#1 outthere

outthere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 92 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD17
  • Casita Club Directory #:1178

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

Just finished a 3300 mi trip and found that the curbside tire had worn much faster than the driver's side. The tire shop checked for loose bearings and found everything to be ok. The tires were purchased at the same time and balanced. The only thing I can figure is that the curbside is heavier due to kitchen equipment, fresh water, etc. Any ideas?
2002 FD17
Redding CA

#2 Rick T.

Rick T.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 LD
  • Interests:My wife Myhra, Stand Up Paddle Board Surfing & Recumbent Trikes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Weight distribution is probably a good bet. Apparently Casita does not balance new wheels coming out of the factory. I haven't noticed any vibration or wear but, is it the general consensus that new rigs be balanced? Seems like a cheap corner to cut.

#3 outthere

outthere
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 92 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD17
  • Casita Club Directory #:1178

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Casita did not balance wheels when we bought our rig in 2002. When I found that out I had them balanced and made sure they were when the tires were replaced. The extra wear on the curbside tire has me baffled.
I seem to recall someone who weighed their trailer with just one wheel at a time on the scale....but I don't remember what sort of weight difference there was from side to side.
2002 FD17
Redding CA

#4 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Tire balance won't improve wear, though it may prevent cupping. I advocate balancing, however.

Weight (10-15% difference) shouldn't make much difference. I have at least 10,000mi on my Kuhmo Casita tires, and I can see no wear on either side.

Tire pressure can cause wear, but if your pressures too low, usually the edges will wear more than the center as opposed to the whole tire wearing fast.

#5 watraveler

watraveler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 309 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Sprit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vintage postcard collecting, antiques, fly fishing, camping, photography.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Did you run up against a curb or hit a pothole? Possibly a bent axle or hub on the right side? I say this, because I have gone up over a curb (slowly) and hit a pothole once each and both times were with the curb side tire. Fortunately, we experienced no damage, but the possibility exixts.

#6 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 708 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Now that I think about it, I've have 2 tires fail, both times on the right side. I think you are right about the right side being heavier, that is where the water tank is, the furnace, fridge and where we store all the food plus the closet. I guess tire rotation is a good idea on the Casita too and always balance them. I've put 7000 miles on since I bought new tires, think I will rotate before the next trip. Good luck, Ted

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#7 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 500 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

In Nov 2011 we picked up new Casita in Rice. From there we drove to Matagorda then home to central Texas. I had the tires balanced to our local tire dealer and discovered that one of the wheels was out of round, After verification by a Goodyear dealer, I was able to take the bad wheel and tire back to Rice for an exchange. BALANCE your tires!!

#8 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 384 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

When we bought our Casita we went into Corsicana to have the wheels balanced. Casita told us it wasn't necessary and even the tire store told us that there was no need to balance the tires, but my husband still insisted on having it done. They were able to balance the two wheels that were on the axle, but the mechanic at the tire shop told us that he could not balance the spare tire because the rim was warped. We drove back to Casita and swapped it out and then had the new one balanced. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the post here about tire wear because you would have found out if the rim was warped when you had them balanced, but I am wondering how many Casita owners out there who have never had their tires balanced are driving around on warped rims and don't know it.
  • tedinkc likes this

#9 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

This may be merely a fantasy of mine but I count good proportional lateral balance as one of the several advantages to owning a LD as opposed to a SD. Though I don't know this for a fact I suspect the stove, sink, electrical equipment, water heater, and battery being on the street side may tend to balance out the closet, refrigerator and water tank on the curbside, though our water tank mostly remains empty when we drive. Our tires are worn evenly.

#10 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 335 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

I know from experience that low air pressure in a tire caused our first 16ft. casita tires to wear prematurely.
Something else to consider, We were told the crown of the road shifts more weight to the curb side tire. Anybody know if this would cause more curb side tire failures on trailers?
We have brought both our first Casita and the one we have now in to balance the tires while on the casitas.
We were told one of the rims was warped and that it is common. The place that we took it to said: "cheap steel rims are often warped".
Our current Maxxis tires are wearing evenly.

Edited by The Goose Egg, 11 July 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos