16 replies to this topic

#1 fella10

fella10
  • Casita Club Member
  • 430 posts
  • Local time: 03:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Made the change today, just in time before construction started on the Liberty. So all these past weeks our thinking has been centered on the Liberty, now that must change, any thoughts, suggestions, advice, or ideas for traveling in or making comfortable a 17' Spirit Deluxe will be greatly appreciated. thanks to all who will post........James

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Made the change today, just in time before construction started on the Liberty. So all these past weeks our thinking has been centered on the Liberty, now that must change, any thoughts, suggestions, advice, or ideas for traveling in or making comfortable a 17' Spirit Deluxe will be greatly appreciated. thanks to all who will post........James

We just bought a 2011 Spirit Deluxe after trailering in a larger trailer for years. We love it! Just went on a short 3 day trip...our first time out....and that little trailer is wonderful. We leave the bed down all the time. We have a memory foam pad...slept like a baby. Once you get use to moving around...we found there was plenty of room for my wife and I plus our two dogs. I pull our trailer with a Chevy P/U 2500HD....doesn't even feel like I am towing. Good luck with your SD.......great trailer!!!!
  • Woodyboy and Babs&Chris like this

#3 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 04:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

You may want to think about this. It is the only "wish I had" in my new SD, and that would be an extra 110 outlet under the window of the side dinette. There is a double outlet on the front bench under the table so it isn't a big deal without it, but would be better for the coffee pot, crock pot, lap top, or whatever without the cord under the table where you hit it with your legs or the dog and cat bump into it. Just a thought--Casita may not be able to put one there, but I do wish I had asked.
  • SKYTALKER and partslady9 like this

#4 leonmot

leonmot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 202 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the post and thanks for answering because I just send an email requesting an extra outlet as was suggested it. I hope it is not to late.
Thanks,
leon

#5 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

It may not be possible because the wiring might have to be on the outside of the wall, and you may not like that, so please talk to your salesperson to be sure you'll be happy!

#6 leonmot

leonmot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Spoke with Carla and decided to put it near the lights over the table. I'll have to route the wire to keep it out of my face but the should be no problem.

#7 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm jealous!!!! When do you pick it up? You might look at the Forum on Spirits and Spirit Deluxes and see the post I made and the suggestions about storage on that bulkhead wall between the bed and the side dinette. On our trip back we quickly saw that we needed some place to put our glasses and reading material and the remote control at bedtime.

#8 timeout

timeout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Casita SD 16'

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I would really appreciate any information as to why you chose a 17' vs 16'. I'm trying to make a decision and am collecting all the info I can.

Thanks

#9 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

I would really appreciate any information as to why you chose a 17' vs 16'. I'm trying to make a decision and am collecting all the info I can.

Thanks

When I bought mine off ebay over 10 years ago I had no idea that there was a 16 and a 17 but since then I've found a couple of deal breakers for the 16, the size of the fridge, and no screen door as being the 2 biggest

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#10 PH2

PH2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:boondocking, kayaking, biking, hiking, photography, diving

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Bill & Karen,
How tall are you? 16' specs: interior height 5'10''. 17' interior height 6'1-1/2". I'm 6' and would never consider anything with a shorter headroom than me. Years ago I looked at a short ceiling RV and got a crick in my neck from just the few minutes I was inside. That made up my mind then that if I ever bought anything I was going to be able to stand up like a homo sapien and not have to make like an ape. Recently, in Yosemite, I met a new (to him) 16' Casita owner and on seeing mine he said was going to sell his and get a 17' model so that he could stand up straight when inside. It could be the difference between loving and hating what you own.
PH2

#11 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

There are numerous differences between the 16' and 17'.

Here is the comparison chart from my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide:

13 and 16 vs 17 comparison.jpg

Eileen

PS: One change to this chart is that the built-in microwave is no longer available in any model.
  • timeout likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#12 Eloy & Irma

Eloy & Irma
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita SD 16 ft.
  • Interests:Restoring vintage radios, metal detecting, traveling military space available,attending veteran events,

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thanks

Thanks

We were really set on getting a 16ft SD till we went to the factory . We changed our minds because we felt we really need the screen door because we will be traveling with miniture schnouzer . 2nd was the the 17 has a freezer compartment and the 16 does not and I plan to use the freezer a lot .especially when we get a hankering for ice cream . The door step was another reason to get the 17th . Now we are undecided beteen the liberty and the Spirit after attending the Blubonett Rally and everyone that showed us their Liberty talked about the versitility of the sleeping arrangment . We definitly know we do not want the freedom and I can not say anything about the Independence since I have never seen one but most people don't seem to like it . Whichever one you decide on We know you will enjoy your Casita

#13 timeout

timeout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thank you all for the information. The screen, step, freezer, extra water and storage may cinch the deal for me. I have compared the specs but it was the personal input I needed.
This site is SO helpful.

#14 timeout

timeout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

There are numerous differences between the 16' and 17'.

Here is the comparison chart from my A-Z Casita Owner's Guide:

Eileen

PS: One change to this chart is that the built-in microwave is no longer available in any model.

This was helpful and current - thanks!

#15 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

A big consideration between the 16 and the 17 is your tow vehicle--what do you have--are you going to buy a vehicle for towing--what gas mileage is acceptable to you? You have a lot more options with a 16 than you do with a 17.