• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 suegilman

suegilman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Could some one tell me where the extra foot is in the 17' SD, as compared to the 16' SD; bed, bath, dinette?
Thank you

#2 Colorado Kathi

Colorado Kathi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

There is a big difference. I sold my 16 ft to get a 17 ft. You get a frig that is 3-4 times as big with a freezer in the 17 ft. . You get a full length closet because the a/c is on the roof which cools the Casita much better. You also get a screen door which you don't on the 16 ft. Those are the 3 reasons I switched. The bed is wider but that didn't matter to me. Of course it does weigh more for towing.
Colorado Kathi
2003 17' SD
1996 Chevy Silverado

#3 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

Benefits, advantages of 16’ Casita over 17’ model:

In my estimation the 16 footer is the ideal Casita. At the risk of offending, I think it vastly outranks and outperforms the 17 footer. By choosing it, you only loose a single foot to those 17 footers but you gain so much more:

1. The 16 footers are lighter, easier to tow, easier on the tow vehicle, save some gas, and are easier to maneuver on all those hookups and backups you will be doing.

2. The 16’ design requires much less tongue weight, perhaps 100 pounds less, so are much better suited for smaller vehicles. Your vehicle want squat down as much as when you place the 16 footers' 200-250 plus pounds down upon the tow ball as the 17 footers' 300-450 plus pounds. So, perhaps you will not have to change tow vehicles. I didn’t.

3. Using the wheel under the 16' tongue it is light enough that you can often nudge it over an inch or so with your leg to meet the ball on hookups, thereby saving a few trips back and forth from your vehicle while trying to mate the two. I doubt you could do that with the much heavier tongued 17 footer.

4. The 16 footers do not require the complicated weight distributing devices that most of those towing the 17 footers feel so compelled to use; a single sway bar is more than adequate with the lighter 16’ model.

5. Not being quite as tall, and with the AC in the front the 16’ can go under lower overhangs and can likely be stored inside your home's garage.

6. The lessor height translates into lessor wind frontage and maybe somewhat better gas mileage.

7. You get a neat, hull configuring, nicely sculptured door instead of a flat ugly one forced to fit the rounded shell, almost like an afterthought in the 17' design.

The list goes on....

What you lose is really quite little: You loose the aforementioned single foot in length, slightly less head room, a slight amount less of cabinet space, a screen door, a reefer with a freezer, a little hanging closet space.

Frankly, I'd much rather have and would pay more to purchase a 16 footer over the "bulbous, sun-blocking behemoth" 17 footer. But that's just my opinion. Since there are far more 17 footers sold than 16 footers, even though they pay much more for them, more buyers obviously tilt in that direction. But my question is, was their decision really the correct one, or have they mostly been duped into tilting that way...and into paying more…just because it’s 12” longer?

• cmac, MGD, 4helen and 1 other like this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#4 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sue A partial answer to your question about the extra foot....... I recall some else's response to the same question. That person said that eight inches of the foot is in the width of the bed. I don't recall where he said the other four inches were. I also find that my "return" button will no longer work on this site. Don in UT
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

The question is:
Where is the extra foot in a 17' (compared to a 16')?

Thanks, Don, for partly answering the question. I've actually wondered that myself but have never taken the measurements.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#6 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Sue, one of the best ways to decide what you want is to see and spend some time in the different models and sizes available. I have a 17' and wouldn't settle for anything smaller. It all comes down to what will meet your needs best after considering the pros and cons of each size. A 16' is not going to be any easier to back up than a 17'. The weight and fridge size are considerations certainly as is storage. The 17' has upper storage all the way around while the 16' has only 1 cabinet at the back. You can get an idea about that from photos on the casita website. I see you are in FL, we are having a get together at Ft. Pickens, off Pensacola, over new years and several of us will be at the Flamingo campground in the Everglades in January. You would be welcome to come and see the trailers.
  • 4helen likes this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#7 rsteiner

rsteiner
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking quiet lakes and rivers

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

All of the plusses highwayfl listed are about towing and not about using. I'm under 6' and would hit my head on the ceiling of the 16 footer. For two people out for a week, I really wouldn't want a smaller fridge, closet or bed. They are all small enough as it is. Maybe if I were always by myself the smaller model would be ok but otherwise, no way.
  • fella10 likes this

#8 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

All of the plusses highwayfl listed are about towing and not about using. I'm under 6' and would hit my head on the ceiling of the 16 footer. For two people out for a week, I really wouldn't want a smaller fridge, closet or bed. They are all small enough as it is. Maybe if I were always by myself the smaller model would be ok but otherwise, no way.

It would seem that yours is an opinion without having tried it, right?

I am taller than you, at 6', and seldom hit my head on my lower ceiling of the 16' Casita.. I believe I have learned to just tilt it down. Anyway, surprisingly enough, I have never even noticed the ceiling height as a detriment. And that is not an opinion, but based upon my own experience.

Not all the aforementioned pluses were about towing, either. But I have to agree with you about the lack of a freezer, and that might affect some folk who spend an inordinate amount of time actually "living" inside their Casita. I admit I have missed a freezer a few times, but not much. I have learned to live without it, I suppose. But I don't spend so much time actually "living" inside my Casita. Instead, It becomes a temporary address, so to speak, which houses all my stuff when I tow it someplace and park it while i am off and about on my trips while using it. When it's parked, I then spend most of my time "living" outside of it. For my purposes, being easier and cheaper to tow and maneuver far outweighs the other, quite tiny, inconveniences it has for being just a single foot shorter..
The closet does have the AC underneath it which does cuts off some closet height. But, Casita left me just enough room to hang up all my clothes inside it, with room to spare, and very few drag the bottom. There is still room underneath them to store a few items, like my scale that I use to keep track of both my weight and occasionally that of the Casita tongue..

The larger 17 footers do have two overhead cabinets over the foot and head of the bed that are missing in the 16 footer. For those that store more "stuff" than I, they would be an asset. But, I really don't completely fill the cabinets in my 16' now so i don't really miss them.

I confess that I am alone in my Casita and it is plenty large enough for me. But, were there two, and for long periods of time, then that would remain to be seen.....

Edited by highwayfl, 13 November 2013 - 03:53 AM.

'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#9 JakeN7JRA

JakeN7JRA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 176 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD-16 (former SD-17)
  • Interests:God & Country
  • Casita Club Directory #:2711

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Can any of you tell me the overall height of a SD16 with a high lift axle and 15" tires?

Jake & Judy Smart

(LUKIDUX)
SE Washington State
2014 SD 16 (No Decals)
2012 White Honda Pilot
jnjsmart@yahoo.com

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Around 7'10", give or take.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#11 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Another factor to consider is how you plan on using your Casita. I have actually been using mine to live in full-time, as a sort of mini-mobile home. For that purpose, all the little differences in the 17 are well worth the money. For weekend trips, the 16's lack of a freezer can be overcome by getting a decent ice chest and finding some dry ice before you get on the road. But living full-time without having a freezer would get old pretty quickly.

btw - If you have A/C power, you can get a little 1.5 CuFt freezer that will (I think) fit through the door of a 16 ft model:

http://www.casitaclu...3-mini-freezer/

Edited by dfield, 19 December 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#12 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

When I first became interested in buying a Casita I had talked with the folks at Casita Corp and came very close to pulling the trigger on a new 17'er. After thinking about it a little I thought I'd look around and see if I could save a few bucks by buying a used one. Almost as soon as I started to look I found a '96 16' SD available on the classifieds on this site. It was within easy driving distance and I felt it was reasonably priced. I was the first to call the owner as he had posted it for sale that very day. The owner sent me a bunch of photos and I was still very interested so I told him I would drive over the next day. I could find nothing wrong with it and he gave me a very thorough crash course in everything he felt I would need to know. He told me that he had two people offer him $1000 over his sale price if he would sell it to them. (It's nice to do business with ethical folks!) Soon after purchasing the trailer I had the original (welded in place) axle removed and replaced it with a new bolted in axle and 15" wheels and tires. I feel very fortunate that we bought the 16'er - for all the reasons that highwayfl mentioned above. If I were to want a new trailer I would still choose a 16'er. As everyone says, the small fridge is a slight drawback but my wife can get an amazing amount of grub in that little box. We use a cooler behind the seat in the truck for some things and that works well for us. The key is what dfield said, asking yourself what you intend to use it for. Except for a possible emergency, we never plan to live in one full time. We love to camp and can go for at least a week before having to re-supply but it would be nice to have the larger fridge. Actually if Casita found a way to put a larger fridge in a 16'er I would probably buy one. Don in Ut (Please pardon the lack of paragraphs but my "enter" button does not work right on this site.)
  • JakeN7JRA and cmac like this
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#13 JakeN7JRA

JakeN7JRA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 176 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD-16 (former SD-17)
  • Interests:God & Country
  • Casita Club Directory #:2711

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I suspect the truth is that you'll enjoy and love whichever Casita you get.

Jake & Judy Smart

(LUKIDUX)
SE Washington State
2014 SD 16 (No Decals)
2012 White Honda Pilot
jnjsmart@yahoo.com

#14 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Headroom is not an issue for Ann or me, with either the 16 or 17.

Storage is an issue at times.

The floor in the 17 is flat all the way to the back. The 16 is raised, I think. If so, there is extra storage under that table area, for our configuration.  And the extra overhead cabinets on the sides and extra space in the closet in the17.

For us, towing time is a lot less than camping time. Tow for 1-5 hours and camp for 2-5 days. Whatever minor differences in the towing characteristics of the 16 vs 17 mean little to us. Camping time is much more important. Towing our 17 SD with the V6 Honda Ridgeline is fine, even on 8 degree grades.
With 110 # of commercial bike rack and bikes on the back we have never had any type of sway issue. Probably because of the extra tongue weight of the 17. We don't use a WDH or sway bar.

If I were camping alone, it would likely be in a 13' Patriot. Wouldn't need  a 16 or 17 with  the extra weight and length. Unless the stays were for weeks instead of days.  

As it is, at times we feel the 17 to be a tad small. Two of us and 2 small pups.
Storage is barely adequate and we use the tug for some of our storage. We definitely enjoy the 4 cubic foot fridge with freezer

Screen door is great. The attractive flat door seals well.  

True that the AC being in the closet and the roof being  3"+  inches lower, the 16  is about  15 inches lower overall, and  will allow the 16 to go under things the 17 can't. (The roof air is about 12" of that additional 15" height)

However someone 6' tall will need to bend slightly due to the ceiling  being 5'10" with the 16. The 17 is 6'1" interior height.

FWIW Casita offered a 17 with the AC in the closet. So it was actually only about 3 inches taller than the 16. They stopped that offer  about year 2000. Apparently they didn't sell many of them.  Maybe folks wanted the extra closet space more than they were concerned with the 12" the roof AC added to the height.

However, A "Maxxair type fan cover is going the raise the external height almost as much as roof AC.  

If Casita built a model 6" wider for more isle space, and 6" longer for more Bathroom space, it would be in our wish bucket.

There is an extra 8" behind the partition in a 17. I'm thinking the other 4 may be split between the kitchen area and bath area.

Casita makes the 3 models for specific reasons. Mainly, different strokes for different folks.

If a good buy in a 16 had been available before we found ours, we would have bought it and been perfectly happy. :)

Just wondering: Does a 16 have an attached slide-in step? Or is a stool necessary in front of the door, as with scamps?

Thanks,

Kip

Edited by Kip K., 27 April 2014 - 07:34 AM.

In God we Trust!

#15 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:04 AM

Just wondering: Does a 16 have an attached slide-in step? Or is a stool necessary in front of the door, as with scamps?

well, 16's do not have the entrance step.  mine has the hi lift axle and 15" tires and i felt as if i needed a parachute instead of a stool.  fortunately little house customs has a lot of single steps left over from his 2 step conversion for the 17's.  so...you can solve the step problem and visit larry & debbie...a win win.

p@

oh yeah...you can put a screen door in/on a 16

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan