#1 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Was eastbound on I-20 coming into Shreveport LA around noon today when traffic suddenly came to a halt. I saw a hitch ball mount with ball laying between the traffic lanes.  About 1/10 of a mile down the road was the wadded up wreckage of a motorcycle carrier trailer and a nice Harley (?) all in a pile.  Apparently the receiver hitch pin failed/came out allowing the ball mount to pull out of the receiver. There were no safety chains in use.  The runaway trailer in the far right lane tracked true, bouncing off cars in the next lane over, eventually being deflected toward the shoulder and right into the guardrail wall where it came to a sudden crunching halt.  Looked like about three other vehicles sustained some damage.  Interestingly, the tow vehicle was nowhere in sight, and the police had not even arrived yet.  Maybe they drove several miles before they noticed the trailer was gone?

#2 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

I guy I knew in Phoenix lost his jet ski and didn't realize it until he got home.  Found it undamaged along the road, actually, in the ditch.  Lucky no one got hurt or worse.

Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, safety, chains, wreck