Rug For Aisle

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 01:10 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

Sounds reasonable, Matt. Maybe that's the answer.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#17 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

I just did the (nearly) full carpet over the vinyl.  Recently had wall to wall installed in a bedroom and the remnant was perfect.  I also did the paper pattern (it was left over from when I used it to install the new vinyl floor).  I'll be using watered down Elmer's glue (white) to paint the edges of the carpet at the base of the fibers to keep them from fraying since it isn't bound, just cut with the utility knife.

I will try that Elmers Glue trick.... I have a Hot Knife and always cut carpet with it from the bottom side, but you could also take an old butter knife and heat it red hot on the stove and sear the edge after you cut it the conventional way from the underside (Razor knife etc)

Edited by Joe Z, 28 June 2015 - 08:36 AM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#18 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

Joe......

If you have a hot-melt glue gun & glue sticks you have another option at hand.    For years, I have used mine to bind the edge fibers on carpet projects such as yours.  It has the advantage of  being waterproof.

Frank :rolleyes:

• sandyb12 likes this

#19 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

That a very good recommendation and i will have to try that

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#20 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

Never could figure why they charged extra for vinyl.

I heard on this or another forum that Casita uses the carpet to hide imperfections and unevenness in the floor but vinyl does not hide these issues. So they are actually charging $300 to make the floor even enough to lay vinyl. At least, that's what I heard!

Yup, takes a lot of work to level a flooring for vinyl, otherwise every little bump/seam shows in the vinyl.

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#21 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

I got  a far fetched idea,.....With all the extra man hours to level that floor and lay down vinyl.... why not just offer a Laminate flooring and go right over the floor without the extra work.... heck that stuff is cheap enough and charging the same price as vinyl with less man hours they would probably profit better.  And then put your runner of choice down

Just a thought! 

Edited by Joe Z, 30 June 2015 - 10:37 PM.

• sandyb12 likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#22 chippertpa

chippertpa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 04:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:National Parks, Photography, Bicycling, Kayaking

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

We just got our new 17' Spirit Deluxe in August.  We'd considered runners, but decided instead to buy a remnant, and made a pattern of the floor using a product called Tyvek.  I taped it down in areas as I made the pattern to ensure it would be accurate, and left it about 1/8" clear of all the edges.  I traced the hole for the table support post and had a cut made from the post to the outside wall.  I then took this pattern and the carpet to a local carpet shop who does edge binding.  This wasn't the cheapest way to do things, but the carpet fits perfectly, is very nice on the feet and we are extremely happy we did this. As we had material left over, we had a piece that ran from the storage area at the dinette past the bathroom door all the way to the entrance door.  We wanted this for helping to protect the main carpet area, to stand on after a shower, catch water from wet feet etc.  We also have carpet on our entrance steps.  We've found the carpet stays clean and dry this way.  We can take this carpet up any time we want for cleaning/storage.  I'm attaching some photos of the finished installation.

John

Safety Harbor, FL.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2259.JPG
  • IMG_2260.JPG
  • IMG_2261 small.jpg

John Douglass

2014 Ford Explorer

#23 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

Very cool carpet there John, I'm stuck with Casitas factory carpet until I figure out what to do with it. Even then I have runners so I can easily clean the floor.

How would I clean the carpet anyways? Don't think steaming it would be smart.
  • Joe Z likes this

#24 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

How would I clean the carpet anyways? Don't think steaming it would be smart.

The Little Green Machine is my Favorite.... If something happened to it i would get another.

http://www.amazon.co... carpet cleaner

• C.FiberglassFreedom likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#25 chippertpa

chippertpa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:National Parks, Photography, Bicycling, Kayaking

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

We've camped a few times with the carpet we installed, it has stayed very clean with an entrance mat out front and carpet on the double step we had installed.  We can remove this carpet from the trailer easily for cleaning if we need to.  We like the carpet, nice on the feet, keeps the floor warmer than if we had the vinyl. 

I agree with Joe Z that if something happens to the factory carpet, I'd get another.

John Douglass

2014 Ford Explorer

#26 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

We've camped a few times with the carpet we installed, it has stayed very clean with an entrance mat out front and carpet on the double step we had installed.  We can remove this carpet from the trailer easily for cleaning if we need to.  We like the carpet, nice on the feet, keeps the floor warmer than if we had the vinyl. 

I agree with Joe Z that if something happens to the factory carpet, I'd get another.

We do like carpet under our feet.... like you say it keeps the feet warm 

But getting another, I was referencing the "Hoover Green Machine" in that link below it.:)

• MarthaP likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#27 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

In my old Shorthair's last months I put one of those folding exercise mats in OTRA for her. It's heavy-duty vinyl covered and I put a carpet over it. It was nice to walk on and did provide some insulation on the floor. I left it in for a while but have finally taken it out since it is heavy and isn't needed anymore. Some might like it, though, and it takes up most of the length of the aisle.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'