clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

hi, fellow casita travellers! i'm working on getting my passport renewed for a possible Canada visit later this summer. i will be travelling with my dog and wondering what are the requirements for getting him in  and out of Canada? online information is not always consistent. has anyone done it recently?

any other restrictions on things you can take in/out that i need to consider? thank you for any info

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#2 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Replies in other forum.

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,250 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

We have been going to BC, Canada just about every year with 2 - 3 dogs for a long time now.  Entering BC, they require current rabies shots, so we carry their shot records.  Most of the time they just ask and don't look at the records.  It's useful to have, too, in case your dog gets sick and needs to see a vet.

Entering the US, they want to know if the dogs were born in the US but don't ask for documents.  Although, if asked, the shot records would be enough proof.  I guess if you were importing a dog from Canada you would need papers.  The other thing they sometimes ask about is the dog food you are carrying.  There are lists from the Dept of Agriculture that limit certain meat products entering the US (even in dry dog food).  We try to bring enough dog food to last through the trip.  If we need to buy some in Canada, we buy small amounts so there is very little left when we come home.  In case, they want to confiscate it but they never have.

• Babs&Chris and timeout like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

We have been going to BC, Canada just about every year with 2 - 3 dogs for a long time now.  Entering BC, they require current rabies shots, so we carry their shot records.  Most of the time they just ask and don't look at the records.  It's useful to have, too, in case your dog gets sick and needs to see a vet.

Entering the US, they want to know if the dogs were born in the US but don't ask for documents.  Although, if asked, the shot records would be enough proof.  I guess if you were importing a dog from Canada you would need papers.  The other thing they sometimes ask about is the dog food you are carrying.  There are lists from the Dept of Agriculture that limit certain meat products entering the US (even in dry dog food).  We try to bring enough dog food to last through the trip.  If we need to buy some in Canada, we buy small amounts so there is very little left when we come home.  In case, they want to confiscate it but they never have.

thanks, carol, sounds much simpler than i thought. i'll take merlin's annual immunizations records and my passport, if they don't like his food coming back into the usa, easy enough to leave it there and buy some after we get back over the border. appreciate your quick response, have a great day

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Replies in other forum.

thank you harvey

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,270 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

It's even more 'useful' if the dog bites anyone.  I got a dog bite in AZ last year .  The first thing the camphost, and later the AZ animal control officer, asked for was a current rabies shot.  If that had not been produced the dog would have been quarantined for a certain time.

• timeout likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !