Hitch ball

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 03:22 AM
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

I am preparing my Saturn Outlook XR for the day I locate and purchase that perfect Casita. Soon I hope. I have added the brake controller. made easy because my Saturn is pre-wired. My Saturn has a class 3 draw bar hitch. Please tell me what size hitch ball I will need for the Casita. I would assume 2".

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#2 SKYTALKER

SKYTALKER
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Local time: 04:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 2008 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio, camping, fishing, sightseeing

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

You are right! 2 inch ball. You should also consider a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar.

Edited by SKYTALKER, 24 July 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Maynard and Jacquie
ARS: KJ4P
2008 Spirit Deluxe 17'
2009 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner V6

Take only Pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

#3 txchessman

txchessman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Casual kayaking, chess, hiking

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hitch Heights:
17ft 365 lbs on hitch should be 20" from ground to top of ball.
17 ft 365 lbs on hitch with high lift suspension pkg should be 22" from ground to top of ball.

13 and 16 250 on hitch should be 18 / 20" from ground to top of ball. Will need trailer on hitch with a two inch ball is the best way to adjust the ball height. You can buy balls that have a base that's 2" thick to help get a higher rise. My F150 needed this extra for the high suspension.

Seven pin connector is needed. Turn and stop on LH #5 RH#6 Brake #2 Taillight #3 12v #4 Ground #1

• the saints likes this

#4 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the advice. I may have located the Casita I want and will travel to LA this week to take a look. A FD. I wanted the SD but there are none for sale close by. Do more come up for sale in the Winter?

New question. Do I need a WDH. My vehicle is a 2007 Saturn Outlook X-R with factory towing package. Class three hitch, 4500 stated tow capacity, pre wired with seven wire plug. The Saturn weighs 5000 lbs. and has a six cyl engine with 295 HP' six speed electronic tranny. I used to tow a 25' 4'000 lb.
Edgewater fishing boat with only surge brakes and had no issues, but the tongue weight was only 250lbs. My concern is the front wheel drive. Will the tongue weight lift the front end enough to effect traction, turning, and braking. At less than $300 the WDH seems a good thing to have.

Comments and experiences appreciated.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#5 sajack

sajack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 98 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I have a dumb question about hitch balls. Do they wear out? My 1" shank, 5000 lb. rated hitch ball is rusty on the edge nearest the tow vehicle. I suppose that is where the greatest pressure is when towing. Should I leave well enough alone, rotate it 180 degrees, or replace it? I assume it came with my 2005 Casita.

#6 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

trumpetguy, on 04 Aug 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:trumpetguy, on 04 Aug 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:trumpetguy, on 04 Aug 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I may have located the Casita I want and will travel to LA this week to take a look. A FD. I wanted the SD but there are none for sale close by. Do more come up for sale in the Winter?

New question. Do I need a WDH. My vehicle is a 2007 Saturn Outlook X-R with factory towing package. Class three hitch, 4500 stated tow capacity, pre wired with seven wire plug. The Saturn weighs 5000 lbs. and has a six cyl engine with 295 HP' six speed electronic tranny. I used to tow a 25' 4'000 lb.
Edgewater fishing boat with only surge brakes and had no issues, but the tongue weight was only 250lbs. My concern is the front wheel drive. Will the tongue weight lift the front end enough to effect traction, turning, and braking. At less than $300 the WDH seems a good thing to have.

Comments and experiences appreciated.

I currently have zero experience with a Casita and zero experience with a Saturn suv but many years of experience towing many trailer brands. In my opinion, you should use a wd hitch. It will probably be okay to go and buy the trailer and tow it home without. Ultimately you are responsible for your own safety and will have to decide. The trip without a wd hitch will provide an opportunity for you to determine how it feels.

With close to 400 lbs. suspended on the ball several feet behind the fulcrum point, which is the rear axle, you will probably experience some weight shift from the front (drive) wheels to the rear. This will reduce front wheel traction which is critical for propulsion, steering, and stopping.

Dynamic forces resulting from travel over uneven pavement, dips, etc. will amplify the weight shift causing "bounding" over the dips in some cases.  If you drive over a steep dip the rebound could possibly create an unsafe handling situation if the Saturn's suspension is soft.

Edited by HBarlow, 27 March 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#7 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

I have a dumb question about hitch balls. Do they wear out? My 1" shank, 5000 lb. rated hitch ball is rusty on the edge nearest the tow vehicle. I suppose that is where the greatest pressure is when towing. Should I leave well enough alone, rotate it 180 degrees, or replace it? I assume it came with my 2005 Casita.

No, hitch balls don't normally wear out and a little rust won't render it unsafe or unusable.  If it bothers you use a piece of emery cloth or sand paper to polish the rust off and wipe the ball with a light coating of grease.

• SKYTALKER likes this

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

You need a 2" ball with a 1" shank.

Eileen