ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,073 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hi Alisa --

Love when new female Solos join our community!

Lots of good advice for you in this thread. When purchasing a new tow vehicle, make sure you get one with enough space in it to haul around your camping equipment. Better to load it up with your extraneous stuff than to put it in the Casita.

You might consider purchasing my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. Everything you need to know, all in one place. Be sure to check out the Table of Contents and the Testimonials.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#17 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

alisa, i'm just finishing a camp host gig that's lasted a bit over 2 months in my 16sd.  in some way sitting stationary is harder and certainly different from moving about for an extended period.  i've never felt cramped or crowded and had everything i needed for comfort and shelter.  it's just winston the wander dog (another schnoodle), a small gnome and me...  i find the storage quite adequate especially using the bed of the pickup for things not needed often.  of course i'm prejudiced but i'd vote for the 16' for a lot of the reasons stated above and the fact that they are so cool.  that curved door, no hump on the top for the a/c, lower height...just more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.  oh yeah and you can have a screen door.  a few boards, a saw and...well, you get the picture.

whatever your choice i'm sure you'll have a blast!

p@

IMG_0342.jpg

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#18 arlon

arlon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Bunk Delux
  • Interests:Anything that gets me outside, photography

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

I've been out for awhile in the Davis Mountains. Hope the search is coming along OK. My decision on model was made for me when a friend of mine put his Casita up for sale. I wrote him a check within an hour of it being mentioned as being for sale. Try and have your financing in order in case you run into the right one. If a decent deal, it will be sold before you can fill out the paper work at the bank (ordering a new one solves some of that headache). 

Getting the tow vehicle in order first also helps as long as you're set on a Casita At least you know what you'll be towing. Nothing worse that buying a minimal tow vehicle and THEN  deciding you want a  slightly larger trailer. (-:}

2002 17 Casita Bunk Model Delux
2005 AWD Astro van (my solo camper)
Dodge/Cummins quad cab

#19 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

arlon, on 07 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

I've been out for awhile in the Davis Mountains. Hope the search is coming along OK. My decision on model was made for me when a friend of mine put his Casita up for sale. I wrote him a check within an hour of it being mentioned as being for sale. Try and have your financing in order in case you run into the right one. If a decent deal, it will be sold before you can fill out the paper work at the bank (ordering a new one solves some of that headache). 

Getting the tow vehicle in order first also helps as long as you're set on a Casita At least you know what you'll be towing. Nothing worse that buying a minimal tow vehicle and THEN  deciding you want a  slightly larger trailer. (-:}

Arlon is precisely accurate in his statements about being ready.  A buyer who wants a used Casita must know what he or she wants (and does not want), have cash or financing prearranged, have a tow vehicle set up to tow, and keep a sharp eye on the classifed ads.  If you want a used Casita I recommend subscribing to the classified ads so that you'll receive notification of new listings.  There are lots of folks looking.  Jumping as soon as you see one you like is critical for success.

I was watching the classified ads several weeks ago when a nice 2010 SD17 showed up.  I emailed immediately and made a decision to buy as soon as I reviewed the emailed photos.  I made an offer and the seller accepted.  I think our agreement was reached on a Tuesday and Friday morning I was at the seller's home north of Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN.

The seller told me he had four more inquiries after we made a deal.

#20 alisa

alisa
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Backpacking, hiking, biking.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

Two years later, and I have done it! Full time living in my 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe. Thank you for posting all the helpful info. You guys are great!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160620_214432.jpg

#21 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Congratulations!

16 or 17 ft? What will you tow with? Where will you go on your first trip! You are gonna have fun!  

Not a pop quiz (used to hate those) but your answer will be graded.

Hope to see ya' down the road.

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#22 koi-kid

koi-kid
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 FD 17'
  • Interests:Fine Woodworking, Ham Radio,Vintage Volkswagen & Vintage BMW M/C, Photography,gardening and many more.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

Congratulations Alisa,

Seems like you stuck with your dream that you started a couple years ago.

Reading the old post it looks like you got a used instead of new Casita. That's the way I do let some one else take that hit on the price drop just pulling it off the lot.

We are new to this also just got our 2010 FD a month ago and still haven't taken it out on it's maiden run yet :(  But that was because there was some repair / maintenance items that I needed to take care of first and the last couple weeks have been to busy taking care of things on our acreage and some other commitments. 

Neither of us could do the full time RVing I think 2 weeks would be about tops for us being away form our place. 

There are lots of good folks and information on this site for you as you travel.

Take care, be Safe and enjoy your new life to the fullest.

Marsh