jazzjunkysue
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot
  • Interests:Kayaking, State Parks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

Never mind! I'm all set. I just got off the phone with DMV (can you believe it!?!?!) and I don't need it. Turns out the owner had it and I'm well under the limit, anyway. 

Whew! 

I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow! yay!

Thanks for the help. It really feels good to know there are people here who care enough to bother helping someone else!

:dncinban:  :wow:  :wub:

Jazzjunkysue :P

#17 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

Help! My sellers are a little confused. Can anyone check the vin on the frame underneath the patriot propane and tell me the GVWR? I know the GVW is 1400, but is there another number for GVWR???

The state of CT needs both numbers plus dry weight. 

I want to buy tomorrow, so, I hope someone can tell me today. The owners of mine are old and 3 states away so I need a whole day to go look. 

Thanks,

Sue

sue, i looked on the casita factory web site just now. the dry weight on the patriot deluxe is 1880lbs. they did not specify the GVWR, but they would have that info if you call them at 800-442-9986. they are located in rice, texas, so there is a time difference on their hours of operation from you. i'm sure they will have any more info you need to register your new baby, regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

sue, i just read on another thread that you said the owner does not have title. i agree with the other poster who responded to you. i have no idea what is wrong with the seller of your 2005 patriot deluxe, but i would never ever ever buy a car/truck/boat/travel trailer without a title. the fact that he is not able to provide it makes me very suspicious. he certainly got one when he bought the casita. when i bought sassie cassie, i met the owner in houston with cash in hand. he had the title in hand. i did not hand over a red cent until i saw that title and he signed over title to me there in his truck in the parking lot before i concluded the deal.

please be cautious with this deal. i'm very nervous now for you. let me know how it goes, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#18 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:09 AM

Never mind! I'm all set. I just got off the phone with DMV (can you believe it!?!?!) and I don't need it. Turns out the owner had it and I'm well under the limit, anyway. 

Whew! 

I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow! yay!

Thanks for the help. It really feels good to know there are people here who care enough to bother helping someone else!

:dncinban:  :wow:  :wub:

sue, i;m still confused. is the owner going to hand over that title to you at pick up? he needs to have it with him when you meet, he needs to sign the back of it before you pay him and pull your casita away. you need that title to prove you own the casita, not even to mention how you would register it/get plates renewed etc. regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#19 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

I agree, Sue, don't do anything without a title.  If the current owner had it and lost it, HE needs to apply for and get a new one before you do the deal.  If he is elderly and needs some help, you can take him to the DMV and help 

• ArizonaEileen likes this

#20 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

I agree, Sue, don't do anything without a title.  If the current owner had it and lost it, HE needs to apply for and get a new one before you do the deal.  If he is elderly and needs some help, you can take him to the DMV and help 

not to keep beating a dead "egg", but you definitely need a title. not only for yourself, but in the future. most people will not even talk to you if you don't have a title all ready to sign over. i'm frankly stunned that anyone would advertise to sell a casita without a title.  do what codasmom says, help him if he's elderly and really has some cognitive issues but drop this like a hot potatoe otherwise. casitas come up for sale all over the country and you can even order your own the way you like it from rice, texas.you don't have to jump at this one if it's a funny deal. good luck, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#21 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

If you got a vehicle loan from your credit union, as opposed to an unsecured loan from your credit union, the Credit Union is going to want that title so that it is recorded with a lien on it so that if you do not pay, you don't get clear title.  Of course, if the loan was such a small amount that the credit union is doing a personal signature loan without security, this would not apply.  Maybe you don't require a title, but if you ever want to sell it in the future, the next owner might need it.  Something is very strange about all this.

#22 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

No Sue, the A-Z Owners guide is a CD that you can get by going to lovemycasita.com which is Arizona Eileen's site. Then click on the CD. It is about $30 and if you printed it all out you would have over 250 pages. 

Sandy --

Actually, my Guide is available on Amazon, but I don't promote it since the fees they deduct are higher than PayPal.

Sue --

Superstitions are just that. You would benefit immensely by reading the Guide now rather than later.

www.LoveMyCasita.com/Guide.html

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#23 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

Eileen
Thanks! I learn something everyday. I was concerned that she might get the wrong CD. Also, if she was dragging the Patriot home today... You are good but I figured she could wait to order it. Didn't think you could get it there in a day. But...

We have been camping in northern MN and WI for two weeks on the shores of Lake Superior. Brrr, that wind is chilly blowing over the ice on the lake. First week, never got above 53. This week has been further south so a high of 63. Like it was in Lajitas in Jan. But with no golf carts! Sandy

#24 jazzjunkysue

jazzjunkysue
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

I will get a new title from CT so that's not a problem. I've seen the applications and they only require the previous owner's info. I have all that and also his previous registration, and a notorized bill of sale, so, it's just a matter of filling out forms.

In the meantime, I'm in LOVE! It's all mine, now, and I'm getting to know it.

So, here's my purchasing/picking up story: It almost fell through, but I was saved by a great UHaul expert.

I got the phone call from the seller on saturday afternoon. I drove out to see it sunday and put a down-payment on it. I didn't have a TV yet, so I thought I could rent a uhaul pickup truck.

I didn't know there were different kinds of electric plugs so after driving across 2 states, I found I couldn't take the trailer home. I somehow didn't panic.

I went to the local UHaul office and they had an adapter, but they only had a female adapter. I needed a male, with the 6 prongs. This guy was a genious! He sent me down the road to an RV dealer who made an adapter for me ON THE SPOT! He only charged me $25 for it, and it was ready in minutes.

I took it back to the trailer, plugged it in, it worked, and I drove my trailer home! Yay!

It was almost a wasted day: 8 hours of driving and about $250 in rental and gas, but I got it.

The thing is, I really didn't want to spend double the money on a new one. Just delivering it to CT would have been $2K. And there are no others for sale around here. They are all in California or Arizona or Florida. I really didn't want to have to go that far. And I really don't see the point in spending double the money on a new one. It's just for fun and for summer, so, since I'm still working 10 months of the year, I won't get enough use out of it to justify buying it new.

So I'm on my way to having my TV inspected. I'm buying a Volvo V70 AWD SE wagon. It's even white!!! Got it for a great price right near home. 3300lb towing capacity but much better gas milage than a huge suv.

And I already chatted with UHaul to make sure they can install the receiver and ball. I love it because it's low- I can easily get my kayaks on the roof with just 4 new Thule feet. I have all the rest of the hardware already for my Civic. This is so much better than a huge tll suv: I was going to have trouble getting both boats all the way up there! I'm only 5 feet tall!

Fingers crossed! If the mechanic says it's good, I'm buying the volvo today. I'll get it tuesday and put the hitch on it over the weeked. I'll be able to do the vin verification weeks before my temp registration expires.

I found an rv mechanic nearby, too. They're also hard to find around here!

While I'm waiting, I ordered the magnetic hitch poles so I can connect it alone. I got a steel wheel lock, the hitch wheel (and I can move it on cement! I did last night!) and heavy duty plastic levelling blocks and wheel chocks. I got the strap on mirror extensions and a telescoping rake. What a great idea! I found a clear sewer extender, the treatment goo and the toilet paper.

Now I need an extra scissor jack and I'm going out for plastic bins for the cupboards. I figure I'd rather be able to toss alot into the bins and pull them out to dig around. Plus, I like the idea that they'll catch the messes and prevent spillage. Bins. Definitely.

I sew, so I'll cut a thick mattress topper and cut it to fit the bed, and with  a long zipper make a fitted sheet. I don't plan on putting the table up, ever. I really love the idea that the bedding will just be there: No fuss, no muss, not going into my volvo at all: Pillows, blankets, it's all just staying put except for laundry day. I totally LOVE that. So, on each trip, the kitchen and bed will already be packed. Wow. Same thing when I leave a site: All that packing I won't have to do!!!! Just leave it as is!!

I'm loving this!

#25 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:31 AM

Sue,
You have had time to sit in your baby and work all this out. Sounds great. But a word of caution. You say you are still working and it "is just for fun and for summer." You may find you want more fun time than you realize right now. In the previous post I indicated we were out camping. We too bought the Casita for fun times. By the end of this trip we will have been camping 445 days in 2 1/2 years! The fun factor can get away from you and being an ex teacher, the summer is never long enough. Especially when you sew and can doll that little baby up really cute! Sandy

Edited by teacher retired, 07 June 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#26 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I will get a new title from CT so that's not a problem. I've seen the applications and they only require the previous owner's info. I have all that and also his previous registration, and a notorized bill of sale, so, it's just a matter of filling out forms.

In the meantime, I'm in LOVE! It's all mine, now, and I'm getting to know it.

So, here's my purchasing/picking up story: It almost fell through, but I was saved by a great UHaul expert.

I got the phone call from the seller on saturday afternoon. I drove out to see it sunday and put a down-payment on it. I didn't have a TV yet, so I thought I could rent a uhaul pickup truck.

I didn't know there were different kinds of electric plugs so after driving across 2 states, I found I couldn't take the trailer home. I somehow didn't panic.

I went to the local UHaul office and they had an adapter, but they only had a female adapter. I needed a male, with the 6 prongs. This guy was a genious! He sent me down the road to an RV dealer who made an adapter for me ON THE SPOT! He only charged me $25 for it, and it was ready in minutes.

I took it back to the trailer, plugged it in, it worked, and I drove my trailer home! Yay!

It was almost a wasted day: 8 hours of driving and about $250 in rental and gas, but I got it.

The thing is, I really didn't want to spend double the money on a new one. Just delivering it to CT would have been $2K. And there are no others for sale around here. They are all in California or Arizona or Florida. I really didn't want to have to go that far. And I really don't see the point in spending double the money on a new one. It's just for fun and for summer, so, since I'm still working 10 months of the year, I won't get enough use out of it to justify buying it new.

So I'm on my way to having my TV inspected. I'm buying a Volvo V70 AWD SE wagon. It's even white!!! Got it for a great price right near home. 3300lb towing capacity but much better gas milage than a huge suv.

And I already chatted with UHaul to make sure they can install the receiver and ball. I love it because it's low- I can easily get my kayaks on the roof with just 4 new Thule feet. I have all the rest of the hardware already for my Civic. This is so much better than a huge tll suv: I was going to have trouble getting both boats all the way up there! I'm only 5 feet tall!

Fingers crossed! If the mechanic says it's good, I'm buying the volvo today. I'll get it tuesday and put the hitch on it over the weeked. I'll be able to do the vin verification weeks before my temp registration expires.

I found an rv mechanic nearby, too. They're also hard to find around here!

While I'm waiting, I ordered the magnetic hitch poles so I can connect it alone. I got a steel wheel lock, the hitch wheel (and I can move it on cement! I did last night!) and heavy duty plastic levelling blocks and wheel chocks. I got the strap on mirror extensions and a telescoping rake. What a great idea! I found a clear sewer extender, the treatment goo and the toilet paper.

Now I need an extra scissor jack and I'm going out for plastic bins for the cupboards. I figure I'd rather be able to toss alot into the bins and pull them out to dig around. Plus, I like the idea that they'll catch the messes and prevent spillage. Bins. Definitely.

I sew, so I'll cut a thick mattress topper and cut it to fit the bed, and with  a long zipper make a fitted sheet. I don't plan on putting the table up, ever. I really love the idea that the bedding will just be there: No fuss, no muss, not going into my volvo at all: Pillows, blankets, it's all just staying put except for laundry day. I totally LOVE that. So, on each trip, the kitchen and bed will already be packed. Wow. Same thing when I leave a site: All that packing I won't have to do!!!! Just leave it as is!!

I'm loving this!

ok, sue, gotta add my 2 cents worth. i'm thinking you're gonna go crazy with this and even think about full timing in it. now how would i think something like that, you may ask?  well, perhaps because i spent 40 years working/accumulating what i felt would be my security at retirement/planned to buy a casita for "little trips"/met and fell in love with my patriot deluxe, sassie cassie and have gone absolutely nuts! i sleep inside her every night in the driveway/hurry and get chores done at the houses  here and spend the majority of my time dreaming of/planning road trips with my new "casita cult family" i see my life now as divided into BC and AC, Before cassie and After cassie

i could totally see myself full timing in her as i've become quite the minimalist/only need my bird identification book/binoculars/kayak and merlin,my co pilot and i'm pretty happy and content. got the rest of the year packed with trips/rallies/etc. i love all the things you identified about your patriot and for the same reasons. now, just don't be surprised if you become totally addicted. just saying, it happens, if you're lucky!

hope to see you somewhere down the road, maybe next ohio/niagara falls/canada trip. safe travels, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#27 jazzjunkysue

jazzjunkysue
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

OK! I bought a newer, more expensive Volvo, but it's amazing and a much better investment. Talking to the hitch guy tomorrow, picking up the volvo tuesday night!

UHaul seems to be choking on itself about the 7 pin electric connector. I think I'm going with a local guy.

Anyone else find the UHaul hitch people useless?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006_volvo_xc70_wagon.jpg

#28 jazzjunkysue

jazzjunkysue
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Claire and Sandy-

It's funny how everyone who sees the photo of the Patriot smiles, and does the "awwwww...it's soooo cute!" reaction. I think I'll call it "The Puppy" because that's how everyone reacts to it.

Lol: I don't think I'll sleep in it in my driveway, but you may be right about becoming addicted. I love the idea of being in the state parks and off the grid, away from commercialization and technology. I love waking up with the sun, or to some little kid's pull toy scraping the sidewalk (That will be better in the Puppy", too!.)

Then, I love when the sun starts to set. I begin to relax and get ready for the evening, the crickets, the animals waking up. I really love it in the state parks where I'm in natural surroundings, but I'm not all alone up on some mountain.

I wish I could get to the southwest. I'll bet it's a whole different experience with the sand and cactus and different wildlife. We'll see how far afield I get when I really know what I'm doing.

Right now I'm awaiting the arrival of my A-Z guide and looking for a first shake-down local trip with full hook ups so I can learn how to do everything.

• teacher retired likes this

#29 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

Claire and Sandy-

It's funny how everyone who sees the photo of the Patriot smiles, and does the "awwwww...it's soooo cute!" reaction. I think I'll call it "The Puppy" because that's how everyone reacts to it.

Lol: I don't think I'll sleep in it in my driveway, but you may be right about becoming addicted. I love the idea of being in the state parks and off the grid, away from commercialization and technology. I love waking up with the sun, or to some little kid's pull toy scraping the sidewalk (That will be better in the Puppy", too!.)

Then, I love when the sun starts to set. I begin to relax and get ready for the evening, the crickets, the animals waking up. I really love it in the state parks where I'm in natural surroundings, but I'm not all alone up on some mountain.

I wish I could get to the southwest. I'll bet it's a whole different experience with the sand and cactus and different wildlife. We'll see how far afield I get when I really know what I'm doing.

Right now I'm awaiting the arrival of my A-Z guide and looking for a first shake-down local trip with full hook ups so I can learn how to do everything.

hi, sue, you're definitely doing it right, get out as often as possible. each trip reveals new adventures and teaches you wonderful lessons. have fun in your learning curve! claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#30 jazzjunkysue

jazzjunkysue
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Got my volvo hitch yesterday ( Draw-tite, actually) , and it's rated better than the company volvo hitch, so, I'm OK with tongue weight on the Patriot. This hitch is rated 300lb tongue weight, and the volvo one is only rated 165. My mechanic says I'm fine. He's a total pro, and he's honest. My volvo allows for 950lbs of cargo, so I'm good, there. Even with the 255lb tongue, I've still got 700lbs of crap margin, which I won't even approach. Fully loaded, the volvo might approach 4500lb, so my casita will be less than half the weight of the tv.

He says I don't need any new struts/shocks. In case any serious car tech guys read this, it's the volvo wagon xc70 aw drive rated to tow 3300lb, with oil and tranny coolers standard. It also has a sway bar from the last owner, and the old ball carrier that goes in the receiver has the extra small ball for the sway bar, and they all go together beautifully. Both the patriot and the volvo are registered and insured with plates. Whew!

The Patriot is in the shop right now: The only rv guy within an hour and a half of me has a dozen $200K giant bus/tanks/3 bedroom busses in line ahead of me. My patriot is the mascot of the yard. The repairman likes helping me cause the Patriot is so cute compared to the monsters he sells and services. You could probably drive my patriot INTO one of those things, and nobody would even notice! I just want him to do his $300 "Bon voyage" once-over maintenance before I hit the road. I'm not mechanically inclined, so, I want his approval, and hopefully, it will be done at the end of the week.

I know the motorheads on here will think I'm getting ripped off by these guys, but I don't have a choice: I just don't know this stuff. I figure I'll bring it to him every year just to be safe.

But the important thing is I'm reading my A-Z guide on my tablet while on the treadmill. I'll sit down and read it at the computer and take notes. I can bring it with me on my tablet on my first trip and read everything as I go along. I'm gonna take that first trip in slow motion. I'm really going to enjoy it. Like meditation.

"Disconnect the 7way plug while eating dinner at the rest stop and at the site. Put a filter on the fresh water hose. Bought the rv t-paper and the treatment goo. Make sure the hot water tank is full and the pump is on before heating the water. Fill the blackwater tank before emptying, and then the grey, and turn off the exhaust fan. Bought the clear sewer extension. Black rubber gloves. Check the hitch with a mirror. Chocks, leveling. Go to a lot and practice backing up. Keep the battery on the slow drip so it doesn't die. Maintain battery water. Stop at the weigh station and weigh all the different parts. 15% tongue weight, so pack the patriot accordingly."  It's all starting to make sense to me.

I bought detachable wide mirrors and they're working great. I can really see well, and it will help with traffic/changing lanes, etc. The volvo has cruise so I'll set it at 55 and watch everyone speed past me, jealous! When I get it all together, with the 2 kayaks on the roof of the volvo, I'll post a pic.

Getting excited!! :P :P

• teacher retired and Go Faster like this