• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 16' Casita LD
  • Interests:anything outdoors-camping,fishing,kayaking/boating,hiking,hunting,casual cycling,...forests,rivers,lakes,coast,etc

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just bought my Casita LD yesterday and drove it home from the camping dealership. They were not helpful at all and would not have a technician go over anything with me without a service charge.I bought it for $5400 out the door, was this a fair price?
Also, I notice a few things that I have questions about so tell me if this is the right section to ask how to questions.
Thanks

#2 cmac

cmac
  • Casita Club Member
  • 270 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1994 16' Freedom

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Oh my, maybe you should have spend the money (at least for a piece of mind)the inspection fee. To me the price sound great. We purchased our 1994 Freedom for 5 grand and I thought it was a fair price. May I suggest to purchase a CD that is offered, that I'll bet every member has, it is the:
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com
Good luck on the "Things" that are iffy.

Edited by cmac, 03 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

• fella10 likes this
Cindi & Rick
2013 Ford F-150 w/eco-boost "The Silver Bullet"
1994 16' Freedom Deluxe
The Mac Shack

#3 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

If your Casita would roll home on its own wheels behind your tow vehicle then no matter what parts you have to replace, you got a good deal. Agree with A-Z Casita Owners Guide. Very thorough and detailed, well illustrated and linked to additional on-line help. And then if you need a pro, Little House Customs.
  • teacher retired and fella10 like this

#4 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

RELAX. You likely did OK with your purchase. I bought a 1996 16' LD 3 years ago for a grand more....and knew it needed work. And I did the work....kinda needed a project at the time. Work thru the issues 1 at a time.....you need good brakes, water & electrical systems. There will be issues of upgrading, repair or maintenance, but a new rig would cost 3 times more. You have the skeleton for a great rig...just work on any issues.

Bon voyage!
  • teacher retired and Babs&Chris like this

#5 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:anything outdoors-camping,fishing,kayaking/boating,hiking,hunting,casual cycling,...forests,rivers,lakes,coast,etc

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, I will get the DVD you suggest. It rode well behind my 96 fullsize Bronco. Overall it seems in good condition but I did find things before purchasing that I knew would become fix-its. I would like to do as much as I can and will ask for advice along the way on things I havent encountered before ( most of the list).
I've been wanting a Casita for more than 10 yrs so went out on my birthday and bought this one.
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#6 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 577 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

Yes, ask away.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

It's difficult for me to know if you've already purchased the Guide since PayPal doesn't tell me if you're a member of this forum nor furnish me with your screen name, but here's where you can find the A-Z Casita Owner's Guide referenced above:

www.LoveMyCasita.com/Guide.html

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#8 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

first question is that I found my casita doesnt have a heater just has a AC. I plan to be using it next weekend with my son.
Any suggestions for a portable heat source for boon docking it where electricity is not available? What are others using?

#9 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 577 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have the factory furnace. But when I was tent camping, a Black Cat propane heater and one of those 1 lb propane bottles provided a lot of heat inside the tent.
Of course the use of such a heating source requires caution. I burned my forearm reaching for the adjustment control while laying in a sleeping bag. The thing does have some hot spots to the touch.
Also open a window or roof vent in order to get fresh air into the Casita.
And to be on the safe side, I would turn it off when going to sleep. You wouldn't want high levels of carbon dioxide buildup, or worse, carbon monoxide poisening.

Mark Watson

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

Another option is a catalytic heater. It also needs venting but a lot of Casita owners who don't have the factory furnace use one. A Mr. Buddy propane heater is another option.

Eileen

#11 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

Furnace-whether you need one or not depends on your camping "style".

If you hang around inside your Casita all day then perhaps consider getting one. But, dress warmly, spend most of your time outside, and you just might find one unnecessary. I don't have one in my 16' and never missed it. I have camped quite a few times in cold weather and even backed up in the snow. The Grand Canyon a couple years ago has no electric and I backed up there against a plowed snowbank and kept my cooler outside buried in the snow. In the mornings I turned on the burner to make my espresso and just the heat from the burner warmed up the inside considerably. Crack the top vent some and tap the exhaust fan a time or two and soon you will get so good at it you can beat the detector before it sounds. During the day I commenced to walk around and see as much as I could, returning only late in the afternoon. I'd make anothger coffee to take the chill off. Later I'd heat up my evening meal and further warm the Casita. For me, that works fine. I don't need a heater. If the cold bothered me, I suppose I'd head either south or lower in elevation. But the AC, now...I really like it in the heat of the summer...when I have electric.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

HighwayFL --

Outdoorman purchased a resale Casita without a furnace which is why he's looking for other options.

For safety reasons, using a burner for heat isn't recommended, although I know it does work.

Eileen

#13 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

HighwayFL --

Outdoorman purchased a resale Casita without a furnace which is why he's looking for other options.

For safety reasons, using a burner for heat isn't recommended, although I know it does work.

Eileen

Since I have no heater...and I really like my coffee in the morning and a small dinner in the evening, it was by accident that I discovered just how much one or two burners heat the Casita up while cooking. Its not like I turn one on and blissfully go to sleep at night. When aroused, my smoke & CO detector will wake the dead if it gets even the faintest sniff. It has become an art form to cook and judge just how much exhaust to use to keep that monster quiet and not arouse it, yet keep some heat inside in cold weather.!n hot weather I want to get all the heat out.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#14 outdoorman

outdoorman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Now that I've read about the portable propane heaters and don't feel safe about using it to keep the casita warm during winter nights while my son and I are sleeping.
Carbon monoxide poisioning is not something I want to chance. There is a detector on the cabinet outside of the microwave shelf and was wondering if it is CO or fire? Is this standard/original location on all Casitas?
Has anyone had experience with using a gas generator from outside the tt to power a small electric heater overnight while sleeping? Harbor Freight has a small 800 watt generator but not sure how noisy it would be in a campground. Your thoughts please.

Edited by outdoorman, 06 November 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#15 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

Outdoorman,
Three things come to mind. First, we bought a CO monitor and put it on the curb side. There is a round louvred attachment on the side of the microwave cabinet. I assume that was to help with a microwave to dissapate heat. The smoke detector in my Liberty is between the cabinets on the street side. With the propane heaters, crack the bathroom window a bit. The furnace is run off propane too. Thirdly, you might want to get sleeping bags good down to a temp you know you are unlikely to be camping in and crank up your propane heater in the morning. Fourthly, ( I have a propensity to become verbose), most campgrounds have a set time that you can run a generator and quiet time is after 10 pm. We are currently camping up through the Shenandoah and it got down to 29 one morning. But being from TX anything below 50 is chilly to us and we use our furnace. I just looked back through all the posts and I would agree with what Eileen has suggested. But HIGHLY recommend you get her DVD especially since you bought from a dealership. You will find so much information in its 255 pages. Go have fun! You don't say where you are planning on camping but we will be in western Maryland on the cold side of this front-camping. Sandy