• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Casita spirit
  • Interests:Retired military, my husband loves hunting, fishing and kayaking. As for me, I love kayaking with my two small dogs, growing organic vegetables, camping and doing research. Looking forward to many travels!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

We bought our used Casita about 3 weeks ago for our trip to the FL Keys. We've had surprises(had to get new fridge, new power supply..) and yesterday on the first day of our vacation, another one! We have a weird looking lock on the door and it broke. We are away from home and have a lock problem! It is Saturday morning very early and we are waiting for an RV parts place to open to try to find a solution.So far not happy with the Casita experience, I hope things will get better as right now I just want to get back home...! I forgot to mention that tools are at home!

Attached Thumbnails

• lock.jpg

#2 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Retired military, my husband loves hunting, fishing and kayaking. As for me, I love kayaking with my two small dogs, growing organic vegetables, camping and doing research. Looking forward to many travels!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

On the outside it is a handle that comes down. No brand, no number on it.

#3 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

From your pic of the lock, it appears your Casita is a 16 footer, like mine. We have the same lock. From your photo you have a pair of vise grips affixed to the inside portion of your lock where I have a handle to open the door from the inside. Is this what you mean by your lock breaking? Does the outside lever still work?
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#4 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

yes. the handle broke and Jason put the plyers overnight so we could get out...Do you know what brand that lock is?

#5 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

The lock itself is just not working...hard to close the door too. Going to RV place as soon as they open to see if there is any lock we could adjust.

#6 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

Here is the outside part.

Attached Thumbnails

• front door.jpg

#7 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

Yep, you have a 16 footer. I have the same lock, too. If no success at RV dealer, consider locksmith? My outside handle droops like yours appears in the photo when unlocked and seems loose. I have been considering changing it out before it breaks completely. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#8 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

We are in Ormond Beach and I went to 2 RV dealers. They had nothing. Went to Lowes and bought a drill, the special screwdrivers needed to undo the lock, Also a thing to lock on the inside, Bungee cords if needed...Will call Casita on Sunday morning. Jason drilled through the handle and put a pin. Let's hope it holds off until we have a replacement.

#9 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

The temporary patch. If you find a replacement, would you please let me know? There are to be something to replace it of better quality!!

Attached Thumbnails

• lock system.jpg

Edited by bassvivi, 02 November 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#10 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Ordered lock from Casita with overnight shipping. Should get it by 4 p.m. Thank you!!!

#11 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,902 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Sorry you've had problems with your Casita. Did you purchase it from a dealer or a private party?

Generally speaking, Casitas don't have a lot of issues, but you should expect that at eight years old, you're going to have some repairs.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums