12 replies to this topic

#1 elaine and ray in ohio

elaine and ray in ohio
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:in the market

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

We are looking for a used 17'Liberty deluxe as we are tall and think that the sleeping options will be better for us. Have seen a few modifications with twin beds. Has anyone made the "V" bed option with table in middle.? Also have anyone made it into a queen bed? Would love an option that we could leave the table set up or easy to put up. Any ideas to share? Thanks for your help

#2 Turkey Flats

Turkey Flats
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 09:43 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Greetings from Texas...we are the happy owners of a Liberty Deluxe and have tried the different sleeping options offered by the Liberty. Our favorite has been the twin bed option. We extended the width of one of the benches to 30". That still provides sufficient aisle space. What we did differently from most is to create a permanent bench/bed across the back of the Casita. We inserted a support to create another 30" bench/bed across the back. This gives us 3 beds to sleep on or 3 benches to sit on at all times without any setting up/taking down. We store our table top and support post until needed to eat or use as a computer table. Easy to set up and take down. When down, the Casita seems spacious with easy access to all upper cabinets and plenty of sitting space. We use sleeping bags on the beds which can be left in place or easily rolled up when having a party at our place. The extra bench across the back offers some much needed under bed storage. We enjoy this arrangement very much.
  • CHUCK & JEAN, GarlandGuy, Gourdamental and 2 others like this
Roque & Yolanda
Texas Hill Country
06 Tundra
09 17' LD "eggPod"

#3 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Elaine and Ray,
We have slept both as twins and as a queen. Like the queen set up better for us. We set up and take down the bed daily as it gives us more seating arrangements. I just had hip surgery and seating positions have taken on a more important situation and I don't like wrinkles in a bed that has been slept on during the day. Only takes 5 min to fix the bed back to a neat trailer with comfortable seating. Hope this helps. Also have friends who use the twin configuration nightly with sleeping bags and just roll them up in the morning. Sandy
Now that is funny! We were all typing at the same time! Glad you chimed in with your mod. Good camping to the two of you, R &Y!!!! Sandy

Edited by teacher retired, 25 September 2013 - 10:59 AM.

• jkrogman likes this

#4 Madalyn

Madalyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Liberty Deluxe/17

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Turkey Flats...I have a new to us LD and would love to see a pic of your set up as three benches, what did you use to make the support to create 30" area and did you make cushions from foam or something for the back bench?
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#5 Turkey Flats

Turkey Flats
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 09:43 PM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi Madalyn,
I'm so sorry that I do not have any pics of our interior mods. But I am going to direct you to a post where you can see some pics of a mod that inspired me to make my changes. First, let me explain what we did. We removed all Casita cushions and put them in storage at home. We used some thin plywood to make what I call the platforms for the beds. The one across the back measures 30" x 75. One twin is 30" x 50". The other is 24" x 50". All rest directly on the fiberglass benches so they are at the same level. When in place they create a U shaped area. We then purchased a 6" Spa sensations mattress from Walmart and cut to fit the platforms. Then we simply wrapped our mattress and platform with a piece of fabric large enough to cover entire size and stapled to back of plywood platform. We chose 6" because didn't want to be too high off floor when sitting. What we don't have are backrest cushions. Use a couple of throw pillows that serve as backrests, pillows when napping, or just decor ( they don't take much space). Please look at posts by member Sunny_One on the other Casita Forum. Find her thread titled 'Spirit Mods twin beds'. My back bench looks exactly like hers except for a different fabric. She was a great inspiration with her beautiful mods. Let me know what you think.

Yolanda
  • Madalyn and CHUCK & JEAN like this
Roque & Yolanda
Texas Hill Country
06 Tundra
09 17' LD "eggPod"

#6 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 390 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

Madalyn,
Here's a link w/pic. of Sunny_One's Spirit Bed Mod: http://www.casitaclu...up/#entry164434
Several of us Spirit D. Owners have done this mod, but I think Sunny One could win a fancy mod award. (-:
Her decor makes my casita look like a shack.

Since you have a liberty, I'm adding this link w/pic of Bob in Redding's U shaped Liberty mod: http://www.casitaclu..._15#entry174946

Another Liberty link to Carol's U shaped Mod: http://www.casitaclu...on/#entry157950

Edited by The Goose Egg, 26 September 2013 - 04:58 AM.

• Turkey Flats and Madalyn like this
Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#7 elaine and ray in ohio

elaine and ray in ohio
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:in the market

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

thanks for comments and pics. I just realized that there is a new model Independence that may be our best option if we order new. Any new owners out there want to comment on the new model.

Elaine

#8 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

If you do a search for the independence model there is already several threads on the Independence. Both the layout and bathroom have had several comments starting back last March/ April. Including pics. Sandy

#9 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

Greetings all. We are using our 2007 SD17 for more extended trips and would enjoy a longer sleeping space. If we were to buy the Liberty 17 deluxe how long would the bed be in Queen configuration? Also are the twins wide enough if you use the twin bed setup?

Writing from Tallulah Falls GA. Wonderful here.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#10 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Trumpetguy,
The bed in Queen bed configuration is the same length as your SD. The trailer is the same width. The twin bed is the same width as if you made your dinette into a bed- 24 inches x 80 inches. That is where your extra length comes in for both the twin and King configuration. The queen in the liberty is wider than the SD from the rear window to toward the galley. In the king it would be 80 inches long with your pillow by the rear window and feet by the galley.
You asked if the twins are wide enough. They are for me. Have spent many a nap on the twin. I just put the back rest on the floor and snooze. Make up your dinette and see if it is wide enough /comfortable enough for you.the length will be too short but it will give you an idea of width. Also, several have added width with add ons to the twin. Do a search as I know they added pics so you can see how they did it. Sandy

Edited by teacher retired, 13 October 2013 - 07:23 PM.

• Hargrl likes this

#11 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sorry, I read back through the previous posts in this thread Trumpetguy. Turkey Flats and the Goose Egg have done the search for you on the twin widening. I have seen Turkey Flats work. It is nice and as she said it works for them. Sandy

#12 Hargrl

Hargrl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 03:43 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Thinking seriously on the liberty deluxe. How is it with leaving the double bed down and dinette up? I like the idea of being able to change up the arrangements. We like to play guitars too. It appears the liberty may have a little more elbow room than the spirit. Trying to decide between the two. Does anyone have any pics with double bed and dinette set up or any pros cons on why you chose the liberty? Thanks !!!

#13 Retired in Reno

Retired in Reno
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 08:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

We've now made three trips in our new to us this summer 17'LD, and have found that the configuration that fits us best is sleeping with our heads to the back and feet towards the front on a queen 4" foam mattress topper with a king quilt with a duvet cover under us and two twin quilts covered by duvets for covering the top. It makes it extremely luxurious, something I didn't expect to enjoy so much when I imagined the sleeping accommodations originally.

The first couple of trips out we rolled the topper, quilts and duvets up as a bolster against the back, then set up the little table for a small dinette area but maybe we are getting lazy because on this last trip (spent 5 days in Quincy at the N. Ca. Fiberglass RV gathering) we left the bed out the whole time, switching to lay side to side in the evening to watch a movie. Instead of a table inside, we use the sink cover as a table to enjoy a small breakfast in bed and it works fine. Most of the time we spend outside, but when inside it's more a portable bedroom with an attached kitchen and bath and I don't miss the dinette at all. Nice to know it is there if needed, but I think it will be rare to set it up.