36 replies to this topic

#1 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

As we wait for our Spirit Deluxe, we continue to tweak the accessories. Since the Spirit is the most popular model Casita sells there should be a lot of folks who have an opinion on this matter, please share your thoughts with us. Are the range cover and sink cover really worth buying? Casita wants $32/range cover, $29/sink cover, are they worth it? Please tell me if I am wrong: the range cover looks very weak if you flip it back and depend on those hinges to hold anything that you might put on it, the sink cover looks like just a piece of wood, but not a true cutting board, couldn't it be replace with an honest to goodness cutting board for a lot less? If the range cover is considered working space when closed down on top of the burners is it really sturdy enough to do anything more than just set items on it for display? If you have them are thy useful, if you don't have them have you ever wished you did? Can they be replaced with more substantial items without much cost or trouble? We sure would appreciate any thoughts that yall might have about these two items. Thank you for your help.........James
  • partslady9 likes this

#2 lkg907

lkg907
  • Casita Club Member
  • 262 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Might I suggest this for a sink cover? A 16'X13" cake rack.. When combined with a high-rise faucet it works very well. Increased counter space. Plus normal pots & pans can be filled. The feet on the cake rack keep it from sliding around.
  • ArizonaEileen, Blueyedcin and Tampa Rick like this

#3 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

We have the range cover and always use it to hold our coffee maker or coffee pot. We also use it to support a small radio on rainy days. We did not get the sink cover and never regretted not having it. The cake rack idea listed above is what we use. It is more practical, lighter, and easier to store. Our Casita rep suggested that we go with the range cover, but not the sink cover, when we toured the factory prior to purchasing our Casita. It was the right choice for us.
  • ArizonaEileen likes this
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#4 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I got both. I may eventually modify, but over the lifetime of the trailer, the cost is minimal, I figured.

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have both as well...came with my 2011 I bought used. The range cover acts as a splash guard when cooking....keeps grease off fabric. The sink cover......no great value.....can be a cutting board if needed.
  • Babs&Chris and Tampa Rick like this

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

Definitely get the range cover.

Skip the sink cover.

Eileen
  • MarkWS likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#7 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

I can only speak for the 16' version and I use my sink cover a bunch. It is actually where i do almost all my little food prep that I do. In the 17' variant you may have more room. But in the 16' variant we have only that tiny space and the opened door of the microwave cabinet, which I seldom use, prefering the top of the sink cover instead. Now, the stove cover in mine just flips up into an upright position to act as another backsplash, but, when down, increases my counter space immensely.

So, If you go for a 16', by all means get both. You want regret it. I cannot speak for those inside their more roomy but behemoth, sun-blocking, 17 footers!
  • Tampa Rick likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#8 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

i got both with my 16'. didn't take long before i tossed the sink cover as it was pretty much useless and just another thing to put somewhere. ever time i use the stove cover i try to think of a way to replace it with something more useful.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#9 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,468 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Definitely get the range cover.

Skip the sink cover.

Eileen

+1

There are many ideas, posted by creative owners, for modifying both covers. You may find satisfaction with the stock stove cover, copy someone's mod or create your own "perfect solution." The same is true for the sink cover, but there's no need to spend even $29 for something that will most likely be relegated to "surplus."

Harold
  • ArizonaEileen likes this

#10 csevel1

csevel1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Gardening, Travel, Camping, Yoga..

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

I would skip the sink cover if it were me. I had an old blue Corian cutting board that fit over it perfectly. I'm sure you could find something more suitable like a wood cutting board. As far as the range cover, I purchased an old one from a member here who changed out their stove for $5. I sanded it, painted it with white appliance paint, then bought folding shelf brackets to attach to the side of the cabinet for support. I finally got to test it out (today, in fact). Worked so wonderful for our toaster this morning. It really does give you more useable counter space. I recommend getting it and possibly modifying it for your needs.

• partslady9 and Tampa Rick like this

#11 fella10

fella10
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I thank you all for your input, sharing your knowledge and your personal opinions of these two items has helped us make our decision, .... I didn't see value in either cover, but your posts have convinced us we should give the range cover a chance to prove itself, .... again, thanks to all of you for your help

Edited by fella10, 04 May 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

The sink cover is made of pressboard. If the faucet drips a little after normal use, well, you can guess what starts happening to the laminate. Tried the cover for awhile. It now lives under the side dinette. To me, it was a PITA to take off and on.

If I were to use anything as a sink cover, it would be a cutting board with a wired mesh opening so the faucet could drip through.

Since I got rid of the cover, I now keep a dish drainer in mine. More practical for my needs.

Eileen
  • partslady9 likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#13 trikerbob

trikerbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 163 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none--sold
  • Interests:Music-(I'm an old drummer), R/C aircraft, motorcycles, hiking.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Eileen, Lisa does the same thing. We don't use the sink cover much anymore. She keeps her dish drain stored in the sink when we travel. We use the range cover quite a bit as extra counter space.

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,358 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm with Triker Bob and a lot of other folks. We got the range cover, not the sink cover. I like the idea of a cake pan rack for the sink, but a cover is pretty much useless. When we pull the Casita, I stuff a water jug (you know, the square ones, not your typical, one gallon milk jug style) in the sink. It keeps it from flying around and is readily available for use.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#15 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

The sink cover can be put in the open drawer for more counter space.
  • dblcola, Babs&Chris and Tampa Rick like this
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package