9 replies to this topic

#1 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

I've seen and read how very often Liberty owners mod their twin beds to widen them and I can understand why they would do that, but at 24" wide that's about the size of a couch and it is the size of a camping cot. I'm not talking about the comfort of the cushions(I know many add extra thickness to the cushions), but I'm asking about the comfort of the width. I would think we all have fallen asleep on a couch at one time or another, and was very comfortable while doing so. Does anyone use those twin beds just the way they are, or is the main use of Liberty beds either widen the twins or use the king bed arrangement?

Edited by fella10, 21 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

I sleep on the side dinette of the SD. Without any extensions, it measures 24" wide, but then, not everyone is my size (which is average build).

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#3 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 676 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

James,
Have spent many an hour asleep on the twin. It is wide enough. But we make the queen bed at night. That is very comfortable with more room than the twins. Don't use the king. Love the Liberty after a year and a half and 12,000 miles! Sandy
  • Rob and Laura, Babs&Chris and Hargrl like this

#4 Turkey Flats

Turkey Flats
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

We widened one bed to 30 inches. Left the other 24 inches That left sufficient aisle width. Don't really think it was absolutely necessary now that we've traveled several times with this bed configuration. The 24 inch bed is a comfortable width. Usually used by one of us and a traveling Chihuahua who thinks the entire bed is for her.
  • Babs&Chris likes this
Roque & Yolanda
Texas Hill Country
06 Tundra
09 17' LD "eggPod"

#5 Bob in Redding

Bob in Redding
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Luxury Deluxe

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

We have tried it all. (17'LD) Now we have stuck with the twins and adding a pad to make it a queen too. Great room for the arms, books, etc. We bought one fo those form fitting foam pads at Costco and cut them to 2 twins and a separate piece for the middle as if it was a queen. Now we are going to use one we have on our king bed at home and just cut out the section between the twins to the queen size. We can still use the small table. I made a base for the large table and we put that outside and use camp chairs.
  • Linnij likes this

#6 Lanns

Lanns
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Skiing, Art Quilting, Biking, Travel

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

I am thinking of buying a liberty D soon. Has anyone ordered the extra firm cushions so that the bed is more comfortable. I'm in south Fl and would love to see your set up. Laurie

#7 Moenkopi

Moenkopi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking (luthiery, furniture, boats), canoeing, kayaking, ww rafting, guitar & dobro

www.pbase.com/redrock

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Lanns,

Here is a link to another post showing what we did with our 2013 LD. http://www.casitaclu...up/page__st__30

We decided to go with the Liberty rather than the Independence because of the aisle width. It is easy for two people to move around each other in the LD, and there is access to storage from the side, rather than only from the top in the Independence (as I understand it from the salesman, because of the narrow aisle). We had a Freedom Deluxe before this, and there is definitely more living space in the Liberty...it feels much roomier. And,the standard cushions that we got were PLENTY firm! We will be at the Cherokee, NC rally in October.

#8 Rob and Laura

Rob and Laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:looking for a Casita
  • Trailer Name:Casita

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:31 AM

James,
Have spent many an hour asleep on the twin. It is wide enough. But we make the queen bed at night. That is very comfortable with more room than the twins. Don't use the king. Love the Liberty after a year and a half and 12,000 miles! Sandy

Hi There, 

I know this is a post from 2013 but interesting. We are awaiting delivery of our new Liberty Deluxe 17.  We used to own a Spirit deluxe but sold it a few years ago.  We were never  quite comfortable with the sleeping arrangement with SD and so we're looking forward to the Liberty.  Anything you'd like to share would be appreciated!  Thanks...

• Rob and Laura likes this

#9 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 676 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

Rob and Laura,

Six years and about 35,000 miles later, we are still loving the queen bed set up. We have the additional table for breakfast if we don’t feel like making up the bedding and returning the main table configuration. When camping we like the roominess of the main table and the bench seating during the day. Takes about five minutes to set up and take down. Makes for a more comfortable setting during the day, especially in rainy or wintery weather. Or Texas summers. We have averaged over 200 nights a year and still love it. Sandy

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

Rob & Laura, the LD offers the most versatile sleeping arrangements. it is the one i will purchase if something ever happens to my 2013 13ft PD (and i hope that NEVER happens!). i would get tired of crawling over my partner (i'm a solo so that isn't currently an issue) for bathroom trips during the night in the SD, especially as we get older. i also love the split galley (i have it in my PD so am used to it) & the huge windows in the LD. i don't think you will be disappointed in your purchase. enjoy.............

• Carol Christensen, NASA42 B and Carol&Michael like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host