• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Casita 16'
  • Interests:Retired military, my husband loves hunting, fishing and kayaking. As for me, I love kayaking with my two small dogs, growing organic vegetables, camping and doing research. Looking forward to many travels!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Great place to camp!

Attached Files

#2 Tampa Rick

Tampa Rick
  • Casita Club Member
  • 133 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:00

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Great place to camp!

Headed to Sebastian Inlet second week December. Place will be packed. Lucky to find an opening online reservations. Only 2-3 hr drive away, so it should be an easy trek across the state.

#3 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:51 AM

While Sebastian Inlet campground is really not that impressive, it is surrounded by some outstanding fishing, whether from kayak on the flats (my preference) or from the shore (either the intracoastal or beach) or the jettys. If you are into surfing, the beach there is one of the best places for it on the east coast and, when conditions are right it even has two breaks, the further one out being the best. However, when surfing first came into vogue on the east coast in the early 60's, the place became known then as, "The shark pit".

Another very interesting place to visit while at Sebastian Inlet is close by-the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum". While there, be sure to visit it. Its a fascinating place displaying artifacts and treasure found along that area of the coastline from Sebastian Inlet to about Ft. Pierce, from the 11 treasure-laden Spanish that either sunk or were pushed aground by the Hurricane of 1715. Some say that was the very last real hurricane central Florida has experfienced, most subsequent ones being quite minor by comparison. When those 11 ships floundered, about 1,000 souls perished. A few survivors made their way back to Cuba and a massive salvage operation was then undertaken all along the coast but only about  half the gold, silver, and jewels were recovered. After every northeaster or  passing hurricane, treasure from those wrecks washes up upon the beach and is often found by treasure hunters. There is so much of it that this small area of Florida on the Atlantic side  is known as the "Treasure Coast". I have resolved for years to one day purchase an appropriate metal detector and walk along the beaches there after some of our winter storms and search myself for some of that treasure. One day.....when I get really old...

I hate to make this known but my favorite campground ever is only a couple of miles away from Sebastian Inlet, called Long Point County Campground, owned and operated by Brevard County. Go north from Sebastian on A1A towards Cocoa Beach and the entrance is on the left just up the road. The campground itself  is on a peninsula and most sites back up to the saltwater flats. You can keep your kayak beside your camper and drag it into the water each morning and late afternoon for some outstanding flats fishing for redfish, snook, sea trout and even some occasional tarpon. While camped there I have on numerous occasions fried up some outstanding fresh caught fish, hush puppies and washed it all down with copious amounts of very cold beer.

If you haven't guessed by now, I live  nearby!

• Tampa Rick likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#4 Tampa Rick

Tampa Rick
  • Casita Club Member
  • 133 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:00

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the tips and recommendations. Will bring the bike, fishing equip, and camera. Hope the weather holds up  - think it will.