• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Casita 16'
  • Interests:Retired military, my husband loves hunting, fishing and kayaking. As for me, I love kayaking with my two small dogs, growing organic vegetables, camping and doing research. Looking forward to many travels!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

After a lot of research, we have just bought a 2005 Casita 16' Spirit Deluxe. We bought it last Sunday and we have been working on it to get it ready for our first trip. We have an old Winnebago motorhome but the time has come to get something that will be low maintenance and easy to handle once we get it all ready.
Who are we? My husband of 28 years, Jason, is now a disabled /sick vet and we have come to the realization that we need to enjoy life while he still can. As for me, I taught foreign languages( French and Spanish) at the local high school for over 16 years and resigned to take care of him.
Since our kids are now grown, we have 3- four legged babies which include a toy poodle, a chihuahua/terrier and a dingo dog/Australian healer. They will travel with us and also go kayaking. That is right, I forgot about the kayaking part! We were introduced to kayaking through Irishwaterdogs and Wounded Warriors. It can be a very low impact activity and allows my husband to have fun while not hurting himself. He mostly fishes off his kayak and I am the nut who tries to get as much of a workout as possible! I use an app called "my track" which records my kayaking exploration.
We would love to meet more Casita people. Is anyone in the keys? We are shortly heading down that way for a couple weeks :) My husband loves to fish and would love to have a fishing buddy. :danc:

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to Both of you!

Eric B)
  • bassvivi likes this

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

Its hard to beat kayak fishing on the Florida flats. Where in Florida are you? It was left off your site info.
  • bassvivi likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#4 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Retired military, my husband loves hunting, fishing and kayaking. As for me, I love kayaking with my two small dogs, growing organic vegetables, camping and doing research. Looking forward to many travels!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Middleburg. We are an hour from Saint Augustine :)

#5 araden

araden
  • Casita Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Sailing, Hiking, Reading, canoeing, spending time with my bride.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

Welcome from another Floridian! We're down in Boca Raton, and just ordered a Liberty for mid-Feb delivery. As soon as we get it, we're headed for the Keys as well.
  • bassvivi likes this

- Al
SouthEast Florida
2014 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Spirit Deluxe - "Scrimsharker"

#6 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Awesome :) Maybe one day we'll camp in the same park!! We will be at Bahia HOnda and John Pennekamp in the keys. Will post to let you know how it is;)

#7 Les and Joan

Les and Joan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom deluxe 17

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Welcome. We just picked up our 17FD Oct.2,and "doodled" our way home from Rice. We plan to head to Key West the 29th. Neither my husband nor I would be a good fishing buddy, but we could chat. Lol
  • bassvivi likes this

#8 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Welcome from Gulf Breeze in the Panhandle. We bought our 2007 SD 17 in August and have had three wonderful trips. Florida State campgrounds are terrific and we also love NE Georgia for the cool mountains.
  • bassvivi likes this

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#9 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

:) We will be at Jonathan Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park first part of NOv, Then Bahia Honda. Maybe we can meet :) On the way down Tomaka State Park, Sebastian Inlet State Park, Jonathan Dickinson State Park, On the return Jonathan Dickinson, Sebastian Inlet and Wekiwa Springs above Orlando. I will take pictures:)

Working hard to get the Casita ready as we've had surprises... When one buys used, there are always surprises. I am working on the wax job outside. Turtle wax was not doing it as it left some green streaks. Just bought the 3M wax and cleaner and tried it last night. It works great!
Next, we've had to change out the fridge. The lady we bought from said it worked but she had put ice packs in it....I first tried to order from Appliance zone but the were out of stock, and then decided to add 200 dollars for shipping( total then over 800). Cancelled order and got it in from PPPLmotorhomes in TX. Great service, quick delivery all for 599.95 which is so much better. It is now installed and working. Removed the mini blinds as we have small dogs and replaced with curtains. Removed all lightbulbs indoors and replaced with LEDs that I got from Amazon. We are now removing all the floor carpet as vinyl tiles will be easier maintenance and will not collect dirt. Also added a 4" memory mattress topper to the bed. All this in one week!!! Everything is operational, just need to work on floor and wax :)

Edited by bassvivi, 24 October 2013 - 02:56 AM.

• Les and Joan likes this

#10 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

:danc:

Edited by bassvivi, 21 October 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#11 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Also need to make a kayak rack for the top of the truck as I cannot tow my kayak trailer :) BTW the 2 tiny dogs love to kayak. The bigger one not so much...

#12 Les and Joan

Les and Joan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom deluxe 17

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

You have really been working hard. It sounds like you are loving it. Florida State Parks are beautiful and I know you will enjoy your time there.
We are leaving here (Port Charlotte, fl) the 29th and heading to the naval base (Sigsby) in Key West for a week. (My husband is also retired military.) We will be returning home on the 5th. it is a one day trip for us.
It would be nice to meet you, I'm not sure it will happen this trip tho. The logical time would be on our way home, but once we get on the road we tend to just go.
  • bassvivi likes this

#13 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

It would be nice, Looking forward to meeting you :) Was your husband Navy? Mine was Army.

#14 sajack

sajack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 98 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Also need to make a kayak rack for the top of the truck as I cannot tow my kayak trailer :) BTW the 2 tiny dogs love to kayak. The bigger one not so much...

I have a Thule rack on my truck. It's a work of art, fully adjustable and can easily be moved from one truck to another.
As for kayaking with dogs, I'm in Louisiana and am afraid to kayak with our French Bulldog because of alligators. I wouldn't think Florida would be any better.
We too have an '05 SD.

#15 bassvivi

bassvivi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

I guess it depends on where you kayak. I have been with the dogs on Salt run in Saint Augustine. We've seen dolphins, no gators there except for me...lol I graduated from UF a long time ago :rofl2: :rofl2: The two small dogs are doing great, but my husband's was not happy the last time as we had waves and 15 mph wind. the girls.JPG the girls.JPG