference between when I have it on and when I don't, and I don't travel without it.

Eileen

• ssatkinson likes this
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#14 schudge

schudge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit 16ft

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I have a 16' spirit. Loaded consumables it weights in at about 2200,pnds.
Several years ago crossing the contenatial devide I hit a wind shear that swung my Casitas sideways. When you see the side of your trailer in the mirrow it's shakes you. No sway bars.
I bought a Fast way equilizer and sway hitch, out of ProVo Utah. $290 on sale at Etrailer and assembled it myself. I Strongly Strongly recommend a sway protection hitch.
Its there when you need it. Incidently I have the 3" riser on my trailer, works fine.
Schudge "Norm Miller, Albuquerque NM"

#15 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:59 AM

Wow interesting reading on the different views. We have an 04 Spirit model and we tow with a 2012 6 cylinder 4wd Nissan Pathfinder and have to admit in the first 18 months and roughly 8-10 times I towed it can hardly tell that Matilda is behind us. I am about to have mod done where I am replacing the two tanks to one 30lb side mounted, having rack above that for either generator or storage when generator not needed and then also having trailer hitch above that to put a 2 person bike rack in. I know this will be adding weight to tongue and hopefully we are evening that out already since we carry so many things either under the bed or on top of it until we get there. I can say this after reading this I am going to really think about the sway bar, better to be safe than sorry and this would be a big sorry if it went bad.

Safe travels and Thanks for all the great info we get from the Casita family.

Steve and Patty