11 replies to this topic

#1 appledance

appledance
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:14 AM

Hi all,
Well our wait is about over. They are delivering our new 17' SD to Oregon in less than two weeks. We ordered every possible option including the high axle and vinyl flooring. I'm wondering how other people felt about the delivery process? It is about a 2000 mile trip. Does the trailer arrive in good shape or should we expect a few chips, etc. in the paint? We just built a garage to store it in, so we really want to keep it nice. Thanks in advance! Scott

#2 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:01 PM

Hi Scott -
We had ours delivered to Southern California and the tongue jack was slightly damaged. It hit the ground by either not being cranked up all the way or a severe dip in the road. Casita promptly sent us a new one. Everything else was fine. It was a little dirty inside from fiberglass and wall carpeting dust, but not a big deal. Have fun with it!
Chris
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#3 aldo

aldo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 160 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1475

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:50 PM

Scott:

We took delivery 6 weeks ago (we're in Salem -- where are you?). Trailer arrived in fine shape -- just dusty!

My white hose has leaked since we got it -- otherwise, everything works fine. Must say that the learning curve was very steep for someone who had never owned a trailer before. Without a very knowledgeable friend to spend 10 hours with me over several days teaching about sewer/water/amps/hookups/shower drains/etc -- it would have been even more intimidating.

Casita should produce a video for those like us who take home delivery and can't afford the time or $ to travel thousands of miles R-T to Rice. They've thought of it, but according to our salesman, didn't want to spend the $8000 a quality production would cost.

Anyway, I love my Casita -- have taken it on 4 trips in 6 weeks.

Congrats!

Eric & Lorn
<a href='http://www.casitaclu...?showtopic=6033' target='_blank'></a>Eric & Lorn Salem Oregon
Used to have 17 SD
Now Bigfoot 17, but my heart is still Casita

#4 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Creekside 20FQ

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:33 PM

Ours was delivered a couple of years ago in February with no problem. The driver even took the trailer for a wash before delivery. We are in Eugene.
Bill and Ann
Little House Stained Glass
www.littlehousestainedglass.com

#5 appledance

appledance
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:37 PM

Hi,
Thank you both for the feedback. We are so excited about it. Can't wait to take it out for a weekend. Harrold, at Casita, mentioned that sometimes the delivery folks flat get down the road. A little dust won't matter as much as dings or bent parts. We live in Pleasant Hill, about ten miles southeast of Eugene. All of the posts have been so helpful, but I really wish the Casita came with a video too. This is our first rv and were not sure what to expect. We will spend most of our time outside exploring the great Northwest, but it is nice to have something comfortable to get back into when the "weather turns." Getting a little too old for the "tent experience" if you know what I mean. Several years before retirement, so we'll have plenty of time to explore before serious trips, like New England, Canada, etc. The eggs are just so cute and comfy looking! Again, thanks for everything, Scott.

#6 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hi Appledance
Have you gone to the casita travel Trailer Forum ? They have a Manual you can download after joining and it will answer many of your questions . It was written By Gene the WebMaster from that forum He has a 17' SD and has done many mods and such .He is Vwery Knowledgeable here is the link to click on then when that page opens click on Enter the forum http://www.casitaforum.com/
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#7 appledance

appledance
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:55 PM

Hi,
Wow, I had no idea about the forum you mentioned. I have visited it and signed up and I'm so excited about learning more! Our Casita will be delivered this weekend. What a wait. We are SO excited. Thanks for the input. I'm checking our everything daily. Scott

#8 hummingbird

hummingbird
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hi LindyW2,

We've never owned or pulled a trailer before, so we'll check out the tip (website) you provided to Appledance. We will be picking up our 17-foot Freedom in July and then move to Oregon shortly thereafter. We currently live in Texas and will be living in our Casita in Oregon while we build our home.

John and Marcia <_<

sunset_sunrise_030105_250_pixels.jpg
John and Marcia
"Eggstra Home"
2005 Casita FD 17'
formerly TX, now AZ

#9 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

I see this was posted back in 2004. We are expecting delivery soon. We are in Southern California. Wondering what are all the things we should check and not sure how to find current postings here about this. Thanks!

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

there is a series of youtube videos in which victor, a long time employee of casita, explains in detail all of the workings of the trailer to a new female owner . it will come up with a youtube search.

i read/reread all of the paperwork that came with it, attended as many rallies as i possibly could squeeze in that first year and asked everyone a thousand questions. everyone is very generous with their knowledge & time. it's a learning experience, just relax and enjoy it!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

I see this was posted back in 2004. We are expecting delivery soon. We are in Southern California. Wondering what are all the things we should check and not sure how to find current postings here about this. Thanks!

If the Casita is being delivered to you and your not picking it up you may not be given much time by the delivery driver to fully check that everything is working. The refrigerator is probably the most expensive appliance. 

Plug it into outlet, either at home using a plug adapter that will allow the 30amp plug from the camper hook into a standard 120 volt house hold plug. 

If you are not going to park it at home maybe you could meet the delivery driver at a local RV park and plug it in there, maybe stay in it for the first night at a local RV site. 

Check the refrigeration on both electric and gas

turn on the stove, furnace, AC unit, fantastic fan. 

Check the plumbing, so hook up a water hose to the city water outlet and see that both sinks work fine and the toilet flushes. 

Fill the fresh water tank and while NOT connected to city water turn on a faucet or flush the toilet to make sure the water pump is working

Make sure you fill the water heater with water before you check to see if it works with electric. If you forget to fill the water heater and turn on the electric option you will burn up the element in a nano-second. Also check that the water heater works on the propane option.

Check all of your interior lights, do a walk around when it is connected to a tow vehicle and check all of the running lights, turn signals, brake lights and electric brakes.

• MGD likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

One thing I would check for is the pressure reducer that you place between your faucet and hose when hooking up your trailer to city water. I found mine on the closet floor after having camped a few times. Not that you would probably ever connect to water pressure that would burst PEX tubing, but that was the one thing I remember Victor not mentioning when he gave me my shakedown orientation. Had it not been in its package with a label on it, I am not sure I would have even known what it was for. Other than that, you can learn a ton paging through the documentation provided by Casita and YouTube videos.

The only thing that I would add to Clover's advice above is to be aware that it takes up to 24 hours for the refrigerator to cool. Longer if you stock it full of food before turning it on. You should be able to feel the floor of the freezer getting cold within the first 30-60 minutes though. Be aware that an absorption refrigerator works very differently than does one with a compressor. I have learned to start the empty refrigerator the day before departure before loading it up with food. Also, a couple of freezer packs in the freezer and the refrigerator give it a boost at start up, especially if the interior of the trailer is warm. Best of luck, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Toddy

Edited by Hot Toddy, 02 May 2018 - 09:23 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this