#1 Casita13

Casita13
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Patriot 13

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hoping somebody can help me here...

Can anyone tell me how on earth you get to the battery on a 13' patriot? I see where it is but the way its positioned you can't remove the battery or even get the cover off due to half the battery being under the access area (top side access point) and you can't pull it out the side access door between the seats due to all the plumbing being in the way.

I'm at a loss to understand why they put the battery where you can't get to it... The issue I'm having is since you can't shut off the propane detector it's always going to be on and draining the battery so that means you have to keep the trailer plugged in to 110v to keep the battery charged up, which means the battery is going to go through more water and since I can't access the top of the battery to check the level I'm wondering how all that is suppose to work in the long run?

I guess I'll put a switch inline of the detector so that can be turned off otherwise that battery won't last long.

Thanks,

...Joel

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hopefully someone who has a 13" and has installed a battery cut-off switch will respond to help you. Casita doesn't make their batteries very accessible, even in the 17's.

Eileen

PS: Did you see the Message I sent to you? (Illuminated red envelope at the top of the page.)
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#3 tdf-texas

tdf-texas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 10:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

You're right - keeping 110v plugged in will dry out your battery. Try one of these instead.
http://www.amazon.co...battery charger

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

joel,

i camped in a patriot for 3 years and yes, i agree...casita did put the battery in a very inaccessible location. believe it or not the easiest way to get to the thing is to remove the fiberglass seat base that surrounds the battery, water heater, etc. i thought this to be way too much effort so my solution was to make the access hole on top of that base larger (but still small enough to hold the wood (?) insert). then i could, with a lot of twisting and turning, get the battery out (i found that a great deal of cursing helped too). i finally wound up replacing the battery with a sealed gel type that required no water. i also installed a "battery tender" mentioned above to the posts and ran the connector wires so they were accessible thru the access door near the floor. those gel batteries are pretty expensive but, sure made for less maintenance worries. another solution would be to relocate the wet battery outside to the front or rear of the trailer.

p@
  • Steamboat likes this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#5 Casita13

Casita13
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks guys for the help.

Wow... It's one thing to bury the battery where they did, but it's another to put a constant drain on the system (propane detector) so that you have no alternative but to leave the trailer on the charger which then boils the water in the battery which you can't get too to refill!

I'm really shocked that Casita did that, it's not like they just started making these a few months ago? They could have either made the cutout larger or at least installed a knife switch inline to save the battery from turning to dust.

I think I'm going to install an isolation switch for the battery to hopefully get a year or two out of it before the battery dehydrates itself, then after it meets it's untimely death, I'll replace it with one of those Optima deep cycle sealed batteries.

Don't get me wrong, I love the camper, I just I'm shocked at the thought process that went into this, it like someone saying... Yah Bob, let's just go with a none service battery approach. By the time the battery dies the trailer will be outside it's warranty!"

Thanks again!

#6 Casita13

Casita13
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Update....

OK, Maybe it's not as bad as I thought after all... Upon running the number it looks like the detector will run on a fully charged battery about 82 days which means I don't have to keep it charged as often as I thought I would. I'm still going to put in a disconnect and figure on replacing the battery when it dies.

#7 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

on my 13 ft Patriot Deluxe I cut out some of the fiberglass--wet it to quell the dust.so i can remove the Battery a lot easier used finger nail polish to reseal the fiberglass so no flying fibers.
works great,, now i upgraded to a group 27 battery Now i fight it--to remove it in the winter,,
oh well love my cassie.
sparky1 in southern va.

#8 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone had ever thought to cut a hole on the outside of the trailer where the battery is located in order to install a door with a vent. We've been thinking about that for some time especially since we want to add another battery.
Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#9 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

I didn't know those wet batteries even existed any more. I've been using AGM Deep Cycle batteries for all of my battery needs for at least a decade.... going back to a wet battery would be kinda retro I guess... but I'm gonna swap it out for an agm battery and not worry about water levels. I also would prefer to have it on the tongue than under my sleeping head. The area it lives now would make good storage.

Edited by SoloMatt, 14 February 2015 - 09:58 AM.

• clairemr1 likes this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

I didn't know those wet batteries even existed any more. I've been using AGM Deep Cycle batteries for all of my battery needs for at least a decade.... going back to a wet battery would be kinda retro I guess... but I'm gonna swap it out for an agm battery and not worry about water levels. I also would prefer to have it on the tongue than under my sleeping head. The area it lives now would make good storage.

matt, the previous owner had my casita a short time before i bought it from him, and he did the best thing he could do for me, moved the battery to the tongue. he is 81 yrs old and didn't want to struggle with it, i'm very grateful he did this. absolutely no problem now for me to access the battery/check fluid levels/remove it for winter storage. i highly recommend doing this mod on the patriot, works great! claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

also, friends of mine had their battery explode inside their 17 ft casita, it was a horrid mess in there. while rare, it can and does happen. my advice? move the battery to the tongue!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#12 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

It was tight but i was able to get my battery out of my 13' patriot..... first i took off the vent hose up top, then took off the casita stock clips that hold the top in place. then i lifted the top and pushed it up over the battery towards the rear and then pulled the batter out with a bunch of wiggling...... If that bench was raised 1/2 strips around the border it would be much easier...... when re-installing the lid on the battery i held it in place with office "Bull Clips" or a small bungee

I still think it's easier to take the whole bench out in under five minutes and use a AGM Battery

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#13 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

^Yeah, I agree.  Seems you could also run an SAE extension cord (like this: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B003WDEYPE )  from an AGM battery and hardly ever need access to the battery itself-- just use the quick connect ( like this: http://www.amazon.co...bxgy_auto_img_y ) and a good quality charger/status monitor/maintainer to keep it healthy.  But, still, under me when I sleep is a little off-putting.  I don't even like to have my laptp under my bed for that reason.  It's rare but then....

also, friends of mine had their battery explode inside their 17 ft casita, it was a horrid mess in there. while rare, it can and does happen. my advice? move the battery to the tongue!

:o   :o

Thanks for that info! Would not want that to happen.

Edited by SoloMatt, 15 February 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#14 Desertigloo

Desertigloo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 13"

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

We just bought a 13'. To check the battery we removed the bench seat. I am so glad we did. The previous owners cut the end off the sealed, vented battery box to install a larger battery. It could not be seen from the opening in the top of the beach seat. I don't want to think about the problems sleeping over a unvented battery. Please check EVORYTHING when buying a uesd rig.
  • NASA42 B likes this

#15 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:24 AM

I have a Patriot and I just didn't like the idea of the battery being under the bed-for many reasons. I purchased an "over the tanks" shelf from Orbital last year and Larry at Little House moved my battery onto the shelf. It sits in a marine case and is very accessible for Tender, maintenance, etc.
  • nelsones likes this