4 replies to this topic

#1 Trinityfly

Trinityfly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17ft

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hello all, I am Joe Mercier. My wife Diane and I have just ordered a Casita Independence 17 Deluxe.  We are retired and live in the far north of California in the middle of the Trinity Alps. Our plans are to pick up the new Casita in Winslow Az, which is about 1/2 way from where we live to Rice Texas. We would have liked to make the trip to Rice to get our trailer but just couldn't spare the time as we have live stock at home that depend on us.

Its been many years since we have pulled a trailer but I am sure that we will be old hands at it in no time. Our tow vehicle is a 1997 Toyota 4runner limited. For sure this will be the smallest vehicle that I have ever used towing but many posts in this forum says it will work just fine for us.

See you on the roadJoe&Di@Bandon.JPG

Joe

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Welcome to The Casita Club!

Eric  B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 Paul and Michelle

Paul and Michelle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Joe and Diane,

Congratulations on the ordering of your new Casita.  We just picked up our 17' SD in Rice on March 4th and already love it.  We are towing with a 2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4.0L V6 with towing package and it does fine.  Little loss of power on the long uphills, but the handling/steering is fine.  Added a sway bar for insurance.  Haven't calculated the gas mileage yet.  Welcome to this great forum,

Paul

#4 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

I hope you will enjoy your newly found Independence! How did you choose Winslow (where the wind ain't slow) as a meeting point (other than "half-way")? Be sure you "Take it Easy" while you're there. Winslow is one really desolate town in my view. We have a cabin about 70 miles south of there near Pine, AZ.

#5 Trinityfly

Trinityfly
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17ft

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Thank you for the welcome, Eric, Paul and Michelle and MGD. I am nervousness about the purchase. Having it delivered without the dealer hold our hand causes some stress. However, the product has an excellent reputation and much of the commentary in the forum reflects the passion of Casita owners for their trailers. So, as I am want to do I will try to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

MGD. the reason we picked Winslow is that it is almost exactly half way from our home. As we have animals we are responsible for at our homestead we find it difficult to be gone for more than a week to 10 days. That makes Winslow just about right. Also, we plan to get there two days before our trailer arrives and have reservations at La Posada. That hotel has great history from the early days of the west and the Railroad. It is one of the "Harvey Hotels" strung along the Rail road instrumental in the settling of the southwest. Finaly, we plan a day to drive up to Ganado to visit Hubble's Trading Post. Finaly, I would like to visit the meteor crater just outside Winslow.

Long winded, but hope that answers you question MGD

Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Fishing, Weaving, history, Spinning, Flyfishing