• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri

Cheri
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:BF and I love to eat, go places, do things.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

We are ordering a new camper and I wanted to get a rug for the aisle.  Can anyone tell me the width and length of the aisle in the 17' SD?  Also, any suggestions for a rug?  Thanks!

#2 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Our 2007 17' SD has an L shaped aisle that is 74" from the bathroom wall to the end of the kitchen assembly (longer if you want it to go under the dinette but you have the table support poles to contend with) and 24 inches wide.

The short part of the L is 22" from the doorway to the edge of the point of the other rug and 19 1/2 inches wide at the narrow point.

We buy two runners, One about 42" long and the other about 55" long, both are about 19 to 20 inches wide.  We use the shorter one inside the door and the other in front of the kitchen/side dinette area. Both are rubber backed to prevent slipping.

Hope this helps.

• sandyb12 likes this
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#3 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

So far I have found all the rugs I need for OTRA in the cheap carpet section of Walmart.

• Leehman Wexlin likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#4 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Cheri,   we used rugs on our vinyl for a while, but with colder temps we decided full carpet would be better insulation and comfort,....I made a complete paper pattern of the Spirit floor, bought a sufficient piece off the Lowe's carpet rolls and it was an easy mod,......much warmer than the vinyl in winter, looks like installed carpet, but can easily be removed whenever desired,.......best of both worlds, vinyl when you want it, carpet when you want it,.......

• sandyb12 likes this

#5 WestieMom

WestieMom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM
  • Interests:Westies: EarthDog, Obedience, Rally-O, Tracking, Agility Earthdog & BarnHunt Judge AutoHarp: Newbie Orienteering: Map & Compass Sport (Hiatus while concentrating on Dog Sports), Rug Hooking Newbie

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

I just did the (nearly) full carpet over the vinyl.  Recently had wall to wall installed in a bedroom and the remnant was perfect.  I also did the paper pattern (it was left over from when I used it to install the new vinyl floor).  I'll be using watered down Elmer's glue (white) to paint the edges of the carpet at the base of the fibers to keep them from fraying since it isn't bound, just cut with the utility knife.

• Eileen, Joe Z, Leehman Wexlin and 1 other like this
WestieMom in MA
Re-homed 2005 FD 17' Salty Dog
2001 Dodge Conversion Van - seriously crappy engine
2003 Ford E150 Van - Seriously Scrappy Engine

#6 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

watered down Elmer's glue (white) to paint the edges of the carpet at the base of the fibers to keep them from fraying since it isn't bound

great idea!! thanks

p@

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#7 Eileen

Eileen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Cheri,   we used rugs on our vinyl for a while, but with colder temps we decided full carpet would be better insulation and comfort,....I made a complete paper pattern of the Spirit floor, bought a sufficient piece off the Lowe's carpet rolls and it was an easy mod,......much warmer than the vinyl in winter, looks like installed carpet, but can easily be removed whenever desired,.......best of both worlds, vinyl when you want it, carpet when you want it,.......

How do you make a pattern? 

Eileen
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."

#8 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Eileen,

you can use any thing available(newspaper,  paper grocery bags, ect., but the smaller the pieces, the more taping is necessary).      I bought a roll of the brown contractors paper,( comes from WalMart, Lowes, ect., around $8.).      It was a good fit down the aisle of the Casita, but its not a perfect fit, some areas you will need to tape extra paper pieces to cover the floor and some places you will need to cut away to get a perfect image for the floor area.     The size roll I used was just slightly smaller than the aisle width, to me it was easier to work with adding width in the areas needed than starting with a roll that was too wide and having to cut away paper the whole length of the aisle.   Every piece added has to be taped to the main runner of paper so that when you're finished you have a one piece paper pattern.    Also, do a good job of taping so that the pieces stay together when handling it or they will come apart and you've lost the accuracy of your pattern.

one thing to remember when transferring the pattern to the carpet you're going to cut, remember to turn carpet and pattern UPSIDE DOWN.     its easier to transfer the pattern to the back side of the carpet, so in an open area like driveway or garage floor, lay the carpet face down, then the pattern on top of that, also face down(UPSIDE DOWN).      next you need to outline the pattern onto the carpet, the best way to do that is with a can of cheap spray paint(dark color leaves a better image).      spray around the border of the whole pattern and when the pattern is removed you'll have a perfect image with good sharp lines on the bottom side of your carpet.     cut and install, hope this helps  

Edited by fella10, 21 July 2014 - 07:54 PM.

• June #1163, sandyb12 and NASA42 B like this

#9 Eileen

Eileen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Eileen,

you can use any thing available(newspaper,  paper grocery bags, ect., but the smaller the pieces, the more taping is necessary).      I bought a roll of the brown contractors paper,( comes from WalMart, Lowes, ect., around $8.).      It was a good fit down the aisle of the Casita, but its not a perfect fit, some areas you will need to tape extra paper pieces to cover the floor and some places you will need to cut away to get a perfect image for the floor area.     The size roll I used was just slightly smaller than the aisle width, to me it was easier to work with adding width in the areas needed than starting with a roll that was too wide and having to cut away paper the whole length of the aisle.   Every piece added has to be taped to the main runner of paper so that when you're finished you have a one piece paper pattern.    Also, do a good job of taping so that the pieces stay together when handling it or they will come apart and you've lost the accuracy of your pattern.

one thing to remember when transferring the pattern to the carpet you're going to cut, remember to turn carpet and pattern UPSIDE DOWN.     its easier to transfer the pattern to the back side of the carpet, so in an open area like driveway or garage floor, lay the carpet face down, then the pattern on top of that, also face down(UPSIDE DOWN).      next you need to outline the pattern onto the carpet, the best way to do that is with a can of cheap spray paint(dark color leaves a better image).      spray around the border of the whole pattern and when the pattern is removed you'll have a perfect image with good sharp lines on the bottom side of your carpet.     cut and install, hope this helps  

Thank you so much. It was perfectly clear.  Thank you for taking the time.

• sandyb12 and NASA42 B like this
Eileen
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."

#10 Stephany

Stephany
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' spirit delux

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

ON THE OTHER HAND, our factory installed carpet collects all dirt and leaves...a constant mess...so we finally found a couple of "stress reliever" industrial rubber pads to install on top of our carpet!  Now, I guess, we have the advantage of carpet warmth and rubber washability (easily removed and replaced).  Much better.

• Joe Z, sandyb12 and SoloMatt like this

#11 Latestarter

Latestarter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Kayak fishing, MLB baseball, writing, cinema.

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

We're ordering our Casita this week and looked at one locally as recommended by Johnathan. The 17 Spirit Deluxe we looked at was ordered with carpet for a few reasons that made perfect sense, and we'll do the same.

- The factory installed carpet is standard with the vinyl being a $296 option.

- The owner of the Casita we looked at bought a couple of plastic rug protectors at Costco like the ones you put under an office chair. These have grips on the bottom so they don't slide and he cut them out to match the floor, including under the table with a circular hole for the table support.

- He has indoor/outdoor carper runners with a rubber back on top of the plastic rug protectors at strategic locations so the runners don't slip.

- The result is more insulation and a carpet that never gets dirty. You don't even notice the clear plastic rug protectors and can see the carpet underneath. This adds value for resale.

#12 John Craver

John Craver
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 16' SD

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

We use this in our 16' and like it... http://www.amazon.co...ding=UTF8&psc=1 should work for your 17' just fine.  Home Depot had some lightweight carpet like door mats 3 for less than $5 that are a perfect fit for the entryway.  They come in assorted colors, but one of the packages contain 2 beige ones that go well with the interior.  

Edited by John Craver, 24 June 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#13 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:07 AM

As someone with carpet, I wish I had vinyl. I have found that protectors make their own scuff marks and imprints and stuff still gets under them anyways, and just collects under the protector. I have a mat at the door and by the bathroom... both of which collect all sorts of debris underneath them. Wearing shoes in the trailer is not an option.

I work very hard to keep it nice but it's only a year old and I fear my efforts will eventually be futile, at which point I will likely lay laminate over it.... and then put area rugs over that.

Trust me... go with vinyl. Totally worth the less than 300 bucks.

Edited by SoloMatt, 24 June 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#14 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

Never could figure why they charged extra for vinyl. IMO vinyl should be standard and carpet extra. But they didn't ask me. :(

(PS... Carpet for a camping trailer is a dumb idea. But what do I know?)

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#15 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Never could figure why they charged extra for vinyl.

I heard on this or another forum that Casita uses the carpet to hide imperfections and unevenness in the floor but vinyl does not hide these issues. So they are actually charging $300 to make the floor even enough to lay vinyl. At least, that's what I heard!