21 replies to this topic

#1 GKesler

GKesler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 03:11 PM
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Hiking, kayaking

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well i'm getting ready to retire and purchase my first RV. My research has sent me to Casita.
I think I like everything about a Casita. Not having used a RV, I can only like with I can read and see.
Please help me make the right decision on the Casita product.
I may start out with a late model and trade up. What do you think of starting out old/small and moving up?
G

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Welcome to The Casita Club!

If you can find a used one, that would be a great place to start. However, I have seen the price of Casita Travel Trailers climb very high. The fact that well priced, used trailers normally sell within minutes of being posted tells you that it is not a buyer's market right now. I run across many folks who decided to purchase new because the price difference between a late model used trailer and a new one was not that far apart.

I hope this helps!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 Hazel Mann

Hazel Mann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe - 2003

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

If you look at the Casita Club classifieds you will find used units for sale. In fact we have recently put our 2003 17'Spirit Deluxe on the Club website to sell. We are in Williamsburg, VA, and might be close enough to you to drive over to look at ours. We feel it is in very good condition and we priced it under what others are advertised at $9,950. Casita holds it value because they are made to last a long time and are high quality. We have not had any trouble with ours, and we always have done the suggested maintanance and more. We are the original, non smoker owners, and the trailer has been gently used. A new Casita is about $19,000 I have been told. If you call Casita directly out in Texas, speak to Jeanne Ivie and she will be very helpful. She has asked us show our unit to many people over the years since there are no dealers around here, We hate to part with our little Casita, but it is time. You can call us direct if you want to make an appointment to see our unit. 757 253-0824 Hazel Mann

#4 GKesler

GKesler
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hazel
Thanks for the reply
If you still have it in a few weeks I would like to stop in and look at her. I do think the way to start is with a used one.
I travel Va on business and will bein tidewater after the 4 th.
Will that work for you?
Thanks george

#5 Tomncharlotte

Tomncharlotte
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 17' SD

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hi George...Welcome!
Like you, I'm retiring soon. (Very soon. :) ) I'm not new to camping... Did tent camping, 2 popups, and now since April, my 04 SD. You will be happy with either new or used. Don't be afraid to by used. As Hazel stated Casitas are well built and last, last last. You are well placed for getting lots of good use from a Casita. Virginia has some really great state parks and campgrounds. I have been to Grayson Highlands and Staunton River. I think someone was trying to organize an egg rally in Va for sometime this fall. BTW, I'm in NC. Good luck in retirement. Tom

#6 GKesler

GKesler
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Thanks
I know Charlotte well. My daughter lives in Charlotte.
The more I think about the Casitas, the more I recognize that the quality is there and a used one is the way to go.
Any special features that you think are a must for a first timer?
  • Rich&Lynn likes this

#7 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

I love my 13 ft Patriot Deluxe, even though it hasn't gone any where this yr---i do sleep in it almost weekly. I have it parked & hooked up electrically in my Grassed Field. hooked up to my Van incase i decide to just take off.
sparky1 in southern Va.

#8 Tomncharlotte

Tomncharlotte
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 17' SD

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

G, I can't think of any one special thing that I just have to have. It's more of a learn as you go kind of affair. Any Casita will have the basic or "stock" items and build your personal preferances from that. My Casita came with some mods already in place. Satellite antenna and solar hookup to name two. Part of the fun will be to figure your own. Use this forum and the general forum as a resource for starters. Tom

#9 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

A late model Casita will not cost that much less than a new one, and over the length of time your Casita will last, that may be negligible especially depending on how your state handles sales tax and registration ... You may not want to pay twice by purchasing one trailer and then purchasing another. Also, Casita just changed their bathroom design in April, 2013. You may have a preference for one over the other and that could help make your decision of new over used. Whatever, you will love it either way.

#10 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

First decide on sleeping style so you know what model you want. When we bought ours I almost didn't get the outside shower...couldn't imagine what I would use it for. But I have found that it is wonderful for bathing my dog, which I do after almost every camping trip. Plus it is great for washing big pots and pans. So I am glad I got it.

#11 GKesler

GKesler
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Good point about the new to old price range. My thought is to pick up an inexpensive 17 deluxe. Run it for a few years then. Figure out what I like and what I don't use. I guess I need to understand the ins and outs of RVIng. Do I need or want solar? Will I use the shower, inside and outside. Is the large frig a must? This are questions I just will not be able to answer until my wife and I hit the road in one.

It may turn out that we may not use the camper as much as we thought.

I just don't know.

Back to work tomorrow:-(

#12 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

GKesler,
May I make a couple of suggestions. Your last sentence prompted my response. I would suggest you go to lovemycasita.com and buy a copy of Eileen's CD. It is 255 pages of information about each of the models and all of their systems. Then, you will know. Secondly, I'd take up Hazel's offer to come see her Casita. Wherever it is in relation to your location it is a darn bit closer than Rice, TX. The systems are the same so you would be adding to your knowledge base. You can also sit in the trailer and give it the sit test. Then you will be able to decide for yourself how you would or would not use the various options you see. Who knows you might like it. But, in any case you will have met one of those illusive Casita owners "down the road"! Sandy

#13 GKesler

GKesler
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

Sandy
I saw the CD. And a good suggestion that is. My process is to go to Williamsburg and see if Hazels Sprit DL is what i want. After talking with her I know i will have a better idea about what I want. Thanks
question, The CD covers all old units as well as the 2013?

#14 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

Best $ 30 you will spend. Yes it does. When you look at the list of people who Eileen used as proofers for her facts you will see that among the people who made sure her facts were correct is Larry Gamble whose Casita is a 1996 model. Old enough? Also, Hazel's trailer is a 2003 model which isn't that old for a fiberglass trailer. Stick builts start to depreciate as you drive them off the lot. Hazel said to look at the classifieds on this forum and they have priced it below. In other threads about the value of used Casitas the value goes down about $500 per year. Now look at those same classifieds do the math and see if I am in the ballpark. Not sure because I am not in the market. But I know that after almost 18 months of ownership and 12,000 miles and 250 nights camping my trailer has been viewed by many people in campgrounds all over, people take a brochure and leave enthusiastically thanking me for showing them the trailer. We love it and I am not seeing that I need to replace or upgrade used looking anything yet. Seems like from her "gently used and maintained" statement that if you went into mine then hers you would see differences in material of the cushions but you might not be able to tell which was older. Also, I don't know Hazel and I don't have a horse in this race. I also read that you can get down to see it after the 4th. But, I have Eileen's CD. She has testimonials on her website and when you read them you will see that some were her contributors and some are screen names that you have read on this forum or the Casitaforum.com which also is a good source for info and comparison of prices on used Casitas. Do a search for her CD and for used Casita values. They are interesting reads. Have fun in your search. You don't know me but I hope you have half as much fun with your Casita as I have had with mine. Sounds like you are still working. That is why you can conceivably only have half the fun... till you retire! Sandy
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#15 GKesler

GKesler
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the insight.
I will get the CD