7 replies to this topic

#1 SkyJean

SkyJean
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Im just curious why people choose the 13 ft . Is it that much easier to tow than 16ft or 17ft? I cant get a Casita until I retire but looking towards 13ft now...at one time I thought larger
Jean --l--
*---0--(__)--0---*

#2 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I've had the 16' and now the 13'........ they are almost identical (almost) in weight and both have a fairly light tongue weight of about 260 lbs on the bath/shower models. I could easily pull a 17' with my tow vehicle but personally just like the lightweight of either the 13' or 16'
The reason i have the 13' is that it fits in my garage better. I do miss the side dinette of the 16' and if i had a deeper garage i would prefer the 16' model. I'm only 5'8" tall but if i was over 6' i would prefer the 17' model which is about 1,000 lbs heavier.
The 13' tows really easy and fills my needs just fine
Joe
  • Babs&Chris likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#3 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 10:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

A really good way to get a "real life" idea of the Casitas, various sizes & floor plans is to go to a rally. Find one or 2 near you and try to drop in for a day or so. For some folks the size trailer they get is ruled by their tow vehicle or pocketbook or a combo of both. Others start small and move up in size as they can. My truck easily handles my 17 SD, and I can't imagine any other combo for myself. With the right tow vehicle the size of the trailer doesn't matter, with the wrong TV you can be asking for trouble.
  • MMoe, SKYTALKER, NASA42 B and 1 other like this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

Im just curious why people choose the 13 ft

well...they're just so darned cute! that and they take up so much less space in the wal marts.

p@
  • latte, highwayfl, MMoe and 2 others like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#5 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

We got our 13' Casita in 2006 (used) and have never regretted it for a moment. We've been around the US 2.5 times and across Canada as well, pulling it with a Toyota Highlander (4 cylinders). A little slow on the uphills, but great otherwise and can barely feel it back there. After having had a camper van for a few years, the trailer feels so much larger and roomier. We're not tall people so it works fine for us. We've made several changes to the interior over the years, the best of which was to change the front bunk to a small dinette thereby never needing to undo the bed into an eating area. Our Casita (a '98) was old enough to have come with an ice box and no ceiling vent either. We added a 3-way refrigerator and a ceiling fan vent. Also added an awning. Now it's like the Ritz!!!!!!

Our reason buying the 13' Patriot was because we didn't want to have to buy a big vehicle to tow it. We made the right decision.
Louise

• SKYTALKER and Babs&Chris like this
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#6 Brad P

Brad P
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot/13
  • Interests:Camping,surf fishing,wood work

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

We got our 13' Casita in 2006 (used) and have never regretted it for a moment. We've been around the US 2.5 times and across Canada as well, pulling it with a Toyota Highlander (4 cylinders). A little slow on the uphills, but great otherwise and can barely feel it back there. After having had a camper van for a few years, the trailer feels so much larger and roomier. We're not tall people so it works fine for us. We've made several changes to the interior over the years, the best of which was to change the front bunk to a small dinette thereby never needing to undo the bed into an eating area. Our Casita (a '98) was old enough to have come with an ice box and no ceiling vent either. We added a 3-way refrigerator and a ceiling fan vent. Also added an awning. Now it's like the Ritz!!!!!!

Our reason buying the 13' Patriot was because we didn't want to have to buy a big vehicle to tow it. We made the right decision.
Louise

Louise I like the idea fo the small dinette can you post a picture of that. thanks

#7 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

I love my 2000 13 footer, it has everything ,I love camping, Bought it because my van is comfortable, I just wanted to be able to stand up to cook,& other things. I still tow it some, which  allows me to carry more (Stuff) & possible stay longer.

right now Cassie is up in my Grassed field with power on, yet I'm down in the house. wishing I was up there. but internet only in the house.

& snow coming tonight or in the morning in wonderful southern Va.

reason #2 to be in the house.

sparky1.

#8 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 510 posts
  • Local time: 09:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

SkyJean.....

Each person or couple tend to become most comfortable with what works best for the type of rving they're doing or going to do.   Over 43 years of rving, we've had everything from popups, to U-Haul, to Hi-Lows & more. Sharon & I now savor being on the road for several weeks (minimum) at a time, and keeping things as simple as possible.  whether a 13' Casita or a 17' SD, one doesn't need a big tow vehicle (altho ours is a paid-for leftover from a prior stickbuilt).  A Toyota Tacoma V6 with a tow package is rated for over 10,000 lbs., for example.

As a couple, we now find the 17' "luxurious"  in terms of space compared to the 13' -equivalent U-Haul we once enjoyed.  But then, we enjoyed the heck out of the small unit.  Another time, another type of preferred rving.

Enjoy!

Frank

• MarkyV likes this