• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DCasitaGal

DCasitaGal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty17Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping, music festivals, Casita rallies, hiking, reading, sitting and singing around the campfire. Getting away from the stress of daily life. Volunteering, oil painting

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi Everyone! In a couple of weeks, our new Liberty 17 will arrive from Rice to Washington, DC. My husband and I have been "rental" campers for several years now and have finally acted on our dream to buy an RV of our own. We are a few years from retirement yet, but we just can't wait any longer.

Since we are newbies, we will be interested in following discussions on just about everything related to Casita ownership and camping. We are planning on weekend/holiday treks to nearby state and national parks for the most part until we retire.

Our first orders of business are to find a place to store the Casita near DC, as we live in a highrise apartment building with underground parking. Also, we need to get a trailer hitch. Then we'll be searching for a good name for our new tiny home and watching the tutorials on You Tube!

Thanks in advance for all of the wonderful postings on this Club site!

• Babs&Chris likes this

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Welcome to The Casita Club and congrats on your new trailer!

I think you might be our only members from Washington, D.C.!

Eric  B)

• DCasitaGal likes this

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

DCasitaGal --

Welcome to the Casita Community! (actually, it's a Cult...but a good one.)

In order to hasten your learning curve, you might consider purchasing a copy of my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. Everything you need to know. Check out the Table of Contents and the Testimonials. I'm certain you would find it beneficial.

Happy trails!

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 DCasitaGal

DCasitaGal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Camping, music festivals, Casita rallies, hiking, reading, sitting and singing around the campfire. Getting away from the stress of daily life. Volunteering, oil painting

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

Our new Casita just arrived last weekend to our storage space just outside of Washington, DC. It was a rainy day, unfortunately, but it was magical all the same! We spent some time with our wonderful delivery guy (name escapes me at the moment!) and then practiced hitching her up. We'll be taking her out on our "Shakedown Cruise" in a couple of weeks. It's been such an awful winter we want to make sure it won't freeze again.

In the meantime, I am reading about all of the things you can do to customize the trailer, and unfortunately it sounds a bit ominous as it mentions all the things that can go wrong with various valves and such. There is so much to learn, but first, we just want to pack our toothbrushes and go!

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hi Everyone,

Our new Casita just arrived last weekend to our storage space just outside of Washington, DC. It was a rainy day, unfortunately, but it was magical all the same! We spent some time with our wonderful delivery guy (name escapes me at the moment!) and then practiced hitching her up. We'll be taking her out on our "Shakedown Cruise" in a couple of weeks. It's been such an awful winter we want to make sure it won't freeze again.

In the meantime, I am reading about all of the things you can do to customize the trailer, and unfortunately it sounds a bit ominous as it mentions all the things that can go wrong with various valves and such. There is so much to learn, but first, we just want to pack our toothbrushes and go!

not to worry, you'll learn as you go. see if you can attend an area casita rally, it's a really great way to learn from long time casita owners. everyone seems more than happy to help you learn about this wonderful trailer. happy trails, claire and excellent schnoodle, merlin

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Gourdamental

Gourdamental
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Avid crafter...especially gourds
    Retired 9-1-1 Calltaker

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

I know what you mean about Castian talking all about the specialty problems. Not having taken delivery of my Liberty yet I am right there with you sister. But take heart in knowing you did not buy someone else's "lemon". Yours is brand-spankin' new. I plan on having several copies of the checklist at the ready for set up and break down.

Gourdamentally yours,

Shelly 

2014 Calista 17' Liberty "Podette", towed by 06 Toyota Sienna

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Many folks happily use their Casitas unaltered and void of any mods. For the most part  these little campers are worry free. Keep in mind many of the owners are retired couples. Guys are a lot happier if they are tinkering or think they can make something better. Not a lot can go really wrong! Forgetting to open the shower drain before you take a shower is not that bad now that the valve to open it is in the closet and not outside under the front of the trailer. Also remember to close it before leaving because nasty water will slosh up into you shower floor if it is not empty when moving. 

All of our mods are related to making boon-docking easier. Others like to make changes that are more aesthetic and not necessarily "need to have" to function well. Camp and travel for a period of time to find what you might want to change if anything. 

I think the most important thing to pay attention to is making sure you truly have the trailer hitched properly. It is fairly easy to have a "false hitch" and not have the trailer truly secured to the ball on the tow vehicle. If in doubt crank the jack back up high enough to start raising the back of your tow vehicle up in the air. 

A Casita is easy to tow, very forgiving even with a tire blow out. 

Clover & her pup

• DCasitaGal likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 knifeman

knifeman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 189 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17 ft sd
  • Interests:Knife making , boat building, kayaking ,fishing, just about anything outdoors

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

X2 what Clover said. The only change I have made is to go to a few led lights . Casita works perfect for us just like it is.

Ron

• DCasitaGal likes this

#9 DCasitaGal

DCasitaGal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the confidence boost! My name is Beverly, BTW, and my husband is Anders. We are still getting the hang of the forums!