• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan S21

Dan S21
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Classical & other music, reading, bicycling, hiking.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'll be picking up my 1st trailer, a 16' Spirit Deluxe in early July, and am making travel plans from Texas. At RV camps, which offer 20-50 amps connections, how much amperage do I need to run the A/C (the main draw?), the refrigerator, the water pump, and possibly a TV (am I leaving anything out?).

Where do you stow things that are bulky, such as a folding lawn chair, I'm sure there are others, especially overnight, in your tow vehicle?

Thanks,

Dan

#2 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Dan
Most RV camps offer 20-30 amp connections, many offer 20-30-50 circuits.
The water pump runs off the battery. Most TVs use very few amps. Run the refrigerator on gas and the control panel will only use a few milli-amps from the battery.
Unless you use the A/C, Microwave and hair dryer at the same time 20 amps will be enough.
Your trailer will come with a 30 amp cord and connector therefore a 20 to 30 amp adapter is a good thing to have. It's actually necessary if you get one of the smaller generators.

Depending on the camp site, we may store chairs, ice chests and folding tables under the trailer at night. At some sites we choose to lock then in the shell on the back of the pickup. Our gas grill is a cheepie and would be no loss if it took a walk so is left on the site picnic table till ready to pack to leave.

Congratulations on your new SD. You're going to love the Casita experience.
Neal
Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Dan --

I suggest you check out my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide. It covers just about every question you may have about a Casita. The Table of Contents and Testimonials will give you a preview of what's included and how valuable resource it can be.

Eileen
  • CHUCK & JEAN likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#4 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Dan, if you are at a campground with electricity, you will no doubt have water hookup--"city" water furnished through your hose. In that case, you do not have to worry about the amps needed for the water pump. The water pump only needs to run if you are not hooked up and are getting water from your freshwater tank.