#1 ChrisBurt

ChrisBurt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Mountain/road biking, photography

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

If a Curt 17002 weight distribution hitch is put on by Casita, do the propane tanks have to be removed to close the hook-up brackets? In this picture it would appear that is the case.

WDH bracket 003.JPG

#2 araden

araden
  • Casita Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Sailing, Hiking, Reading, canoeing, spending time with my bride.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Why the 17002? That's rated for 1,000 lb tongue weight. I thought the 17000 was the model to use. But then, a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know what they were.

- Al
SouthEast Florida
2014 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Spirit Deluxe - "Scrimsharker"

#3 ChrisBurt

ChrisBurt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Why the 17002? That's rated for 1,000 lb tongue weight. I thought the 17000 was the model to use. But then, a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know what they were.

1,000 lb tongue weight is more than I would ever need and the 17000 is only a 600 lb tongue weight.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/17000

Edited by ChrisBurt, 11 October 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

ChrisBurt

Are you able to get those light weight propane tanks filled. I read several months ago on one of the Casita forums and elsewhere those tanks had been recalled and you were not going to be able to get them filled anymore.

http://www.casitaclu...nks#entry174503

Sorry, I know you were asked about the WDH, thought I would say something about the tanks so you were not caught short next time you needed to fill them.

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 ChrisBurt

ChrisBurt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

ChrisBurt

Are you able to get those light weight propane tanks filled. I read several months ago on one of the Casita forums and elsewhere those tanks had been recalled and you were not going to be able to get them filled anymore.

http://www.casitaclu...nks#entry174503

Sorry, I know you were asked about the WDH, thought I would say something about the tanks so you were not caught short next time you needed to fill them.

Clover

I just grabbed that image of the interwebs for clairification, not my setup. Just trying to find out if someone that has the WDH setup from Casita if they have to remove the propane tanks to latch.

#6 Swisstrip02

Swisstrip02
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

My loaded 2003 17' Casita LD was weighed in 2008 at the Bandon Oregon gathering, and the combined axle weight was around 3,000# and the tongue weight was only 320#.... You don't need a 1,000# WDH.

If you haven't had yours installed yet, take it back and get a proper WDH suitable for that tongue weight. Mine has a single bar and you can go to the other Casita board, and search on the proper forum about both single bar and dual bar WDH's with instructions and simple modifications, complete with photos.

Good Luck,

Mike

#7 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

ChrisBurt
I bought the Curt 17330, a 600lb WDH with SHORT trunnion arms. I then made the following modifications.
The Curt shank is solid steel and very very heavy. I had a new one fabricated from 2" square tubing that is much lighter. Was also able to adjust the shank hitch pin hole location so that the tailgate just clears the tongue jack.
I had the snap-up brackets cut and re-welded to fit the Casita frame.
The propane tank rack was remade to hold only one tank centered within the frame. The tank is tilted forward slightly to clear the front of the trailer. The bars can be snapped up without touching the propane tank.
The trailer is now in storage or would have pictures here.
The SHORT trunnion bars are about 28.5".

Neal
  • ChrisBurt likes this
Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#8 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

ChrisBurt,...... from my experience at the Casita factory, I would say, no you won't have to remove the tanks, .........., if you go there with your own WDH they will do whatever is necessary to make it fit,.........

I also have a 1000# WHD (from Camco), because when I bought it from Amazon it was on sale less than the 600# and I knew nothing about WDH,..........after receiving several very honest opinions about how I had made a big mistake, I called Camco and talked to both of their WDH engineers about what I had, both trailer and hitch,.........

their reply was "no problem, its all about the adjustment", a lighter model CAN'T be adjusted for more weight, but a heavier model CAN be adjusted for less weight,..........one told me that many dealers who install their WDH's only carry the 1000# model so they have less inventory to deal with, he said "sure we wish they would carry our whole line of WDH's, but many don't to keep their inventory down",........

I would suggest you check behind the Casita installer, whoever installed ours committed a real "no no", he completely tightened solid the first link of chain against both bars, causing them to be solid stiff and not moveable, what little I did know about WDH's, I knew that wasn't right and loosened both sides just enough so that all the chain links can flex,..........

Edited by fella10, 12 October 2013 - 03:58 AM.

• ChrisBurt likes this