oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

I am in Oregon but I will be heading to Nebraska and Iowa early next month.  My Mother would like to see the Amish villages, but I may have the name wrong.  I would like to look up the area but I don't know what I am looking for.  Could anyone tell me where I am going and are there state parks in the area?

Thanks,

Susan

Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#2 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

Susan,
I googled "Amish in Iowa' and got a good thread on location of communities. They are located in three locations in Iowa. I remember Kilonah. But you can look up the other two. Also, southern MN has communities it said. Even has a map for ease. Sandy

#3 knomad

knomad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' SD

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

Amana, Iowa just northwest of Iowa City.

#4 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

Thank you very much.  I just wasn't running into any names that sounded right.  

Susan

Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#5 Rick and Donna Smith

Rick and Donna Smith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita SD 17
  • Interests:Camping, fishing, golf, geocaching

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

I think they're referred to as the Amana Colonies.  Plan on a good dinner (German food).  We've eaten there twice.

#6 Iowan

Iowan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 68 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Consider county park, F. W. Kent Park Lake about 10 Miles East of the Colonies on Hwy. 6. Also Lake McBride State park about 30 miles north and east of the Colonies.       If you have the time another area that is interesting is Nauvoo, IL, an early settlement of the Mormans, just across the Mississippi  river South of Fort Madison, IA.   Take hwy. 96 south and cross back into IA. at Keokuk.  If you are headed back North and West drive through the Villages of Van Buren County along the Des Moines river valley.  Also consider a stop at the Dutchman's general store at Cantril, run by the Mennonites.   

Enjoy Iowa.

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Armana and Amish are two very different and distinct groups of people. http://www.kalonaiow...AmishAmana1.htm

here is a website for the Amana Heritage and villages

www.amanaheritage.org

http://amanacolonies.com/

I grew up in Ohio near one of the largest Amish Communities in the country, Burton. Another large conclave use to be in Wooster, Ohio. Many folks lump Amish, Pennsylvania Dutch and Mennonite people together, they are distinct. Ohio has the greatest population of Amish of any of the states.

I picked up a hard copy of this National Parks Brochure  Iowa "Silos & Smokestacks" on our last trip thru Iowa in 2013 

http://www.silosands...ks.org/explore/

I also picked up Iowa Byways that might be useful. If you would like either one of these in the hard copy form, drop me a personal email message and I will be happy to mail them to you. A drive down the road that parallels the Mississippi River is a worthwhile trip. 

Clover

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5914 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_5917 (Small).JPG
  • IMG_5918 (Small).JPG

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

The Amana villages or Amana Communities are located on rt 151 south out of Cedar Rapids, IA. Or exit 225 on I-80 west of Iowa City. Been visiting there this afternoon. Nice little history lesson. Clover is correct, two different things. I misinterpreted the original query as I was camping on a friend's property in Boscobel, WI on the way back from an egg rally and was surrounded by Amish farmers. I assumed she wanted an Amish community as we had visited PA Dutch country for years around Lancaster. Yes, all three are different. We stayed on a Mennonite dairy farm,ate in PA Dutch restaurants and got excited watching the Amish go about their daily routines. This time I know where I am and how I got here. AND we had a lot of fun just site seeing here. Bad weather is due tonight so the staff at the cg has alerted all to the possibility of moving inside. Sandy

Edited by teacher retired, 17 June 2014 - 03:22 PM.