8 replies to this topic

#1 Walt

Walt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 75 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Does anyone know how to install an electric tongue jack? I do not want to run wire to the back of my 2008  17" SD casita and cut hole in the casita. Is there any other way to install it? Where is the hot wire? Walt

#2 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:42 AM

When I was deciding on options to order a 2014 a Casita sales person told me all Casitas have 12 volt power routed to the tongue to power an electric tongue jack whether ordered and equipped with one or not.  I have not attempted to verify that statement.

#3 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 75 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Hi, Harvey. I just finished the installation of the electric tongue jack.( Before I read your reply). I can verify that our 2008 Casita SD does have the wire. It is the large black wire in the closet. Thanks for letting me know about what casita person said is true. Walt

#4 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Walt,

So the wire is terminated in the closet not at the front coupler?  Is the wire wrapped in a bundle but long enough to reach the tongue coupler?

• SKYTALKER likes this

#5 fredalva

fredalva
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking to buy

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

Was there ever an answer to this.  I purchased an electric jack and need to know how to connect to the battery.

• SKYTALKER likes this

#6 SKYTALKER

SKYTALKER
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 2008 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio, camping, fishing, sightseeing

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Same here. About to purchase and install electric jack and would like to know the answer also.

Maynard and Jacquie
ARS: KJ4P
2008 Spirit Deluxe 17'
2009 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner V6

Take only Pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

#7 Lazy-B

Lazy-B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Freedom
  • Interests:MY ROTTWEILER - READING - MOTORCYCLES - GUNS - RV TRAVEL

I HAVE A COLLECTION OF GUNS, MY " BEST GUN " IS THE
    ONE I AM CARRYING AT THE TIME I NEED ONE.
  • Trailer Name:"THE WANDERER"
  • Casita Club Directory #:16797

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

I just read this post, late as I am the original member needing help has undoubtedly installed his power jack by now, however,
This current information may assist others that plan on a power jack in the future.

Yesterday afternoon I installed an Atwood Power Jack on my 2003 Patriot Deluxe, I am not mechanically inclined ( and 84 years old ) yet found it easy.

Remove the three 3/8" bolts attaching original jack to the trailer, place new power jack in same hole
and attach with same three bolts " EXCEPT YOU MUST PLACE A STAR WASHER BETWEEN THE
UNDERSIDE OF JACK AND TOP OF TRAILER TONGUE " at each one of the three mounting holes, this action is needed to establish grounding.

I went to Lowes and bought 13' of the same gauge wire as that on the jack from the factory, I spliced the extra 13' to the original
Wire, went down on the INSIDE OF THE FRAME ( road side/ left side of trailer ) placed wire on top of each place a HARD COPPER LINE is attached to the trailer using plastic tie tie. Followed this procedure back to fluted air vent under battery box, stuck wire
Through vent hole going right up to the positive post on battery and made a secure connection.
The entire operation can be accomplished in sixty minutes.

Edited by Lazy-B, 19 February 2016 - 04:31 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this
" I would rather go through life with skinned knees then
being afraid to fall down. "

#8 SKYTALKER

SKYTALKER
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 2008 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio, camping, fishing, sightseeing

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

Anyone know if the black wire is terminated outside for the electric jack or inside the closet?

Maynard and Jacquie
ARS: KJ4P
2008 Spirit Deluxe 17'
2009 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner V6

Take only Pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

#9 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

The stub is "dead ended" inside the front closet under the toe board. You'll have to snake your power feed wire out through the front trailer umbilical hole to supply 12 vdc to the jack. I would also suggest installing an in-line fuse in the closet area as well, just in case you should accidentally damage the wire's insulation, since you probably wouldn't want to be "welding" up near your propane tanks. Normally, the trailer frame is often used as a return path for the power used by the jack, which is not ideal for many reasons, but is often done for expediency. The reasoning is that the trailer's frame is used as a giant ground bus. Any ground should never be used in the capacity of a current carrying conductor. Yes, it will work that way, but it isn't the best way to route your circuit back to the neutral bus.

Edited by Euphoria, 19 February 2016 - 08:37 AM.

• SKYTALKER likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electric tongue jack, installation tongue jack