• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 16' Casita LD
  • Interests:anything outdoors-camping,fishing,kayaking/boating,hiking,hunting,casual cycling,...forests,rivers,lakes,coast,etc

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Have begun a list of problems that I have noticed and wonder where to start attacking
Ive accomplished somethings like figuring out how frig, water heater are started and how to loosen the 'frozen' stuck sewer drain spout.
The bigger issues I think are:

the electric brake wires were cut about 3 in from the back of each brake (I don't see a brake switch anywhere on the trailer frame)
the floor in the center of trailer between frig and stove seem to flex more than other areas
the fantastic fan is not working
the stove vent fan is not working
the outside plastic cover for the stove vent seems withered or melted at it's innermost surface (and to replace it means drilling rivets)
there must have been a leak because windows and plastic cover over fantastic fan are heavily (and sloppily caulked with clear silicon)

Ive ordered CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE

Edited by outdoorman, 09 November 2013 - 05:18 PM.

• cmac likes this

#2 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:anything outdoors-camping,fishing,kayaking/boating,hiking,hunting,casual cycling,...forests,rivers,lakes,coast,etc

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

in the mean time, I'm not sure when the water heater was last drained (Camping World where II bought it didnt give any history about it's owner or maintenance). The compartment floor has lots of surface rust and the anode is pretty rusty so I sprayed it with PB Blaster.

Now that Ive seen it on youtube, I realize what I thought was a badly rusted drain plug is actually the anode rod.

Edited by outdoorman, 09 November 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#3 cmac

cmac
  • Casita Club Member
  • 270 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1994 16' Freedom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Breathe, you'll just do fine. You will get a lot of information when you receive your A-Z Owner's Guide.
Good luck. The good news, everything you do will be done correctly and you won't have to worry.
  • ArizonaEileen likes this
Cindi & Rick
2013 Ford F-150 w/eco-boost "The Silver Bullet"
1994 16' Freedom Deluxe
The Mac Shack

#4 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Congratulations and good luck with your project. I "restored" or refurbished a 1996 16' LD over the course of 2 years. For your brakes, I'd suggest buying complete assemblies from etrailer or www.easternmarine.com. New bearings and races are not a bad idea and straight forward replacements

My floor is flexy too, and with no clear evidence of water damage there, others have suggested that the floor is simply not heavily supported there. I live with the flex.

Rivet work is also straight forward....drill out and replace.

My advice is get the rig road worthy first (brakes, tires & bearings) and work the other issues at your leisure.....after some camping in your rig.

Bon voyage!

Attached Thumbnails

• Lefty & Casita.jpg

• highwayfl, SKYTALKER and cmac like this

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Outdoorman --

It would be helpful if you would add the year and model of your Casita, as well as your location, to your profile in the sidebar. There may be some knowledgable Casita owners in your area who'd be willing to help you troubleshoot.

The A-Z Casita Owner's Guide will help you to better understand the operating systems in your Casita. Thanks for ordering!

Sounds like you have quite the project on your hands!

Eileen
  • cmac likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#6 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Eileen,

My water heater anode looks rusty, also the surrounding lower sheet metal (hope this doesnt mean trouble with the tank), I want to know if the Aqua Pro 69717 9 1/2" Long Lead Free... anode will replace mine? I see other posts talking about the 9" suburban probe used on Casitas.

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Nice job on the sidebar info! ;)

Take the guesswork out of ordering by getting the anode from www.LittleHouseCustoms.com/store.

Larry & Debbie Gamble know exactly what to send you. Plus, you'll be supporting our own community of Casita owners.

Eileen
  • SKYTALKER, cmac and Hempsteadjb like this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#8 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Received and went through the: The A-Z Casita Owner's Guide this evening. Thanks.
  • ArizonaEileen likes this

#9 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations and good luck with your project. I "restored" or refurbished a 1996 16' LD over the course of 2 years. For your brakes, I'd suggest buying complete assemblies from etrailer or www.easternmarine.com. New bearings and races are not a bad idea and straight forward replacements

My floor is flexy too, and with no clear evidence of water damage there, others have suggested that the floor is simply not heavily supported there. I live with the flex.

Rivet work is also straight forward....drill out and replace.

My advice is get the rig road worthy first (brakes, tires & bearings) and work the other issues at your leisure.....after some camping in your rig.

Bon voyage!

I hate to hijack some of the thread but I have to know: what is that tarp configuration on your Casita from the photo? That is worlds better than the awkward, unwieldy awning I have hanging on my 16" that I never use..

As for the 16' Casitas flex on the floor, particularly in front of the stove, well, I have decided that it is a tiny design flaw in the bracing underneath and I too live with it. I pulled up my carpet in anticipation of installing a faux wood vinyl floor and the floor was beautifully encased in fiberglass, top and bottom and completely intact; it just flexed some when I put my weight down upon it.

Edited by highwayfl, 21 November 2013 - 09:00 AM.

• Babs&Chris likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!