• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Now that's an idea I hadn't thunk of Dex, thanks, I'll try it.

#17 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

The sink cover can be put in the open drawer for more counter space.

Yes, it can...and I've tried it.

But why spend money for a hunk of laminated board when you could buy a real cutting board (wood or plastic) to cover the drawer opening?

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#18 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

The sink cover can be put in the open drawer for more counter space.

Yes, it can...and I've tried it.

But why spend money for a hunk of laminated board when you could buy a real cutting board (wood or plastic) to cover the drawer opening?

Eileen

I use plates to cut food - easier to clean and sanitary.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#19 edkansas

edkansas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 112 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

My 17" FD came with both covers when I bought it used. I put folding shelf hinges at the end of the counter and my stove cover will open flat on the shelf supports. I sometimes put the sink cover on top of the stove cover when it is open, otherwise when the stove cover is closed I put the sink cover on the shelf supports so I have extra counter space for my toaster or whatever.
2002 FD 17' "Snugly"
1997 Silverado V8

#20 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 04:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

I got the covers because with buying a Casita in the first place, buying every item Eileen recommended, buying a Cal-Mark cover for it, and paying to widen my driveway, skimping on the price of the sink cover seemed silly. Yeah, I could use something cheaper for the same purpose, and I may find something else even works better. But it matches, and it fits. To each his own--I think we agree that you will find some sort of cover for the sink to be very handy. How much you want to spend on it is a personal decision.

#21 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

The sink cover is all but useless, and it is made from the same pressed board (MDF) that they make the factory compartment doors out of. I wouldn't trust cutting food that I was going to eat on a piece of MDF. I took a small plastic cutting board and cut it to fit the top of the sink and added another piece cut to fit inside the dimensional area of the sink itself. I "married the two together from the bottom with a few stainless steel screws. The bottom piece keeps it from sliding around. I really don't use it much as a cutting board though, its used more as a way to increase counter space during food prep. It's easier to clean and it won't warp or delaminate like the MDF would if it got wet.
As to the stove cover...well, I thought it was a very flimsy and not-too-attractive piece of scrap metal. I removed it and created a nice stove cover out of a bamboo cutting board to which I mounted four short sections (legs) made from marine grade stainless steel 1" tubing. I added 4 of those commercially available white 1" rubber replacement chair leg feet, (the kind used to keep from scratching your floor.) I mounted these tubing sections and rubber feet to the bottom of the cutting board with stainless steel wood screws that were just long enough to hold the leg assemblies in place by screwing through the bottom of the rubber feet. The trick is to screw the S/S screws in so as to not have them stick down lower than the rubber feet (dimpling the bottom enough to only have rubber in contact with the fiberglass counter surface,) but not long enough to penetrate the top of the cutting board either. The other aspect to mounting these legs is to position them so they are tight to the edge of the stove when placed in use over the burners so it doesn't move around. The legs are cut to be just long enough to clear the top cooking surfaces of the stove when cradled over them. We rarely use the inside stove for much other than boiling water since we do most of our cooking outside. It really adds a good sized prep area to what would otherwise be an extremely small counter work surface. Be sure to pre-drill the screw holes in the cutting board so as not to split it.
stovecover2.jpg.JPG stovecover1.jpg.JPG stovecover4.jpg.JPG stovecover5.jpg.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM.

• partslady9, fella10 and Adventure42 like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#22 fella10

fella10
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

The sink cover is all but useless, and it is made from the same pressed board (MDF) that they make the factory compartment doors out of. I wouldn't trust cutting food that I was going to eat on a piece of MDF. I took a small plastic cutting board and cut it to fit the top of the sink and added another piece cut to fit inside the dimensional area of the sink itself. I "married the two together from the bottom with a few stainless steel screws. The bottom piece keeps it from sliding around. I really don't use it much as a cutting board though, its used more as a way to increase counter space during food prep. It's easier to clean and it won't warp or delaminate like the MDF would if it got wet.
As to the stove cover...well, I thought it was a very flimsy and not-too-attractive piece of scrap metal. I removed it and created a nice stove cover out of a bamboo cutting board to which I mounted four short sections (legs) made from marine grade stainless steel 1" tubing. I added 4 of those commercially available white 1" rubber replacement chair leg feet, (the kind used to keep from scratching your floor.) I mounted these tubing sections and rubber feet to the bottom of the cutting board with stainless steel wood screws that were just long enough to hold the leg assemblies in place by screwing through the bottom of the rubber feet. The trick is to screw the S/S screws in so as to not have them stick down lower than the rubber feet (dimpling the bottom enough to only have rubber in contact with the fiberglass counter surface,) but not long enough to penetrate the top of the cutting board either. The other aspect to mounting these legs is to position them so they are tight to the edge of the stove when placed in use over the burners so it doesn't move around. The legs are cut to be just long enough to clear the top cooking surfaces of the stove when cradled over them. We rarely use the inside stove for much other than boiling water since we do most of our cooking outside. It really adds a good sized prep area to what would otherwise be an extremely small counter work surface. Be sure to pre-drill the screw holes in the cutting board so as not to split it.
stovecover2.jpg.JPG stovecover1.jpg.JPG stovecover4.jpg.JPG stovecover5.jpg.JPG

a picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for including them, I like what you have done, like also, that the whole work area can be picked up with everything still on it and moved to the table when/if it is time to use the burners,.....although we originally did not include either of the two tops, I went back later and did add the stove top and because of that we will give it a chance to "prove" itself(wouldn't dare change our order again, I'm sure our salesman is tired of seeing emails from me), it has been mentioned that the range cover does serve well as a splash/grease guard to protect the fabric near the stove and if it proves to be useful in that way the cutting board cover can be made a bit higher to accommodate even the range cover, but anyway, what you have done is certainly an idea that I like and I won't hesitate at all to do it if the range cover is unsatisfactory in any way,..... again, thanks for sharing your idea and photos

Edited by fella10, 13 May 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#23 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

After using mine, I do like the way the range cover comes up and acts as a grease guard/splash guard between the upholstery and stove. And although I like that cutting board design very much and might do something like that on top of my range cover, those curtains look a little too close to the burners for my comfort. Another safety feature of the range top.

#24 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Good eye, but I pull the curtains rearward if I use the stove, which is rarely. I can't even remember the last time I even used the rear burner, but good point. Glad you're paying attention. lol

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#25 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I paid attention because I really like what you made and looked at it very closely! Not sure I am skilled enough to replicate, but maybe I can come close! The metal cover isn't really strong enough to put pressure on; it is a barrier more than anything so it needs something like you made to have much other functionality.

#26 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

I like the range cover that came with my Casita. It keeps things from getting onto the bed while I cook
  • Babs&Chris likes this
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#27 partslady9

partslady9
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have a 2001 16' Spirit, looking at my cooktop, seems to me the cover would be too long to flip up 90 degrees to use as a splash guard much less do a 180 to use as a cabinet extension.
I just got my unit back from repair & am just now getting to do some hands on(it is new to me), was contemplating this issue as I was cleaning the vinyl cab/carpet trim w/toothbrush on my hands & knees.
The newer units may rotate the cooktop so a flip up & over would clear the rangehood. Would really love the extra counter space.
Elaine

#28 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

The newer units may rotate the cooktop so a flip up & over would clear the rangehood. Would really love the extra counter space.

a lot of folks remove the range hood (me included). it's really a simple mod and opens up the space around the kitchen a great deal. the fantastic fan provides more than enough ventilation when cooking. little house customs has a kit with all the parts/pieces for the project.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#29 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

I've come to like the range hood. I used to cook hamburgers on the stove without using a lid on the pan. Now I use a lid and mostly use the back burner so that the heat and cooking smells go out the vent.

I then was cleaning the exhaust fan an noticed grease in the area. I think the range hood helps to keep cooking smells off the carpeted walls.

#30 sbcasita

sbcasita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17 Spirit Deluxe

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

I found a nice oak wood sink cutting block that fit in my sink once I adjusted the feet slightly. Found it at Camping World.

Here's a link to a different site for the same product. http://www.shop.bris...CFUkV7AoddwgAuw