• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dos Para Casita

Dos Para Casita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

The DW, and I are interested in getting one of these two trailers. My inquiry runs the gamut from trailer weight to bathroom size. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Honda Odyssey, it has a 3.5L motor & 218 HP, rated for 3500 lb tow weight. With TV's modest capability the Escapeseems to have the edge, as its total dry weight is 475 pounds less than the Casita. How much of a difference will that make when I drive to Yosemite or Rocky Mt. National Park? Some other Escape advantages are it is 10" longer, and the aisle width is more generous. Is it 2" more in the Escape? Some have said that the dinette on the opposite end of the trailer is nice, why is that better than the Casita's? The Escape seems to have more storage inside, or does it really? One Casita Advantage is that it has a wider bed, 54" to 49." Do some of you set up two beds at night in the Escape? We would like to sleep together with our dog in the same bed. She is a 53 lb bulldog mix. Also, the Casita has a bigger bathroom. I am 5'11," will I have trouble standing up straight to shower in either of these units? One plus of the Casita is it is less expensive to buy a used one than a used Escape. I'll look forward to you feedback.

#2 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 03:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I own a Casita, but my advice is buy the Escape. They are very good rigs, and maybe more appropriate for your tow vehicle. See & inspect both brands. I could go on, with quibbles and details...but.....

#3 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

One thing to consider is that you can change out the gears on your TV and increase your towing capacity.

Check out my signature line.

Edited by Dex, 22 November 2013 - 06:31 PM.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#4 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

I suggest you join www.FiberglassRV.com. Considering this is a Casita-based forum, IMHO, you'll get more unbiased opinions there.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#5 floorpanel

floorpanel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 liberty deluxe

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

There are a lot of Casita owners buying Escape. There must be a reason for that.

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

Yes, there are a lot of Casita owners who are moving toward the Escape, but, for a lot of them, it's not because they want to, it's because they need more room and Casita doesn't offer a 19' or a 21'.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#7 Dos Para Casita

Dos Para Casita
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yes, there are a lot of Casita owners who are moving toward the Escape, but, for a lot of them, it's not because they want to, it's because they need more room and Casita doesn't offer a 19' or a 21'.

Eileen

Very good point, this is a fine group and I appreciate all of the input. My ideal choice would be an Escape 19,' recently we got a tour of one at a Rally here in California. None of these RVs are perfect, meaning they lack some features you'd want or they cost a ton. I've read that people with Class A's and B's now have Casita's and are very happy indeed. Recently I've concluded that if I do get a Casita 17 I'll replace my Odyssey with a Ford Explorer (rated to two 5,000 pounds). I can definitely see the point that people go to 19' or 21' because they want more room. Having gone to a rally and visited inside of about six different 17' Casitas, they are kind of small. My wife and I argue plenty in a 1700 Sq. ft. house so it'll just be that much easier to do it in a 91 Sq. Ft. trailer (LOL). As for floor plan I think the SD with the bed going across the width of the trailer, rather than lengthwise utilizes space better than the Freedom or Liberty deludes. The SD comes with a dinette too that can be used as a bed for one more person (perhaps a grandchild).

Edited by Dos Para Casita, 24 November 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#8 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 AM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

From a different point of view, towards the shorter and lighter side of the RV models, I visited the Escape website and compared their 15' (15' 10") with my Casita 16' and decided that I prefer the layout of my Spirit Deluxe over the Escape. Its hard to replace the side dinette/single bed combo. Since I should be passing near the factory next September I am putting it on the list of places to visit. The Escape 15' (2" shorter than my 16') is slightly lighter in weight but the Casita weight is not a problem for me now. They will likely have a pot of fresh coffee in their showroom and that would be nice.

Edited by highwayfl, 24 November 2013 - 11:41 PM.

'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!