8 replies to this topic

#1 CampingDogs

CampingDogs
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:31 AM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

We are new to the forum and to real camping life in general. We didn't have time before to do all these neat things due to work. The few times we ventured into the great big highway, we would just drive like crazy and stay in cheap motels, but loved it :rolleyes: ..........But since retirement is in our near future and we need more creature comforts, we have started our search for our FIRST camper (maybe 1st, we are in our 50's hope to live till 100 :D ).

We are a couple and 2 very spoiled small dogs. We are looking for a small trailer that could fit into our standard garage 9ft plus (have to measure the door). We will begin our visits to dealers in July but we narrowed our interests to the Casita, the TrailManor and the Airstream 16 Bambi (quite fancy). However we are leaning towards the Casita or the Airstream just because of the character and history these two trailers have. We will tow with a new Highlander as well. I do must mention we are not that handy, so I don't think a fixer upper is a good choice for us. So anywhere we could save some money will be great, as we need to buy the camper AND the towing vehicle, and so the great adventure begins!. We are willing to spend some money for something durable and reliable, comfortable for both of us, our babies (dogs) and the occasional visit from my mom :)

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Thank y'all in advance and for now the search seems to be kind of fun as well. Can't wait to actually go out on the road again :D

#2 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Measure your garage door height and go from there.  I am thinking the Airstream may be too tall.  A 16' Casita with the front air conditioner instead of he roof mounted one would probably work better, but the new 17 foot Casitas have a lower profile roof airconditioner that might also fit, although you will want a roof fan vent cover so even if it rains you can leave the fan on for your pups when you are away.

#3 CampingDogs

CampingDogs
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks! Didn't know you could install the a/c in the front. Yes will measure up and go from there..... The Casita looks like a good choice......

#4 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Well, you cant install the A/C in the front of a 17', but that is how the 16' are done.

#5 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 PM
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

Casitas are OK for two but if you plan on three adults I say think larger. We get crowded with the two of us and a Bichon.. We do love our Ladybug and enjoy the adventures she allows us to experience. If you are near Pensacola we will be happy to visit and show let you have a look at our SD17. Just send me a PM.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#6 Gourdamental

Gourdamental
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Avid crafter...especially gourds
    Retired 9-1-1 Calltaker

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

You might want to contact Casita and ask if there is anyone in your area that would be willing to show their unit. If you decide to buy Casita will reward the owner for their courtesy. You did not identify where you are located. There are other fiberglass trailers that are a bit larger if you are planning to travel with 3 adults, such as Big Foot and Oliver. Look at RV Trader and RVT websites to help with your search.

Gourdamentally yours,

Shelly 

2014 Calista 17' Liberty "Podette", towed by 06 Toyota Sienna

#7 CampingDogs

CampingDogs
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info, I am in Jacksonville. I just received our Casita price list, my husbands not to keen on it but I want small to store in our garage. We are in the beginning stages of our search so we have time. We are going to see some trailers in July

#8 CampingDogs

CampingDogs
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, I am in Jacksonville. I just received our Casita price list, my husbands not to keen on it but I want small to store in our garage. We are in the beginning stages of our search so we have time. We are going to see some trailers in July

#9 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Note the headroom inside a 16 ft Casita is less than the 17 foot................................

Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Casita, Scamp, Airstream, Garage, Storage, Dogs, Couple