• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

I am curious as to how users are maintaining their black water tank. I see lots of campers bypass the campground dump station upon checkout and can't imagine they are storing their trailers with black water until the next time they go camping. I was under the impression that you should dump your black water upon checkout. Also, I was reading in another forum that people store their trailers with chemical treatment in their black water tank. I always treat my tanks upon set up when camping but now am questioning whether I have my process in reverse. Please hook a brother up with some good advice... Thanks!

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

If your black tank isn't full and you're heading out to camp elsewhere, then you don't HAVE to empty your tanks if you don't need to. In fact, the tanks actually empty more efficiently when they're fuller.

Once you've emptied the black tank — whether you're still on the road or putting your Casita into storage — you should add 2-3 gallons of fresh water and along with your choice of treatment. I use the drop-in tablets, others use the liquid, still others use the G.E.O. method (a mix of Calgon and laundry powder).

Eileen
  • tedinkc and SKYTALKER like this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#3 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

HT,

like you, I always clean our black(actually both) tank before leaving and then put three gallons of water in the black tank with a good squirt of automatic dish washer gel, it is non sudsing and the sloshing action as we travel does a good job of further cleaning and I leave it in the tank until the next dumping, then do again..... just tested my newest mod for tank cleaning yesterday, installed quickie flush on both tanks a week ago,.... love this mod, allows me to flush/rinse/fill the tanks from outside, the small jets inside the tank will also give a blasting action to anything that might want to stick to the walls and not flow out,....can rinse/flush as many times as i want with out having to go back into the trailer,.....no dragging the water hose w/wand into the trailer or thru the window,.....timed yesterday and can measure the three gallons into the tank by time (1min. 15 sec.),.....everybody has their own way of cleaning the tanks, this is mine, I'm convinced the "quickie flush" and the "sewer solution" is a combination that can't be beat

Edited by fella10, 30 June 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#4 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,468 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Here is some information that came with a recent Happy Campers order.

Happy Camper.jpg (click on it, it'll get larger)

Perhaps the first sentence answers why some people aren't dumping when they leave a campground. Maybe they aren't headed home, but to another campground and their tank isn't more than half full.

Note: I don't believe Happy Campers' "Washers & Dryers" information applies to most Casita owners.

Harold

Edited by Us burros, 30 June 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#5 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Perhaps the first sentence answers why some people aren't dumping when they leave a campground. Maybe they aren't headed home, but to another campground.

Harold,..... that first sentence might be true if all a person does is open the valve, let it drain, close the valve and move on,.... but I would think an extra(maybe several) rinsing/flushing of some sort is part of everyone's cleaning process,.....thus, rinsing/flushing after the initial draining will always add additional cleaning no matter if the tank was drained at half full, completely full or just one gallon of poop full,.......so I say and practice, in a campground where I have plenty of water, no need to carry that poop around with us,....... we made it there, we leave it there,.......and I repeat from my previous post, the quickie flush is a great item for rinsing/flushing/filling/cleaning those dirty tanks

Edited by fella10, 30 June 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#6 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,468 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Perhaps the first sentence answers why some people aren't dumping when they leave a campground. Maybe they aren't headed home, but to another campground.

Harold,..... that first sentence might be true if all a person does is open the valve, let it drain, close the valve and move on,.... but I would think an extra(maybe several) rinsing/flushing of some sort is part of everyone's cleaning process,.....thus, rinsing/flushing after the initial draining will always add additional cleaning no matter if the tank was drained at half full, completely full or just one gallon of poop full,.......so I say and practice, in a campground where I have plenty of water, no need to carry that poop around with us,....... we made it there, we leave it there,.......and I repeat from my previous post, the quickie flush is a great item for rinsing/flushing/filling/cleaning those dirty tanks

To each their own.

Happy Campers goes on to explain the proper procedure, so I do not believe they are referring to "open, drain and move on" campers. They may also be reminding people that it is not a good idea to leave the black water valve open when in a full hook-up facility.

If I am trying to make good traveling time, I'll not be concerned about hauling one or two nights accumulation in the black holding tank. Taking the time and water resources to either fill the tank to more than half full or to use a flushing device before leaving each campground seems such a waste of time. I assume that's why they a called "holding tanks."

Finally, (and I mean finally) we camp in many spots, some for more than one night, that do not have dumping facilities. Therefore, when leaving, dumping using either the more than half full or the flushing device is not an option.

Harold
  • Peghenry likes this

#7 wilyoung

wilyoung
  • Casita Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Maybe our noses are not as sensitive as others, but we have never put anything but toilet paper and stuff we have eaten (post digestive residue) into our RV black water tanks and have had no problems - odor or otherwise. (Boat is another case. With a flexible rubberized "bladder" type holding tank treatment helps.)

As for dumping on leaving, if we know we are headed to a place we can dump we hang onto what's in there. The sloshing on the road helps agitate, break up, and liquify the contents of the black tank. This method has served us well over may years and through several RVs, both trailers and motor homes. KISS.
Wil and Joanna
2010 17' Casita SD "Wholaden"
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L 6 cyl

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black water, tank, toilet, chemical treatment