#1 Blodn1

Blodn1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot/13'
  • Interests:Cooking and organizing

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hello from Nawfuk, y'all. I've very excited to be here, though I don't have my Casita, yet. Actually, I just decided on it last week, but haven't whittled it down to a 13' or a 16'. I'd prefer a shorter model, but with the furred and feathered crew, I think I might need the larger size - especially for the feathered one (Amazon parrot named"Bird"). Would love to hear from anyone who travels with cats and/or birds.

When I DO decide which, and get about ordering it, my shakedown cruise will be to Ikea in Houston for some houskeeping gizmos - and to visit my son and grandchildren, of course. Figure I'll learn a lot in a short time with all that going on.

In real life, I'm a retired engineer, owned a commercial bakery in El Salvador, and have taught 500 people to scuba dive. Days now are spent taking online courses, visiting my friends at the local Starbucks and taking day trips in the area to "study" cheese and wine. I'm looking forward to a trip to Alaska - the only state I haven't been to, so if there are any rallys going on next year, I might just see you there!

Looking forward to the road!IMG_0515.JPG

#2 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Oliver Elite II

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Welcome to the Casita Club, you will enjoy this web site. We purchased our 17 SD new in 2008 and have made may trips with it. Two years ago we went to Alaska but did not pull the Casita.
  • Blodn1 likes this

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

RV: ex-2008 Casita 17SD

RV: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6" Hull Number 93

TV: 2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4

#3 DART

DART
  • Casita Club Member
  • 45 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi Barbara, Before you buy and go to IKEA --give me a call first @ 281-488-7010 for some enlightening IDEAs. DART.

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

haven't whittled it down to a 13' or a 16'. I'd prefer a shorter model, but with the furred and feathered crew, I think I might need the larger size - especially for the feathered one (Amazon parrot named"Bird"). Would love to hear from anyone who travels with cats and/or birds.

i've had both a 13' and 16' (which is still around) and while i don't camp with cats (i do have a canine co pilot) or birds (but i have noticed that there are usually quite a lot of them around when i camp) i'd suggest you spring for the 16' so you & the bird will have a place to perch without converting the bed to a table every morning. the extra space in the 16' makes a huge difference. the cabin in the patriot is 10' long and the 16' box is 13' long. the downside is that the walk to the bathroom is a lot longer but you'll have that side dinette to stop & rest on the way.

p@
  • ArizonaEileen and Blodn1 like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#5 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

We travel with a cat. We have a Spirit but it is a 17. We leave the back dinette down as a bed all the time, and we put his litter box under the bed. The cat rides in his car in a crate, and when we stop for any length of time, we let him into the trailer. I have been working with him and a leash, and though he has gotten used to it, he still hasn't realized that it is okay to potty outside. Our biggest problem with him is that he sleeps about half the night and then wants to wander around in the middle of the night, and he has learned to open some of the cabinet latches with his head and paws. I am trying to figure out a way to keep him awake more in the daytime so he will be tired at night, but I haven't been real successful yet.
  • Blodn1 likes this

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 06:47 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Go with the 16'. You'll be glad you did. And most tow vehicles are rated for 3500 lbs, so tugging the Casita would be no effort.

I would also suggest that you purchase my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. Everything you'll need to know about buying, owning and maintaining a Casita.

As for the fiberglass rallies, here's a MAP of a bunch of them.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cats, birds