• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chillywilly

chillywilly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a million questions and there isn't a better place to ask them but on this site. Is there any wood that can rot in the floor of the Casita? when I go to buy one I don't want any surprises! I think the Scamps do right? let me know. Thanks ahead of time! Bill

#2 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:53 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i believe its a marine grade plywood thats encased underneath with a thin sheet of fiberglass and topside is resin coated. If you drill a hole in it from the topside and water spills in it it can fill up like a balloon...... the older casitas i don't believe where encased on the top side.
Heres a picture of the underside on my 2010 thirteen footer...... the larger ones are the same.
Scamp should also be wood but the bottom side is open and any wetness in the floor would dry out easier but then that is open to debate on which way is better
Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010110.JPG

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#3 chillywilly

chillywilly
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Joe. That's the way I thought it was and that's why I was leaning towards the Casita. Plus, seems like they have more clearance.

#4 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

The 13' and 16' have 5'10" clearance inside and sit about 7'5" outside height with the air conditioner under the closet instead of on the roof,14" tires and standard axle...... (I get my 13' with 15" tires and high lift axle at 7'10" height to top of crank up vent when closed.... so i can easily get it in my 8' garage door. will not go into a standard 7' garage door....... All Scamps are about as high as a 17'Casita
13' and 16' have a tongue weight of about 250 lbs and roughly 2,000 to 2300 total weight. 17'casita are about 430 on the tongue and close to 3500lb total. hope some of this helps in your decision.I sold my previous casita after about 6 years of use and missed it so much i just went and bought another
Joe
  • Babs&Chris likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#5 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong but i believe its a marine grade plywood thats encased underneath with a thin sheet of fiberglass and topside is resin coated. If you drill a hole in it from the topside and water spills in it it can fill up like a balloon...... the older casitas i don't believe where encased on the top side.
Heres a picture of the underside on my 2010 thirteen footer...... the larger ones are the same.
Scamp should also be wood but the bottom side is open and any wetness in the floor would dry out easier but then that is open to debate on which way is better
Joe

Joe sorry if this disappoints but the Casita floor is actually osb board and although it has a fiberglass coating on top it is not encased per say, we all tend to think we are safe from water but just the opposite is true. The glassed floor is layed down on top of the fiberglass floor but there are voids around the edgeswhere once water gets into the Casita it finds its way to the open edges and ends up between the fiberglass floor and the osb. There is no escape route for it to take and will sit under there and eventually disintegrate and turn to mush from the bottom up. Not to worry, though as the fiberglass is strong enough to hold a lot of weight and if the softness doesn't bother you just keep on camping. If it annoys you bad enough just replace the floor in the walkway with real plywood and paint top, bottom and edges with elastomeric paint, and your choice of top covering and be done with it. The casita won't self destruct and you won't fall through.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I hate OSB Board....... Oatmeal when wet LOL. I understand what your saying and that's what i meant by its a balloon.Just didn't have the full facts
:) Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

I think the floor has been upgraded in newer models as far as the encasing goes.

#8 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think the floor has been upgraded in newer models as far as the encasing goes.

Babs&Chris, I meant to mention that to be a possibility but didn't get it in. I had heard that they were working on a fix but that was some time ago and I have heard nothing so far. However even if they use ext plywood and seal the edges it is bound to help.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#9 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have a 2010....... Hope i'm included in that upgrade.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#10 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yeah, as I recall the factory tour they said that they used plywood and fully encased it now and also used something around the holes they had to drill to further seal it--shows how much technical knowledge I have, huh? We just paid special attention to that because when we were trailer shopping, an Airstream dealer told us to walk through a campground at night and look under peoples' trailers and see how much light came through the floors, and sure enough, we did and my husband knew right then a conventional trailer was not for him. Of course, the Airstream guy was trying to sell us on Airstreams, but we had also asked him what he considered 2nd best to Airstream and he told us Casita and a couple of others. I was already interested in a Casita based simply on looks, but that got Chris interested!

#11 Lazy-B

Lazy-B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Freedom
  • Interests:MY ROTTWEILER - READING - MOTORCYCLES - GUNS - RV TRAVEL

I HAVE A COLLECTION OF GUNS, MY " BEST GUN " IS THE
    ONE I AM CARRYING AT THE TIME I NEED ONE.
  • Trailer Name:"THE WANDERER"
  • Casita Club Directory #:16797

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, as I recall the factory tour they said that they used plywood and fully encased it now and also used something around the holes they had to drill to further seal it--shows how much technical knowledge I have, huh? We just paid special attention to that because when we were trailer shopping, an Airstream dealer told us to walk through a campground at night and look under peoples' trailers and see how much light came through the floors, and sure enough, we did and my husband knew right then a conventional trailer was not for him. Of course, the Airstream guy was trying to sell us on Airstreams, but we had also asked him what he considered 2nd best to Airstream and he told us Casita and a couple of others. I was already interested in a Casita based simply on looks, but that got Chris interested!

The mention of " Airstreams " reminds me of the old saying, " At the end of the world there will only be cockroaches and Airstreams "
I would like to add " CASITA'S as a third item.
  • Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this
" I would rather go through life with skinned knees then
being afraid to fall down. "