9 replies to this topic

#1 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty deluxe/17

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'm not sure if this is the correct location to post this but we are new owners of a 17' LD. We don't have a Tow Vehicle yet but understand that we'll need a brake controller in it so it will control the trailer brakes. The previous owner had a Prodigy controller #90185. I didn't see that particular model but others range in price from about $90 to nearly $150.

Could someone give us some advice on which one to buy? We don't want to learn by trial and error when it comes to slowing down.

Thanks.

Alan & Mary

#2 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Did the previous owners give you the Casita wiring diagram? Casita's are a little different in that they have back up lights and a lot of travel trailers don't so if you should have it wired to their diagram. Eileen may actually have that diagram in her A-Z manual that I highly recommend. In addition, there are some videos on youtube that a lady recorded at the factory as they went through the orientation on her new Casita--you may find that helpful. We have a Prodigy brake controller that was about $150, and it is excellent. Easy to set and totally harmonizes with the TV brakes so you don't even feel the trailer when stopping.

#3 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 433 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

I use a Prodigy P3 brake controller. They have harnesses for just about any tow vehicle.

#4 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I use a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ, very easy to setup and use, $95., high reviews, Amazon link below:

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Edited by fella10, 05 June 2013 - 06:34 PM.

• Babs&Chris and dmtexas like this

#5 Maestro Bob

Maestro Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:music and outdoors

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

I use a Prodigy P3 brake controller. They have harnesses for just about any tow vehicle.

Awesome trip photo collection. Thank you for sharing!

I remember the Vietnam era as a kid, Id seen some of the military men who came from Vietnam while mom was working at Sangley Point Naval Base in Canacao, Bay Cavite Philippines.

#6 Retired in Reno

Retired in Reno
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

We have a 2007 17' LD that we purchased last month, but needed a tv because our Hyundai Tucson was no where near the rating to pull it. After reading so many good reviews of the Honda Ridgeline on the CasitaClub forum, we settled on finding one we could afford, and just this week found a 2006 for sale on Craig's List. The owner wasn't satisfied with it for pulling his boat (4000 lbs), but I thought it would do well with the Casita. It had the 7 pin connector and the hitch receiver, so I figured it would be all ready to go, but when I went to get the brake control I discovered that this particular Ridgeline doesn't have the tow package, that the connector was wired in after market and the former owner was likely not using his trailer's brakes.
Getting the brake control added in has proved difficult, all of the seven companies I contacted are super busy with jobs to get done before the 4th, but at one RV service facility I managed to get in, because they thought it would be a half hour job, then when they got to it, instead of $200 they told me to reschedule for next week when they could have it for 4 hours and hard wire the controller. Also, the price went up to nearly $700!
Instead, I went next door to the U-Haul dealer, who can get to it two days earlier for under $240, a better option, which includes 2 hours labor, but they want it all day just in case. So far, this all seems reasonable, but it brings up a question I am hoping the smart and knowledgeable members here can answer.

Since there isn't the factory installed tow package, does that mean I should make any other modifications, such as a transmission cooler?

So far, I have only pulled with this set up a few miles, don't really like the idea of not having a brake controller though it seems to handle really well and have good stopping power. I plan on using it to visit Lake Tahoe about 30 miles away, but up a steep grade from Reno, next month, can hardly wait to use it since it's been mine for almost 2 months now, but I want to be safe and not cause damage to my new truck, too.
Thanks in advance for any help!

#7 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

You'll definitely need to add a transmission cooler for the grades. Usually not too bad - maybe $300 installed, maybe 1/2 to 1 hour labor.

Which is a WHOLE LOT less than a new transmission.

Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#8 HBarlow

HBarlow
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

We have a 2007 17' LD that we purchased last month, but needed a tv because our Hyundai Tucson was no where near the rating to pull it. After reading so many good reviews of the Honda Ridgeline on the CasitaClub forum, we settled on finding one we could afford, and just this week found a 2006 for sale on Craig's List. The owner wasn't satisfied with it for pulling his boat (4000 lbs), but I thought it would do well with the Casita. It had the 7 pin connector and the hitch receiver, so I figured it would be all ready to go, but when I went to get the brake control I discovered that this particular Ridgeline doesn't have the tow package, that the connector was wired in after market and the former owner was likely not using his trailer's brakes.
Getting the brake control added in has proved difficult, all of the seven companies I contacted are super busy with jobs to get done before the 4th, but at one RV service facility I managed to get in, because they thought it would be a half hour job, then when they got to it, instead of $200 they told me to reschedule for next week when they could have it for 4 hours and hard wire the controller. Also, the price went up to nearly $700!
Instead, I went next door to the U-Haul dealer, who can get to it two days earlier for under $240, a better option, which includes 2 hours labor, but they want it all day just in case. So far, this all seems reasonable, but it brings up a question I am hoping the smart and knowledgeable members here can answer.

Since there isn't the factory installed tow package, does that mean I should make any other modifications, such as a transmission cooler?

So far, I have only pulled with this set up a few miles, don't really like the idea of not having a brake controller though it seems to handle really well and have good stopping power. I plan on using it to visit Lake Tahoe about 30 miles away, but up a steep grade from Reno, next month, can hardly wait to use it since it's been mine for almost 2 months now, but I want to be safe and not cause damage to my new truck, too.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Honda engineers apparently believe your Ridgeline needs a transmission cooler for any significant towing.  My wife owns a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4wd with factory standard towing package rated to tow 4500 lbs.  In the Honda brochure and perhaps in the owner's manual where the towing package is described a factory installed transmission cooler is listed as part of the towing package.

We have not towed with the Pilot so have no idea how well it performs with a Casita in-tow with or without a transmission cooler.

#9 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

Additional transmission cooler - YES.

I have not seen the manufacturer's specs for a towing option that did not include one. This chart might explain why.

PS0134_cr.jpg

My TV has a transmission temperature gage and it is amazing how often it exceeds 200 degrees when towing.

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#10 thrifty bill

thrifty bill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 17 LD
  • Interests:Vintage Bicycles

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

Don't overlook OEM options. On my 2010 F150, a factory trailer brake controller was an option (that original buyer did not purchase). There's a nifty spot in the dash for the controller, and the vehicle is prewired for it. So I bought the ford controller and had it installed. Very clean installation! Note, you can only install the Ford controller on a truck that came with the towing package. Believe it or not, Ford's trailer towing package option did NOT come with the brake controller., but the truck was prewired to accept it. Who buys the towing kit without a brake controller? But if your truck did not have the towing package, then it was not pre-wired.