• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stairman

stairman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 109 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:99 spirit deluxe 17'
  • Interests:camping, kayaking, deer hunting, scuba diving[full cave certified] guitar, wilderness survival instructor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

I have all the rivets showing on my Casita outside and heard that caps are supposed to be siliconed over each one but not sure where to get em and if regular clear silicone will work? Also theres a spoiler looking thing mounted to the back roof that pivots up. Is that an outdated antenna or something? My fantastic fan leaked in on the table and needs chaulking around it. Is clear silicone the best for that too? I dont see any holing tank buttons to check on levels, does this not have that panel? W e are lovin the thing. Reminds me of a hippy van man. Randy/

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

It sounds like your "spoiler" may be a no longer installed gull wing antenna. With all the new receiver technology out there, they are not the best. In fact, I'm not sure they will even work with the new digital TV broadcasts, but someone with one will probably clear that up. I use a VuCube satellite receiver dish, so even my internal wire tape antenna installed under the ceiling rat fur doesn't even get used.

While silicone sealers will work, they do tend to break down over time, and no other adhesive sealants will ever stick to the fiberglass in a place where a silicone adhesive sealant has been used. No matter what amount of scrubbing, solvent wiping, or anything else you do, nothing will ever adequately bond to that spot again except more silicone, which doesn't last long. You would be better off with something like 3M 4200 or Sika Flex type of sealant.

Rivet caps are available at most big box stores in the fasteners section. I would be sure to check the seal integrity around the rivet itself. If they look to be losing their water-tight integrity, you may want to drill them out and replace them. A bit of extra work, but if they are leaking now, then just applying a new cap won't seal the leak. If the bases under the rivets are shot or decomposed, you'll need to replace them anyways, which will require drilling out and replacing the rivet with a new cap base under it. Always be sure to put some sealant in the rivet hole itself before inserting the rivet to really seal it against water instrusion.

The holding tanks of Casitas never have had tank level monitoring devices installed at the factory, but some folks have installed after-market ones.

Edited by Euphoria, 07 June 2013 - 08:39 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 stairman

stairman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:camping, kayaking, deer hunting, scuba diving[full cave certified] guitar, wilderness survival instructor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks that clears things up pretty well. Ill probably use white adhesive chaulk to hold the caps in place but gotta find em. Ill re silicone the roof fan and keep an eye on it from now on. Ive always heard to seal all camper lights, windows, doors and vents etc. annually so it should all be good. The batwing on the back is gonna get painted white to match the camper and become the faux spoiler. The fantastic fan has forward and reverse, but also a tiny knob that doesnt seem to do anything. Also a knob with red and blue on it like air and heat on a car , not sure about that either.

#4 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 392 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

If you are on the other forum (casitaforum.com) the webmaster has links to supply casita replacement parts.
The white caps are called: White snap caps. part # 12/12-100 from www.pro-dec.com
Here's a link: http://www.pro-dec.c...34Pa38Ta38Saxj0
Is that what you're looking for?

BTW. if you order 101 caps that's just $7.07. But if you order 100 it will cost you $10.00 ???? ((( I ordered 101 )))

Edited by The Goose Egg, 07 June 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

The "tiny knob" on the Fantastic Fan is probably the in-line fuse holder. It holds a cartridge type glass fuse. Also, the Fantastic Fan is reversible, but make sure it comes to a complete stop before changing air flow direction. Switching it from exhaust to supply, or vice versa, while it is still rotating will pretty much guarantee you'll blow that fuse mentioned above. The red and blue scaled markings is the knob you would use to have the fan come on automatically based on the ambient temperature. If you look up inside the fan screen towards the sky you'll notice a small brass colored thermocouple on one side which measures the temperature. At whatever setting you position the blue/red knob will regulate when the fan comes on. Also, just to mention it, be sure to open the outside vent cover a few inches or else the limit switch will prevent the fan from coming on until it is opened sufficiently.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 stairman

stairman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Hey thanks for the help, just got back from our inaugural camp with it. Ill start a thread on do's and donts that we all have to learn the hard way. The fan never worked this weekend and Ill bet its the fuse.