20 replies to this topic

#1 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty deluxe/17

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Mary and I are joining the Casita Forum without a Casita or even one on order. We are convinced, however, that we want to get one at the right time as we get closer to retirement. We are interested in a Liberty and would like to find a used one in good condition but they seem rare generally and really scarce in Northern California.

In the meantime, we want to learn as much as we can about traveling with a Casita. We have never done anything like that but we enjoy being together and traveling so it just seems a good way to do both.

We welcome any ideas from others like us.

Alan & Mary

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Welcome to Both of you!

Eric B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 08:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

My husband and I had decided to buy a travel trailer when we retire in a couple of years. Then we started thinking that since it was going to be a big investment, why not go ahead and get it now and use it on weekends and vacations so that we could get more return on our investment. Voila--we did and now we look for ways to incorporate Casita trips into our regular life so we know that we will have all the little necessities for a big trip and also are very familiar with our trailer before venturing too far from home. Don't wait! You can start having fun now.
  • Alan&mary likes this

#4 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Good Evening (our time, anyway),

I tried replying earlier today to the very kind messages we received after we joined the Casita Club forum but I may have done something wrong and my reply didn't take.

Anyway...

We don't have a tow vehicle for the Casita we don't yet own but we have some questions. Is there a recommendation on the best or preferred vehicle to use for towing? We are leaning toward a Toyota Tacoma V-6 pick-up with 2 wheel drive but we are gasping at the gas mileage (approx. 20 mpg) it gets. I currently commute in a Prius so dropping from 53 mpg to 20 (even less when towing) will be quite a jump backward.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks.

Alan

#5 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Whoopeee!!!! We brought our Casita home this afternoon and we are SO excited. We can hardly believe it. We found a LD about 10 miles from us. Talked with the owners (really nice people) and found out that they wanted to get a new, larger trailer so they could take their grandkids along. Asked them if they wanted to sell the Casita and they said, Yes. We checked it out on Saturday, bought it that day and the former owner brought it to our parking space at the condo complex. We went up to see it tonight and just sat in it, pinching ourselves. We've seen so many of them in pictures and now, we have a Casita of our own. Wow!!!

OK, so now all we have to do is find a truck (probably a Tacoma) to pull it with. Details. Details.

We have lots to learn and would welcome any ideas.

Pretty cool.

Alan & Mary
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

CONGRATULATIONS! Some of the best times of your life are ahead of you, I promise.

I suggest you take a look at the A-Z Owner's Guide I have available. It will answer most every question you may have about your Casita. Be sure to view the Table of Contents and the Testimonials.

Happy trails!

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#7 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

Alan and Mary, welcome and congrats on your new addition to the family, we just got home yesterday from picking up our Spirit in Rice last Tuesday,...was a very enjoyable week traveling home, "Lina's Lair" has proven to be much more trailer than we could ever have imagined in a small 17' size,....I know you will have great travels and experiences in your Liberty,.....do take a look at Eileen's A-Z Owner's Guide, it is amazingly thorough, you won't be disappointed......
(PS) do duck as you go thru the door, I have three gashes on my bald head to help me to remember to do so :( ..........

James & Lina
  • Babs&Chris and Alan&mary like this

#8 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi James & Lina,

Thank you for your reply and the encouragement. Our next task is to find a truck that will tow the Casita reliably and, hopefully, with some decent gas mileage.

I am learning to duck as I go in and out of the door. Fortunately, the padding has saved me from a real bash on my bald head. I hope I'll be able to make a habit of ducking quickly, though, to avoid the gashes you received.

Keep us posted on your experiences. We've never done anything like this so it's all new to us. We're just very excited about the Casita. Still can't believe it's ours.

Alan & Mary
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#9 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

My husband and I had decided to buy a travel trailer when we retire in a couple of years. Then we started thinking that since it was going to be a big investment, why not go ahead and get it now and use it on weekends and vacations so that we could get more return on our investment. Voila--we did and now we look for ways to incorporate Casita trips into our regular life so we know that we will have all the little necessities for a big trip and also are very familiar with our trailer before venturing too far from home. Don't wait! You can start having fun now.

Hi Babs & Chris,

You inspired us with your comment about starting to have fun now. Within a couple of days, we became Casita owners (LD). Now, if you can send us a nice Tacoma or Frontier to pull it with, that'll get us in business.

Thanks.

Alan & Mary
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#10 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Alan and Mary, welcome and congrats on your new addition to the family, we just got home yesterday from picking up our Spirit in Rice last Tuesday,...was a very enjoyable week traveling home, "Lina's Lair" has proven to be much more trailer than we could ever have imagined in a small 17' size,....I know you will have great travels and experiences in your Liberty,.....do take a look at Eileen's A-Z Owner's Guide, it is amazingly thorough, you won't be disappointed......
(PS) do duck as you go thru the door, I have three gashes on my bald head to help me to remember to do so :( ..........

James & Lina

Hi James and Lina,

I'm just learning how to reply to specific messages. Anyway, thanks for your note. We're really excited about the Casita and will be even more so once we find a vehicle to tow it with.

Thanks, too, for the comment about ducking. I've had a couple of close calls already.

Keep us posted on your experiences. It's all new to us and we welcome the chance to learn the ropes from others.

Alan & Mary

#11 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

since we are newbies to the RV world also, I do not speak as any kind of expert,....but there are two items that IMHO if you don't already know about, you should,...the Sewer Solution and BAL Leveler.....the SS has proven its worth everyday I have used it, the best test was yesterday, wanted to clean my tanks AT HOME,...because of how my yard is in relation to my home clean-out, I can't use a gravity flow sewer line(2' elevation and 40' distance from the closest point I can get the trailer to the clean-out),... the SS comes with 10' of hose and I added an extra 10' extension when I purchased, so yesterday, I went to Lowes and purchased two 10' pvc 3/4" pipes and three couplings and connected EVERYTHING together(glued nothing, so I can break-down and store), the SS pumped(no pump, just a small jet of water, so maybe I should say PUSHED) the 2' elevation and 40' distance without any problem, a gravity flow sewer line couldn't have done that,...plus(BIG plus) everything is clean when you are finished and ready to store, no additional cleaning,.....now the BAL Leveler,..a great product for leveling your Casita,...did have problem at one park on soft grass, so first thing at home I did the "spread it" trick,... many people spread with a jack, but I used chain, two trees and a come-along,.. feel sure now we'll have no more problems what so ever,....you can see both of these items demonstrated on youtube and find them on line at several places(I'm convinced Amazon.com has almost EVERYTHING), ......just wanted to share what I think are two very useful accessories to trailer traveling........................James

Edited by fella10, 05 June 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• Babs&Chris likes this

#12 SKYTALKER

SKYTALKER
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 2008 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio, camping, fishing, sightseeing

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

I know you are going to love your Casita. I tow with a Toyota Tacoma V-6 Pre-Runner. I average around 15 mpg while towing and 20 mpg when not towing. I have gotten as high as 17.5 mpg while towing with a head wind, I guess. If you are looking for a Tacoma, it will be a great tow vehicle. Of course there are others just as good or better. Just depends on personal preference.
  • Alan&mary likes this
Maynard and Jacquie
ARS: KJ4P
2008 Spirit Deluxe 17'
2009 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner V6

Take only Pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

#13 wildmtngrl

wildmtngrl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Deluxe - 2013
  • Interests:Hiking, photography, kayaking and visiting National Parks.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Congrats on finding your Casita & beginning your egg-venture!

#14 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Congratulations, Alan and Mary! I know you will not regret it. Welcome to Casitaville.

#15 Alan&mary

Alan&mary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

I know you are going to love your Casita. I tow with a Toyota Tacoma V-6 Pre-Runner. I average around 15 mpg while towing and 20 mpg when not towing. I have gotten as high as 17.5 mpg while towing with a head wind, I guess. If you are looking for a Tacoma, it will be a great tow vehicle. Of course there are others just as good or better. Just depends on personal preference.

Thank you for your feedback. We are going to Toyota tomorrow and will look at Tacoma and Tundra. Any experience with Tundra?