17 replies to this topic

#1 Fun Pig

Fun Pig
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17'

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

We just ordered a SD 17'.  Should be ready June 26th.  We're now trying to decide whether to drive to TX to pick up or have it delivered.  $1500 delivery or 3600 mile round trip.  Mrs. Fun Pig says TX is too hot in late June.  She wants to go to Maine.  I don't mind the Texas heat or the Maine cool.  I just want to go!

We're from Massachusetts.  Had 2 motor homes. traveled a lot. Every US state except Hawaii and every Canadian province except Manitoba.  Motor homes are too expensive for retirement. Looking forward to some Casita time. 

Alan & Lorraine Fun Pig

#2 MrHDHawg

MrHDHawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yes, drive to Rice Texas! I must have ordered my SD 17' the day before you as I'm picking mine up on June 25th. I will be driving from southern CA (approx 2600 miles roundtrip). If you think it's hot in Rice Texas, I'm going from Rice to Harlingen Texas which is a little over 400 miles straight south near the Mexican border, and about 35 miles from South Padre Island. I'll be there a week or so before heading back to CA. It will be steaming down there. I'll get a chance to check out the AC on the Casita.

#3 GarlandGuy

GarlandGuy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 SD 17'

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Historic average temperatures North Central Texas in late June is mid-90s for high and mid-70's for low overnight.  Texas weather is hard to predict, but it will be warm compared to Mass.  Congrats on the new Casita.  We picked up our 17' SD new this past Dec.  Just got back from second trip.  It is great.  Just what we wanted.  Good luck and safe travels.

#4 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hot in Texas in June? It is all in the perception of heat. We are from NH. George went into Tropical Medicine in the Army and we lived no further north than DC since leaving NH. We would go home in the summer and the heat and humidity of a 90* day with 90% humidity without any air conditioning was awful. Have been in Texas for 22 years. Humidity rarely gets to 90% unless it is getting ready to rain. Bottom line is the ac in that trailer may in fact freeze you out. We camp all summer long as it is easy to cool that little trailer and makes camping in the heat very nice. We spend a cool morning and evening outside. Also, since you are in MA going to ME may be an oft planned trip in your future.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Welcome to the club and safe travels wherever you go. Sandy

#5 DKerb

DKerb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 SD 17
  • Interests:hiking, backpacking, biking, travel, golf, Grandkids

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Drive to Texas. Picked up mine in Sept. 2011.  It's only 3852.9 miles round trip from the Springfield, MA area via Charleston WV (picked up son) and enjoyed the experience of a factory intro. We'll probably still have snow on the ground here in June. Give you a chance to test both the AC and the furnace. One of the first trips I made was to SD. It was the only state I hadn't been to. Having owned a couple of motor homes, your learning curve will be much shorter than mine. Good luck, you'll love the Casita.

#6 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

I recommend you drive to Texas and pick it up at the Casita plant.  You'll enjoy the trip.

The trip will be an opportunity to see some scenery and the return trip will allow you to become familiar with the new Casita before your wife's trip to Maine.

I drove to Minnesota last week to pick up mine and enjoyed it.

Edited by HBarlow, 17 April 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#7 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I'd say go to Texas.  Then you can plan a trip to the mountains - Santa Fe?

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 04:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Go to Texas! Worth the experience and the camping on the way back. One of the best trips of my life.

Eileen

Fun Pig: Any chance you and MrHDHawg (above) are related?

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

You need to get west of I-35W and a bit south to REALLY see the best parts of Texas. The humidity drops exponentially west of 35W.  

It doesn't really get Texas Hot until mid July. Well except in 1980 and then again in 2011 (three plus months of over 100 degrees in our area). The entire state is still in a deep drought so the lakes are all low and some even dry.

I would vote for the drive to Texas and plan to stay and visit a few places while here. But remember your sense of distance is very different here. For us "everything" is at leas an hour away. It is father from Texarkana to El Paso than it is from El Paso to Los Angels.  

You will want to make sure Casita has replaced the Mach 8 fan blade for the one that is said to be much quieter. The current set up is excessively loud. The June heat will give you an accurate test of the cooling capabilities and the noise level. 

Congratulations on your new Casita. 

Clover

• Fun Pig likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,100 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Congratulations on your new Casita.

I picked mine up in June 2008. Drove from about 20 miles west of the Seattle area down and back solo, (wife had to work). Although it was warmer than I was used to, since people in WA don't tan, they rust, but not unbearable. It would have been more fun to have my wife along to share the experience, but I still enjoyed the trip even by myself. I saw many things I may not have ever seen otherwise, so I'd say "go for it," you won't regret the sights and experiences of your journey. After all, you're buying a wonderful little travel trailer for travelling, right?

• Meadowlark likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#11 araden

araden
  • Casita Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Sailing, Hiking, Reading, canoeing, spending time with my bride.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

I would also encourage you to pick yours up.  We did so in February from SouthEast Florida.  You get to meet the people at Casita, including your sales person, and get a hands-on orientation to your trailer.  We spent several days returning home with the Casita, and enjoyed the trip, feeling like veterans after setting up and camping in it for several nights.

Besides that, we had some cajun crawfish in Louisiana... reason enough to make the trip.

• ArizonaEileen likes this

- Al
SouthEast Florida
2014 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Spirit Deluxe - "Scrimsharker"

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Euphoria is right, we Washingtonions don't tan, we rust. The state flower is mildew. So a little heat isn't unwelcome here. Oh, it gets warm here...every 5th of July, it gets warm enough for us to bring the children out and show them the sun, so that they can tell THEIR children they saw it once.

Drive to Texas. Spend the first night close to Rice (about forty miles or so to shake everything loose if it's gonna come loose) and run everything: water through the pipes, shower, toilet, run all the appliances: fan, stove, fridge...everything. If something doesn't work, you're close enough to Rice to turn back and get it fixed.

There is no better way to enjoy the new trailer than taking it back home. Take the back roads. Camp.  It's what you purchased it for. and take the long way home. You're there for enjoyment, not business, so do take your time. You've already experienced RV'ing, so it won't be a shock to you. If it were me, and I was going to Mass, I'd head northeast, through states like TN, KY, Virginia, West By God, MD, etc.  I wouldn't take 75 or 95 or the turnpikes unless I absolutely had to. 

• Gourdamental likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#13 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

I should also add that it would be worthwhile for you to considering purchasing my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. It covers everything you need to know about traveling to Rice, including where to stay the night before, what to expect when you get to the factory, and where to stay that night, plus all of the items you'll need to bring with you when you camp.

Even if you decide not to make the trip, there is a ton of worthwhile information you will find useful. Be sure to check out the Table of Contents and the Testimonials.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#14 Fun Pig

Fun Pig
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

I should also add that it would be worthwhile for you to considering purchasing my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. It covers everything you need to know about traveling to Rice, including where to stay the night before, what to expect when you get to the factory, and where to stay that night, plus all of the items you'll need to bring with you when you camp.

Even if you decide not to make the trip, there is a ton of worthwhile information you will find useful. Be sure to check out the Table of Contents and the Testimonials.

Eileen

We bought your guide about a week ago.  Very helpful!

• ArizonaEileen likes this

#15 Fun Pig

Fun Pig
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Euphoria is right, we Washingtonions don't tan, we rust. The state flower is mildew. So a little heat isn't unwelcome here. Oh, it gets warm here...every 5th of July, it gets warm enough for us to bring the children out and show them the sun, so that they can tell THEIR children they saw it once.

Drive to Texas. Spend the first night close to Rice (about forty miles or so to shake everything loose if it's gonna come loose) and run everything: water through the pipes, shower, toilet, run all the appliances: fan, stove, fridge...everything. If something doesn't work, you're close enough to Rice to turn back and get it fixed.

There is no better way to enjoy the new trailer than taking it back home. Take the back roads. Camp.  It's what you purchased it for. and take the long way home. You're there for enjoyment, not business, so do take your time. You've already experienced RV'ing, so it won't be a shock to you. If it were me, and I was going to Mass, I'd head northeast, through states like TN, KY, Virginia, West By God, MD, etc.  I wouldn't take 75 or 95 or the turnpikes unless I absolutely had to. 

Good advice. I like the back roads idea.  I'll have to see how much time I can get.