Getting To The Battery

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Perris

Perris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Have a 2015 Patroit 13ft.
  • Interests:Trailer pulling, sports, people watching, laughing, meeting new friends, camping, world travel, just having fun.

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

I bought my 13'er, a 2015, used earlier this year. Read with interest about the battery. Looked at it and decided it was in the wrong place. So looked for options. There was an air conditioner mounted in the front, just inside the front door at floor level. Just seemed also wrong to me. I am not a big air conditioner user, so out it came and in went the battery. Not a real big job. Removing the battery from under the bench was quite easy, a few screws, a few wires and there it was, very easy to get out. Decided to use 8 gauge wire to make the connection from the converter to the battery. Have much easier access to battery and a bit more storage space. Also added a cut off switch.
Perris
  • Brad likes this

#17 Brad

Brad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patiot Deluxe
  • Interests:Traveling, tennis, songwriting and fishing

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Dear Codasmom: Great post. Could you take a picture of your "shelf?" I was thinking about finally checking the battery and reading all these posts made me realize I better get on it. I do have a four foot cargo steel mesh shelf that could work with some good welding and supports. So I was wondering how yours looks. It would be great to see some close ups. Thank you! Brad Smith

#18 Brad

Brad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patiot Deluxe
  • Interests:Traveling, tennis, songwriting and fishing

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Dear Perris: Just read your post about moving the battery to the AC spot. Oddly enough, I live in Forestville and was hoping I could visit you and check out what you did. I am not necessarily into taking out the AC cause I like the AC (I have a 2010 Patriot Deluxe) but I would like to know another Patriot owner who is close and I could communicate with about stuff like this battery placement thing as well as a problem I had emptying the grey tank two weeks ago...it would not drain out through the hose and I am thinking maybe there is a vent I need to open or something? Anyway, if you want, you can reach me at bradlsmith98@yahoo.com. Thank you. Brad Smith

p.s. I am a retired teacher from Sebastopol.

#19 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13 foot
  • Interests:Hiking, climbing, birding, camping on the beach
  • Trailer Name:Tickety Boo

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

Perris,

I'm planning to remove the AC unit in my 92 Patriot, like you, did you encounter problems uninstalling? Did you have to finish out the interior of the cabinet? Did you keep the fabric covering on the vent? (I'm thinking of having a metal cover fabricated). Any information appreciated. Peter

#20 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

peter, perris hasn't posted on here since 2017, so not likely he'll respond to your question. however, a full timer who has lived over 16 yrs now in a 16ft casita SD has a detailed youtube video on removing/replacing the ac (both 13ft & 16ft casitas have the same under the closet ac units). his name is bill & you can look him up on youtube under "the willful wanderer". he has lots of very helpful videos including how to clean the jet on the fridge that you'll find useful. good luck

Edited by clairemr1, 29 August 2018 - 06:22 PM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#21 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

Perris,

I'm planning to remove the AC unit in my 92 Patriot, like you, did you encounter problems uninstalling? Did you have to finish out the interior of the cabinet? Did you keep the fabric covering on the vent? (I'm thinking of having a metal cover fabricated). Any information appreciated. Peter

here ya go!

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#22 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

Glad I don't have the Patriot, but if I did, probably the first thing I would do is relocate the battery to an outside battery box where I could get to it and properly service it. What a pain to get to. Certainly not one of Casita's more endearing design features for sure. It's obvious they just install the battery and build the trailer around it.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#23 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Glad I don't have the Patriot, but if I did, probably the first thing I would do is relocate the battery to an outside battery box where I could get to it and properly service it. What a pain to get to. Certainly not one of Casita's more endearing design features for sure. It's obvious they just install the battery and build the trailer around it.

all 13 & 16 ft SD casitas have the same design features, the only difference is the 13 doesn't have the side dinette. i got very lucky, the po who owned mine for 4 months relocated the battery to the tongue before i purchased it. best mod ever! btw, i'm not a huge fan of the 17ft models either, with their battery access hatch, it's still located under the bench. a casita friend relates her nightmare story around the campfire, her battery exploded inside her 17ft SD. what a mess of melted plastic, acid, odors! yuck.

Edited by clairemr1, 30 August 2018 - 08:19 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#24 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Nothing personal about, or against, the 13's or 16's, other than the fact that I'm 6'2", and I don't like walking around like Quasimodo. With my back, I can't stay bent over for long. At least in my 17 footer, I have enough headroom so that I can fully stand up and not have to stoop over inside the trailer. Sometimes being taller isn't necessarily always an advantage, but then I can change light bulbs in my house without a ladder.  :P

I have never had any problems with my battery, and I've always had lead-acid wet batteries which I prefer, or with the "battery cave" either. As far as access, I much prefer it over the placement they chose to locate it at the factory in the smaller trailers.

BatteryCutoffSwitch.jpg

Edited by Euphoria, 30 August 2018 - 08:25 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#25 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

Nothing personal about, or against, the 13's or 16's, other than the fact that I'm 6'2", and I don't like walking around like Quasimodo. With my back, I can't stay bent over for long. At least in my 17 footer, I have enough headroom so that I can fully stand up and not have to stoop over inside the trailer. Sometimes being taller isn't necessarily always an advantage, but then I can change light bulbs in my house without a ladder.  :P

I have never had any problems with my battery, and I've always had lead-acid wet batteries which I prefer, or with the "battery cave" either. As far as access, I much prefer it over the placement they chose to locate it at the factory in the smaller trailers.

attachicon.gifBatteryCutoffSwitch.jpg

glad it works for you. fortunately, a battery explosion is pretty rare, however statistics don't mean much if it happens to you.my friend really hasn't a clue why hers exploded, so we can't learn much from her unfortunate experience with her 17 ft SD. since my battery is conveniently on the tongue of my PD, i check water levels monthly, hoping this avoids any unpleasant situation. so far, so good

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#26 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Most probably due to excessive charging current being applied to the battery, which would cause the electrolyte to boil, thus releasing explosive hydrogen gas. This is why it is important to have a well ventilated battery enclosure. And since hydrogen is the lightest gas, you want to be sure that your ventilation includes a vent near the top of the enclosure as well as a bottom vent so air can circulate and vent out the explosive hydrogen produced during the charging phase.

Edited by Euphoria, 30 August 2018 - 01:08 PM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#27 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13 foot
  • Interests:Hiking, climbing, birding, camping on the beach
  • Trailer Name:Tickety Boo

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

Thanks to Claire, Clover and Euphoria for the info, think I'm ready to remove the AC unit after seeing the video. Also thinking about moving the battery to the tongue, that looks like you'll need a welder to fabricate a shelf with a marine cover, or does anyone know of a kit for moving the battery to the tounge?

#28 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

Thanks to Claire, Clover and Euphoria for the info, think I'm ready to remove the AC unit after seeing the video. Also thinking about moving the battery to the tongue, that looks like you'll need a welder to fabricate a shelf with a marine cover, or does anyone know of a kit for moving the battery to the tounge?

peter, i'll send some info on moving the battery to the tongue.i think you'll enjoy it there, so much easier to deal with it there

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#29 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

peter, i'll send some info on moving the battery to the tongue.i think you'll enjoy it there, so much easier to deal with it there

why not publish you info on the forum for others to benefit from the information? 

or supply the link to the location of the information?

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)