11 replies to this topic

#1 4helen

4helen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/16

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

My new 13' Patriot Deluxe was delivered Saturday 5/24....had been anxiously waiting its delivery..meanwhile my arthritic knee has gotten progressively worse.  I will be unable to navigate in the smaller space.  So I am selling it and will buy a 16 foot Spirit Deluxe.  The Patriot has not been touched! Has lift kit and all LED light options.  Asking $14,500. Near Ocala/Gainesville FL

#2 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Okay, Helen, I don't understand your problem. How is having a couple of extra feet going to help your knees? I have two arthritic knees and an artificial hip so I come at this from a difficult point of view. You are still going to have the swelling, pain and decreased range of motion regardless of the two extra feet. You still won't be able to get down to get anything under the bed like an errant shoe. The rest of the trailer is the same unless you are thinking you will keep the dining table up rather than making up the bed everyday. But, you still have a lot of bending of that knee outside in setting up and taking down the trailer when camping and dumping waste. Then there is the act of getting in and out of the Casita. That is a difficult step up. Don't want to hurt your feelings but would really like to understand what you think you have to gain where your knees are to concerned. I waited to see if anyone else would chime in... Sandy
  • ArizonaEileen, MarkyV, clairemr1 and 1 other like this

#3 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

I sorta agree with Sandy. If you think the 16' will be better for the knee, why not go with a 17'?

Please tell us your reasoning, or the real story.

• teacher retired likes this

#4 4helen

4helen
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/16

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

The reasons aren't just in feet per se....the placement of the battery under the rear street side seat is a biggy to me...I had planned on leaving the bed area always a bed.  While I am trying to learn about all my  tecky stuff, it will be a royal pain to move  and bend down while standing on my head to tend and monitor the battery.  If I decide to use the table config, it is hard for me to "ease around" the edge of the table to sit on the cushions; of course I do not have to use the table.

I had a gooseneck live-in horse trailer.  I still have alot of my horsey toys for camping such as my 2 step mounting block which will fit right under the door.  With the Spirit, I will always have a place to sit with a small table and the bed will always be made in the back and the battery will be behind the outside hatch which I can tend to sitting down on a stool.  Most of my camping trips will be at horse trail events and I will always have friends helping me.  I have a waste dump near the barn and someone to help me at home...you didnt hurt my feelings :)

• ArizonaEileen likes this

#5 Hargrl

Hargrl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 AM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

Helen.. Have you considered the 17 Spirit deluxe? It has a larger 54 in. bed and bathroom. You also have more headroom to stand up. Mine is supposed to arrive next Wednesday. Oh .. a few more good points.. It comes with a step. You can also opt for the larger water tank which really is a plus if you are boon docking. Talk with your sells rep and let them give you all of the details. Quite a few differences. Happy trails!! Above all get what you think is best for you!

#6 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

Have you talked with Casita about the possibility of trading your brand new Patriot back in on a new Spirit Deluxe?

I noticed recently that Casita was advertising a new 16' that had been purchased and immediately traded back for a 17' so apparently it is not an unheard of transaction.

No doubt you will lose a little money on the trade if they'll accomodate you but that's going to happen regardless of how you dispose of the Patriot.

• clairemr1 likes this

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,379 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

The reasons aren't just in feet per se....the placement of the battery under the rear street side seat is a biggy to me...I had planned on leaving the bed area always a bed.  While I am trying to learn about all my  tecky stuff, it will be a royal pain to move  and bend down while standing on my head to tend and monitor the battery.  If I decide to use the table config, it is hard for me to "ease around" the edge of the table to sit on the cushions; of course I do not have to use the table.

I had a gooseneck live-in horse trailer.  I still have alot of my horsey toys for camping such as my 2 step mounting block which will fit right under the door.  With the Spirit, I will always have a place to sit with a small table and the bed will always be made in the back and the battery will be behind the outside hatch which I can tend to sitting down on a stool.  Most of my camping trips will be at horse trail events and I will always have friends helping me.  I have a waste dump near the barn and someone to help me at home...you didnt hurt my feelings :)

of course, you're totally free to do whatever you want to with your new patriot, but the concerns you have are easily surmountable. i bought my 2013 from an elderly man who did a great modification for me before i got it, moved the battery to the tongue. as far as the table, i agree it would be a tad tight getting in to, especially if i gain any extra weight! someone told me the table can be cut at whatever length you want to make it easier to access the table/seats when it's in that configuration. you then will still have the 2 pieces that can be used when making up your bed. so far, i've just left it in the bed configuration, since i sleep in her every night in the driveway when not on a trip! i love it that much.

i've had little sassie cassie since feb 1 and am very happy with my choice. i have an older tow vehicle and didn't want to stress "Earl" any. the patriot's very light weight makes it a breeze to tow. also, i wanted something i could handle by myself. as most of my camping is solo and the patriot fits that requirement to a t. i've also heard from couples who are happy with their patriot, as they spend most of their time outside anyway. even had a couple in their 80's offer me more than i paid for her in tres rios rv resort. they are used to teardrop camping, but tired of dressing while laying down.regardless of having either a step installed on the larger casitas or having a small stool that i use, you still have to go through the same motions with your knee when entering or exiting. i really don't see the difference that it will make in getting a larger casita. at our ages, most of us have arthritic knees/hips/back, etc, just goes with the territory.

best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do and don't give up on the casitas. they are great trailers. hope to see you at a rally or on the road sometime, regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• SKYTALKER and Gourdamental like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

of course, you're totally free to do whatever you want to with your new patriot, but the concerns you have are easily surmountable. i bought my 2013 from an elderly man who did a great modification for me before i got it, moved the battery to the tongue. as far as the table, i agree it would be a tad tight getting in to, especially if i gain any extra weight! someone told me the table can be cut at whatever length you want to make it easier to access the table/seats when it's in that configuration. you then will still have the 2 pieces that can be used when making up your bed. so far, i've just left it in the bed configuration, since i sleep in her every night in the driveway when not on a trip! i love it that much.

i've had little sassie cassie since feb 1 and am very happy with my choice. i have an older tow vehicle and didn't want to stress "Earl" any. the patriot's very light weight makes it a breeze to tow. also, i wanted something i could handle by myself. as most of my camping is solo and the patriot fits that requirement to a t. i've also heard from couples who are happy with their patriot, as they spend most of their time outside anyway. even had a couple in their 80's offer me more than i paid for her in tres rios rv resort. they are used to teardrop camping, but tired of dressing while laying down.regardless of having either a step installed on the larger casitas or having a small stool that i use, you still have to go through the same motions with your knee when entering or exiting. i really don't see the difference that it will make in getting a larger casita. at our ages, most of us have arthritic knees/hips/back, etc, just goes with the territory.

best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do and don't give up on the casitas. they are great trailers. hope to see you at a rally or on the road sometime, regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

whoops, also forgot, i'm learning from the casita crowd here that there are many ways to save water/shower/use commode when boondocking, even in the smaller patriot. my one concern has been i don't want to slow anyone down or inconvenience anyone while boondocking, with my smaller reserve tanks. i'm finding out that's not the problem that i thought, either. these folks on this website are incredibly knowledgeable. bottom line, casita makes a great trailer, no matter it's size! enjoy. claire

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,401 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

4helen

fyi Claire is in our senior single female demographics and she is a RN use to dealing with "olde folks" and folks "physically impaired" she might have some good advise in her suggestions. We, the Casita Family, would like to see you be successful in your new camper. I can sympathize with your equine additions.....it is hard to break if not impossible...........retired equine DVM here

Clover & her pup

• 4helen likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

4helen

fyi Claire is in our senior single female demographics and she is a RN use to dealing with "olde folks" and folks "physically impaired" she might have some good advise in her suggestions. We, the Casita Family, would like to see you be successful in your new camper. I can sympathize with your equine additions.....it is hard to break if not impossible...........retired equine DVM here

Clover & her pup

and helen, fyi, clover was the first to reach out to me on this site and has been a great resource for how to get the most out of our casitas. she's been travelling in her 17 ft with her son for over 7 years, boondocks a lot and is always ready to answer my mundane questions and always has a simple solution to all my worries. thanks always, clover, hugs to w from us,  i can't say it enough, helen, casita folks are the best folks! claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• 4helen likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 564 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

You may try private messaging "CyberCuban". She posted in this same forum that she is interested in purchasing a used Casita and she too is in Florida, so it may be an easy match. Best of luck!

Toddy

#12 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,401 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hot Toddy this post is over a year old. Helen has probably sold here trailer by now.

Happy New Year

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: casita, florida